Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:31:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kit for Rhodesia  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: Kit for Rhodesia
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 10:30:26 PM »
Might be a daft question, but is it just the port side door that ought to be removed or both sides? 

(I have a 1/100 Heller kit that might have been overly hacked about...  whoops.)

I took off the starboard side doors as well, but left the pilots door intact. Seen pics of K-car with starboard cabin door closed. All G-car pics I've seen have both sets of cabin doors removed inc port side front door.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »
Carl I am like you,I have both the Diecast and Heller  kits,I will dremel the door away ,slap on a gun,spray and play. I like the diecast ,I have Aml 90's from S&S models ,but I don 't know if they still make them. I bought four years ago.,they are very nice. Model Miniatures are real nice ,but a little pricy. Again I try to do a nice job,but again I am the only one inour group who knows or cares about these things in Africa.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »
I like your approach Jeurgen! The die cast looks like a good model and if stripped down the paint can be removed using caustic soda and boiling water...I will try the plastic version first though as I have ordered one already. The AML 90 is a great looking kit and it is such a shame that so few people manufacture it in 20mm.
The only problem left for now is a few buildings and huts to scratch build...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
The armoured cars were 'Elands', licence-built in the RSA, but cosmetically the same as the Panhard AML. The bulk of them were 'loaned to Rhodesia' and were 90mm versions. RhAF Regiment had the 60mm version for airfield defence, some of which were loaned out on at least one external.

I've read in at least one source that the Brandt 60mm gun-mortar was much more useful than the GIAT F1 (90mm) for the bulk of asymmetric warfare purposes, although they would have been useless had any tanks been encountered. Given that Denel subsequently made its own longer-ranged version of the Brandt 60mm, it clearly has its uses.

The Portuguese apparently used only the AML 60 in Angola and Mozambique... or at least what I've read so far indicates.

Shaun from S&S has said numerous times that older models can sometimes be found in stock and if the mould is up to it, doing a run of models might not be an issue. Worth an e-mail perhaps, presuming he doesn't spot this thread and pipe up himself.

As for the 25pdr, do you really need one? Their use was somewhat limited day to day and finding them actually on the battlefield, as opposed to miles away, would be extremely unlikely unless ambushed in transit. The Rhodesians didn't use the Quad tractor, or the limber, but used Bedfords in the early days and MAPs etc, later on.

As said the Empress model has the muzzle-brake though, which the Airfix one does not... and from memory I recall the Airfix gun was quite a primitive kit. If it's a 'must have' for your collection, splashing out on the Empress one might be worth it.    

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
You may have a point about the 25Pdr Arlequin! I keep forgetting that this is not a Rapid Fire game, maybe the cannons will have to wait a while. The AML is indeed tricky to find, just one on ebay at the moment, this too may be pushed onto the "to do" list.

So far the only item easy to acquire has been the infantry and the helicoptor. I can hardly wait to acquire some of the odd anti mine vehicles and even the old 152. If nothing else this period is good for the oddball gear.

Can I ask which door gunners you Chaps use? Is it the SHQ M60 armed figure? Aircrew will be Elheim but I cannot spot any twin mgs anywhere.
Thanks

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
I know S&S models makes resin Shantys and Tinned Fruit  makes 20 already built Shantys and such ,usually available on E-Bay UK. I even just ordered some,I also have the S&S models shantys real nice.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »
If you are going for small operations of platoon or company size I would not bother too much about artillery unless your rules say you have to have the models off table to use them. 

I went down the imagi-nation route because I had quite a lot of stuff from various nations that I had been given or bought over many years.  If you would like a look at my imagi-nation it is on our club website:

http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Intro.htm

And the various armed forces

http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Armed_Forces.htm
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Massu! Your website is amazing.

I HAVE LIVED.

Now that I have read a little of your efforts I feel I can say the above statement! The leopard girls!!! Haha total brilliance in miniature and probably one of the best miniature wargame sites that I have ever visited. If you don't mind I will put a link on my blog because the wargaming world needs to see this.

It has been such a pleasant surprise to uncover some amazingly skillfull and knowledgeable people on here. What started out as just asking about a fairly obscure conflict has uncovered some of the best models I have encountered in 30 years of gaming and now one of the most entertaining websites ever.

I am off to sands to have a look at their shanties....this company seems to be highly regarded (and used) on here!

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 05:41:06 PM »
Found some WIP pictures of some Alouettes I made a few years ago, in the deepest recesses of my Photobucket. If they are of any use I post them in this thread.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
Ash your work would be really useful to see, I have ordered a kit and will acquire the crew this week...it would be really useful to see how you went about your work.
I have to admit that I may have saved a lot of your pics for inspiration and reference already!

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »
Here you go:

Ignore the ammo feeds on these, I got them the wrong way round. Belts fed up between the guns, with brass catchers on the outside.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
Cracking work Ash!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
Massu! Your website is amazing.

I HAVE LIVED.

Now that I have read a little of your efforts I feel I can say the above statement! The leopard girls!!! Haha total brilliance in miniature and probably one of the best miniature wargame sites that I have ever visited. If you don't mind I will put a link on my blog because the wargaming world needs to see this.

It has been such a pleasant surprise to uncover some amazingly skillfull and knowledgeable people on here. What started out as just asking about a fairly obscure conflict has uncovered some of the best models I have encountered in 30 years of gaming and now one of the most entertaining websites ever.

I am off to sands to have a look at their shanties....this company seems to be highly regarded (and used) on here!

Thank you very much for your kind words.

By all means link to your blog all comments and ideas welcome

Alan

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
Ash, thank you for sharing your work with the conversions on the helicoptors...simply amazing and very very useful as I intend to make a Heller kit into one of these! Can I ask where did you get the double MG? I do hope you did not scratch build it otherwise I am doomed.
Again, thank you amazing work now saved to its own folder for later reference...

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
Just to let you guys know I am blown away by your work. The web must be huge because I have never chanced on your work before despite searching many times. In a bid to spread the word I have included a couple of links on my blog. A few of you chaps on here are dragging the hobby (OK me at least) up by the boot straps.
Thanks

http://solowargamingintheuk.blogspot.co.uk/