Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stern Parliamentary Regt. of Foote  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Stern Parliamentary Regt. of Foote
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 10:58:21 AM »
Highlanders would be in plaid (not kilts) and wear saffron shirts (leine)

Exactly where Braveheart got it all wrong, as the belted plaid came in use around 1600 (and was worn completely different to the version in said movie).

Rob Roy was closer to the real thing, though I suspect the kilts and plaids in that movie were separate like the modern ones (the real belted plaid is made up of one large piece of wool, 5-6 to 10-12 yards long, depending on the status/wealth of the wearer).

As late as in 1745-46, some 'highland charges' in the warmer climate of England were conducted wearing only the leine (often with the rim tied in a knot between the knees to prevent it flying up  ;)

Sorry for this digression, but it is one of my 'issues' as I own a belted plaid, and really wish that someone would make some nice '45 minis with this garment...  ;)

I'll get my bonnet, now...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »
Highlanders would be in plaid (not kilts) and wear saffron shirts (leine)

Exactly where Braveheart got it all wrong, as the belted plaid came in use around 1600 (and was worn completely different to the version in said movie).

Rob Roy was closer to the real thing, though I suspect the kilts and plaids in that movie were separate like the modern ones (the real belted plaid is made up of one large piece of wool, 5-6 to 10-12 yards long, depending on the status/wealth of the wearer).

As late as in 1745-46, some 'highland charges' in the warmer climate of England were conducted wearing only the leine (often with the rim tied in a knot between the knees to prevent it flying up  ;)

Sorry for this digression, but it is one of my 'issues' as I own a belted plaid, and really wish that someone would make some nice '45 minis with this garment...  ;)

I'll get my bonnet, now...

We think alike Argonor :D the Redoubt Higlanders are the best ones for clothing that I have seen IMO for ECW some with trews too. I think in Rob Roy they got it right for the most part wearing it over the shoulder and used as a blanket/hood if I remember rightly from the film.

Braveheart was romantic piffle, an enjoyable film but frankly bollox. The scots would have been very similar if not exactly akin to Gallowglass and Kern if highlanders

I would love to see some pukka highlanders and have a hankering if I have the cash to get some made by Outpost Jeff/Martin Baker next year if I have the cash (a big if) as it would compiment their Highwaymen range. Possibly starting with a few characters from the Rob Roy film and then Clansmen packs. Rob Roy is set prior to the 45 though and if I recall nearer the 1715 rebellion as Rob Roy was an old boy by the `45 and said to be a gov`t sympathiser

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »
Like the figures and painting, very striking

those guys look quite flamboyant with their pink tassles holding their socks up  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
We think alike Argonor :D the Redoubt Higlanders are the best ones for clothing that I have seen IMO for ECW some with trews too. I think in Rob Roy they got it right for the most part wearing it over the shoulder and used as a blanket/hood if I remember rightly from the film.

Absolutely, I've slept under open skies wearing my belted plaid and my kilt shirt - you just unfasten the buckle and wrap the upper part around your torso - you can also pull it over your head, or draw it togethher around your neck and fasten it like a cloak with the buckle - all depending on the temperature  :D

The Redoubt ones are, as I recall, wearing a separate kilt-and-plaid. I think Metal Magic made some fantasy highlanders wearing a real belted plaid, but no bonnets and targes and baskethited swords, only massive two-handed swords (why does everyone seem to think that the Claymore (Cleidh Mór, or big knife if I remember correctly) is a massive 2 meter 2-handed sword???)...

Would be absolutely great, if you got them to make some  o_o  ;D

NOW - back to the wonderful minis on display here:

Who is Bane, and how much does he charge for painting minis?   :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
...and parliamentary forces wore orange sashes....

There is also some evidence that The Fairfaxes' Yorkshire armies and maybe the Eastern Association wore blue sashes. I believe that some Generals might also have authorised sashes based on the colour of their own personal standard. Orange is particularly associated with the Earl of Essex, who was one of the main commanders from the start.

My own forces are based on those of Black Tom Fairfax and use blue  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

Who is Bane, and how much does he charge for painting minis?   :)

Niels,

Baner is a member here, so you can pm him and he'll get an email...

Obviously can't say what he'd charge, as I guess it depends on the project. Can assure you though that I felt I got my money's worth  ;)

Richard

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »
Okies.... I like the name 'Bane' better, though  lol

Must enquire - do not have the money for that kind of projects right now, but may have eventually...  ;)