Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old West Gaming Mat (Studio asking for input)  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Old West Gaming Mat (Studio asking for input)
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:49:40 PM »
So,

I've recently picked up a couple of excellent gaming mats over at Deep Cut Studios.  I emailed them to ask about a custom Old West desert town mat, and they stated they'd been considering making one.  When I sent them some pictures of my games they responded, asking me for more information and what I'd be looking for in an Old West gaming mat.

I told them I'd hop on here and see what folks wanted.

Goal: 6'x4' (and likely 4'x4' version) Old West mat w/ roads/trails.

So, does anyone have a particular layout they prefer?  Straight roads or curved?  T-junction or not?  Hit me with whatever you guys like/don't like.  If you want to sketch some ideas, throw em out there.  I told the guys I'd email them back in a day or two with some input.

Personally I'd like a main road which becomes a T-junction at one end (allowing for a train station layout) w/ one "main intersection" and a couple of off-shoot roads w/ smaller trails.  Possibly have the entire thing canted 5-10 degrees to make it a bit more visually interesting.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old West Gaming Mat (Studio asking for input)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »
Hotz has a Old West town gaming mat which looks pretty nice and seems to be quite popular.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
I think the 4x4 version would be most generic if it had a central main road, so you could set up the traditional cowtown. The 6x4 would be the place to add the T-junction as you suggest, as then you can have the corner saloon/hotel and train station. I'd certainly be interested in at least one of these.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »
Cherno,

I have the Hotz Mat and it's nice, works well but it's not nearly the level of quality of the Deep Cut studio mats.  I actually sent them a picture of my town on the Hotz mat to give them an idea of what I'd like - just nicer.  lol

I like the idea of the 4x4 w/ the main intersection and only the 6x4 with the T-junction.  How do you guys feel about a slight cant to the layout of the roads, or would you prefer them perfectly parallel to the mat?

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
Cherno,

I have the Hotz Mat and it's nice, works well but it's not nearly the level of quality of the Deep Cut studio mats.  I actually sent them a picture of my town on the Hotz mat to give them an idea of what I'd like - just nicer.  lol

I like the idea of the 4x4 w/ the main intersection and only the 6x4 with the T-junction.  How do you guys feel about a slight cant to the layout of the roads, or would you prefer them perfectly parallel to the mat?

My brain has a hard time dealing with asymmetrical board layouts.  So I would prefer a parallel mat.

I'd be most interested in a 6x4 mat, and the T at the end is fine (if enough room is left for both a station and the rail lines.)  I'd be careful about putting in too many other roads though...differing size buildings might make it trick for us get everything laid out well if there are too many branching roads.

I know its a trope for the Hollywood/spaghetti western to have your town in the middle of a desert, but I have envisioned my town in someplace like Montana or Wyoming, so I had always thought dirt roads with a dirt fringe where the buildings are set up, and then greenery behind the buildings.  But I realize I'm in the minority.  Heck, my current chunk of vinyl is dark brown (but only because I don't have a better portable alternative.)  That said...any chance for some green space?

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »
I would go for either a 4x4 foot or 4x6 foot mat with a cross roads in the middle to build a town around.  I would be happy with either the roads parallel to the mat edges, or canted at an angle.  
Mike

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
I hear ya, I have two of their mats and neither properly fit the Old West at the moment, one is Steppe and one is Wasteland.  I don't know what they'll use for the Old West one --- I'll ask them for some imagery before they release it.

Honestly it's a simple graphic layer to put a road system down onto one of their mats.  They do "custom" requests so I imagine it'd be easy to ask them for any of their mats w/ the roads added once they develop them.

I will mention to them the need for decent space between roads, so larger structures can fit.  If the roads are canted (they asked about this) I think it would be 5-10 degrees and nothing crazy.  I'll wait another day or two before I email them peoples opinions.

I do think the 4'x4' w/ the main intersection and the 6'x4' featuring the T-junction is a really solid idea.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
Interesting . I have a 6x4 Hotz which does the job. I would be interested in mat  that could be put together to make a larger size if required. So roads etc go off at central point .

Something that's not desert coloured as per the earlier comment would be useful too
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
What do you guys think about the Steppe background?  It's kind of a mix between grass and full desert.

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-4-x6-steppe-theme

I have this mat sans roads, and love it, but I'm not sure if they'll want to do a full proper desert one.

PS: I'll add the central roads bit to the list.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »
That's not bad at all.  It's a decent compromise between grass and straight up desert.  Although that plains mat is lovely too.

Which of their mats do you have, the PVC or the cloth?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
I have mine in the mouse-pad material (they take it down when not available).  It's a 2mm thick mouse-pad and it's absolutely lovely (similarly available from other companies such as Kraken Wargames, Fat Mats etc. from what I can tell).  Pricey but lovely.  I'll put some Old West pics together on that mat and post them.  I also have the Wasteland mat but it's not scaled correctly and is too aggressive for an Old West town, so I'll use it for wilderness and other gaming.

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-4-x6-wasteland-theme

The Steppe is just fantastic (my opinion) as it's a nice mix of beige/green and could very well be used almost anywhere.  It's not a full on field per se, but it's a great compromise.

Offline Necros

• Scientist
    • Blackwater Gulch
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
I like this one, from Frontline Gaming
http://store.frontlinegaming.org/fat-mat%3A-western-waste-3x3%28sold-out%29/dp/6363

It's 3x3 though. Been meaning to get one, but now it looks like they're sold out :(
Blackwater Gulch - Gangfights in the Old West

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 06:58:01 PM »
I would really prefer to get it on neoprene, if that is ever an option.

Looking at how much I've spent on 4Ground buildings, at this point price is no object!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
Yeah, from what I understand the mouse-pad material stuff is removed when it's not in stock (instead of stating "out of stock").  The Fatz Mat looks okay but I'll prefer no large objects printed on the mat as that really kills its versatility.  That being said, the Deep Cut guys do 3'x3' mats as well, so no reason to not consider that an option.  Necros, what do you like about the design in particular?  Any stand-out elements you'd like to see available?

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
I recently picked up their Wastelands Mat for my Wild West games...but would happily pick up a 4'x4' or 3'x3' Steppe Mat with a single dirt road running up the middle. That would be handy for all sorts of genres. Less keen on a Crossroads or T-Junction.