Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690861
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old West Gaming Mat (Studio asking for input)  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Old West Gaming Mat (Studio asking for input)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
I'll pass that on to them.  I'm more and more leaning towards asking for the Steppe option (even if just an option) as I think it'd be useful for tons of genres...medieval, fantasy, napoleonics, etc. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 08:26:22 PM »
I'm looking for a mat to use for Texas and India games,looks like the Steppe pattern will do,what do you guys think ?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
Texas has about every imaginable type of terrain...India I couldn't tell ya.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »
And hopefully the are careful about scaling it for 28mm (for me at least).  I've looked at another company's dirt road mat, and I didn't like it because the roads and wheel ruts were too big.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
Yeah I'll mention that - it's one issue I have with my wasteland's mat (which to be fair is fantastical...not an Old West mat) --- some of the stuff doesn't scale well with 28mm, particularly the cracking desert surface.

Offline Necros

• Scientist
    • Blackwater Gulch
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 10:01:54 PM »
Yeah, from what I understand the mouse-pad material stuff is removed when it's not in stock (instead of stating "out of stock").  The Fatz Mat looks okay but I'll prefer no large objects printed on the mat as that really kills its versatility.  That being said, the Deep Cut guys do 3'x3' mats as well, so no reason to not consider that an option.  Necros, what do you like about the design in particular?  Any stand-out elements you'd like to see available?

I think I just like how it has the roads on there.. One pet peeve I have is when there's supposed to be some kind of road there, but it's the same green or brown color all over the place. My own boards are like that now, so I'd like to get something that looks more like streets for a town. And there's that graveyard looking section in the top that could be good for using as a graveyard :) Or, if I didn't want that I could cover it up with one of my larger buildings.
Blackwater Gulch - Gangfights in the Old West

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
So here is what I like, some of it fits in with what has already been said. I would prefer something with a more prairie flavor to it than the typical desert that seems to the the typical offering. From an aesthetic point of view I prefer that roads are not parallel to the table edge although entering and existing at 90 degrees is not necessarily an issue. I prefer roads that have a gentle curve to them so you can't see one end of the town from the other down the main road. From mini eye level it gives the impression of a larger town because the road disappears within the town. But that really only works on a road that runs the long length of the board. 6'x4' is my preferred size, 4'x4' is fine too, don't see much use for anything smaller than that, a 4'x8' could be useful. Wider roads than normally seen on most game boards to give better separation between buildings.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:07:01 PM by Heisler »
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »
Awesome, I'm going to put all this stuff together and send it their way in a bit. 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »
Update:

The guys at Deep Cut said they'd consider the info I sent them, but they're considering an overlay for roads instead (something which I think would be fantastic if they pulled it off in the neoprene stuff).  I told them to keep me posted and they did say I could pay an additional cost for them to model roads onto a mat of my choosing (I elected not to at this time due to cost).

I'll let you guys know if I see anything put up on their site.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
That's would be good. Arriving late on this thread but agree with the 4'x4' and 6'x4' with the T

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 11:23:23 PM »
Update:

The guys at Deep Cut said they'd consider the info I sent them, but they're considering an overlay for roads instead (something which I think would be fantastic if they pulled it off in the neoprene stuff).  I told them to keep me posted and they did say I could pay an additional cost for them to model roads onto a mat of my choosing (I elected not to at this time due to cost).

I'll let you guys know if I see anything put up on their site.

Elbows, can you ballpark how much it would be to do the custom mat?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »
They quoted me an additional £50 for "design" costs if I was to have a custom mat made, so it'd be a bit pricey.  I would imagine the end design would be completely worthwhile, but it may be better to wait and see what alternatives pop-up.  The modular roads are particularly interesting to me if they release lay-overs in neoprene...as I could simply apply them to both of my current mats and other gaming mats I've accrued over the years.