Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689701
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming mats from terrain pdfs?  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Gaming mats from terrain pdfs?
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:17:43 AM »
So, I have been toying with this idea... you can purchase pdf packages to make 6x6" tiles (usually for prinitng on foamcore). An example is the fantasy packages from world works games:

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&product=17

The way this works, is when you purchase the design, you are given a .zip file that contains pdf files of the different graphics that you can print out to make a modular table.

I don't feel like printing and assembling dozens of tiles to make a modular board... I would much rather be able to piece together the files to make a set 48"x48" table setup and have it printed on vinyl. The pdf files are not just a simple photo though.  Each file has the 6x6 tiles with a bit of added image on each dimension for use when folding over the edges of foamcore, so that would have to be cropped down.

Being a non-computer-savvy type, any suggestions on the best way to go about this? 
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Gaming mats from terrain pdfs?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:23:31 AM »
Check out this topic:
http://www.data-sphere.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2210

There are several people who did this and it sounds good (AND CHEAP!).
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
Yes, cropping the required portion of the image is easy. Just open the PDF file in GIMP or PS, select the right page, and go from there.

Be aware that at least in WWG's case, the tile graphics don't tile exactly at the edges; probably because it wouldn't be visible anyway with the noticeable gap between foamcore tiles.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Might you be able to direct me to a tutorial of how to stitch together all the photos into one larger picture in GIMP?  I tried to figure it out myself and could not get it to work, and had little luck finding a tutorial.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 11:21:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Might you be able to direct me to a tutorial of how to stitch together all the photos into one larger picture in GIMP?  I tried to figure it out myself and could not get it to work, and had little luck finding a tutorial.

Its in GIMP the same like in PS that I´m using for those things. Its all about layers and how to move stuff on layers to fit together. Here a Vidtutorial about the workign with layers in GIMP.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:17 AM »
Thanks, I will have a look at the tutorial.  Do you have any idea if there are a limit to the number of layers one can use?  Using 6"x6" tiles, a 4'x4' board will need 64 different tiles...

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »
Tricky question :-) The Programm itself has no limitation of layers that you could reach with a project. BUT The really main limitation is your Hardware.
To have a proper quality for a pritn you should have 180-300 dpi resolution. You can easily multiplicate this number with your area you want to have. A File with this Pixelsizes is extremly large and each layer you put on this area will increase this filesize noticeable.

I´ve done a Gaming mat for my daughters birthday a few weeks ago in PS. Farmville stuff  o_o. The mat has the size of 84cm x 120cm. The Finished printfile was around 300MB. But the Working PSD file was 3.5 GB large (65 layers)!!!

I´ve got an Intel Hexacore Processor with 4.5Ghz on each core, 64GB RAM and two GTX 970 in SLI, because I´m doing Renderingstuff and Virtual Productdesign with high Polycounts for my work on it. This machine has its problems with the Workingfile in the end! Sometime for a colorchange or Layeraddition it needed 10 seconds to show.
So my hint would be, try to keep the Workingfile as small as possible. Merge constantly the Layers to the background if possible.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »
I'm not a PS expert but I think you can compress your layers into one, should save some space. I would take a copy of all your work first so you can back and tweak if you want, then make a "printable" version in which all your layers into compressed one.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:47:09 PM »
I kept reading "gaming mats from terrain mdfs" and was really confused when nobody talked about that o_o

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »
I kept reading "gaming mats from terrain mdfs" and was really confused when nobody talked about that o_o

Another novel idea, but you'd be hard pressed storing the result rolled up...  ;D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Bazhell

• Assistant
  • Train the Brain - Use it or Lose it
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
I dont want to be the badguy here but wouldnt that be illegal because of copyright reasons?

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
As Long as you printed it for yourself in personal use its not illegal! But its forbitten to sell it