Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Show me your campaigns!  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
Show me your campaigns!
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
Campaigns are always my favourite part of wargaming, and there's simply so many different ways to do it, and each game system lends itself better to different ways of campaigning.

I'm super interested in seeing what other gaming groups enjoy, and what works for them. What tips and tricks, what aids (ladders, quick reference sheets, cards, maps etc) do you use, what ones didn't work, etc. Tell me the tales of your campaigns!

Probably my favourite ever campaign was for Battlefleet Gothic. I think I only won about one game in four, and my opponent rolled up so many Bridge Smashed critical results that it was demoralising, but my GOD we had some fun! I think our most 'successful' campaign was the Blood in the Badlands campaign from GW for WHFB. We played that from start to finish and most people were able to make it for the final battle so that was really good. We also ran another of the GW campaigns, the Crusade of Fire for 40K, which was also a lot of fun.

So what about you guys? I'm specifically interested in what works well for SAGA...

• Scientist
Re: Show me your campaigns!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
Come on guys, I don't believe no one here has played in a campaign!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:31:55 AM »
Come on guys, I don't believe no one here has played in a campaign!

For what it is worth, we are still running our second multi-player Dux Brittaniarum campaign. The first one ended after 81 raids and battles (nearly 2 years in real time) and was in fact terminated with 2 huge mega - battles because some of the players had grown so strong they were no longer a match for others. Moreover, more players wanted to join in and so after a short break of about 2 months we started our second 20 player campaign. Last week the 34th raid/battle was fought. So far the Romano British have the upper-hand, despite being outnumbered almost 4 to 1, but winning 3 times as many fights as their opponents. The Saxons are doing also rather well but had a few crucial losses during battles. The Picts are a bit timid for the time being, and the Irish have successfully raided a few times but again lost a few important fights.
One of the Major  Pict players has sided with the Romano British to all practical purposes, but then again one of the Romano British players has joined the Saxons!

I wish I could take credit for the whole set-up but that would be utterly unfair. The whole campaign is based on the ideas from Chris Stoessen who introduced the concept of Major and Minor players With a few tweaks this has worked like a charm! George Anderson supplied a few extra scenarios which we integrated into the campaign for extra variety.
Some other TFL people suggested additional items like a better honour point system which we also added.

To be honest it is a bit of work but extremely rewarding. I'm the game- master so I don't get to play but that's fine with me. Since we nearly always play on Friday evening I try to have the AARs ready over the weekend. These are then 'publicised' at our forum. Somehow they are popular since we "only' have 21 players but some of the AARs have been read by 80+ people.
Each player has his or her ( yes, we have at least one rather successful 'Warlady') character sheet ( I keep the copies ) and their advancements, reinforcements and setbacks are meticulously  noted.

I made separate mailing list for the factions and let them plan their attacks month by month. After getting these I inform the intended targets and let them sort out their defences.
On occasion, if one of the players involved just can't make it because of RL situations the raid or battle is cancelled or if he or she agrees fought by a proxy player.

But the most rewarding thing about the whole campaign is that many if not most of the players have started painting their own armies! In the beginning they mostly used my or another players' armies but now they almost all have their own British, Saxon, Pict or Irish warbands. One player recently decided to switch sides just to keep the campaign flow going. He had just finished his last Saxons and is now painting up a Pictisch warband. lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:34:46 AM by WillieB »
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
Wow, that's a huge effort from everyone in your group. Coordinating 20 players must have been a logistical nightmare!

Give me a look under the hood! Was the campaign map based? What were the win conditions? What were the rewards for winning, or penalties for losing? You mentioned major and minor players, what was that all about? What would you do differently if you were to run it again? Any tips or hints for someone trying to get SAGA up and running in a group largely dominated by GW and FFG?

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »
PM sent.

Saga is also played (a lot!) but not as a campaign.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
Link to our current Lion Rampant (aka Haggis Rampant!):

http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/haggis-rampant-campaign-game-1-actually.html

Happy to take proper pics of the games as these were only quick snaps.

If you're interested please contact me via Personal Message.

Darrell.