Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kit for Rhodesia  (Read 6959 times)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: Kit for Rhodesia
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
Can I ask where did you get the double MG? I do hope you did not scratch build it otherwise I am doomed.

Guns are from Elhiem, the mount and ammo box/support was scratch built from plasticard. The bit holding the guns is very basic, a piece of brass rod runs through the whole thing, one end pins it all to the side step, the top end simply has a bit of right angle strut attached, onto which the guns are glued.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »
Thanks Ash, it looks like it was store bought-top quality! Once I have the model at the right stage I will attempt something similar...s and s and Underfire seem to be the go to guys re Rhodesia.

Again thank you for the help.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »
Can I ask what colour Rhodesian vehicles were painted? I imagine Humbrol 30? Or Vallejo??
Also the base colour of their uniform?
Later this week I will purchase some Rhodesian infantry and make a start scratch building some heavy MGs...thanks for any suggestions as the info is simply not out there

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »
Can I ask what colour Rhodesian vehicles were painted? I imagine Humbrol 30? Or Vallejo??
Later this week I will purchase some Rhodesian infantry and make a start scratch building some heavy MGs...thanks for any suggestions as the info is simply not out there

It depends on when and where - https://johnwynnehopkins.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/rhodesian-vehicle-camouflage/

The site has lots of useful pictures of his models and is worth a look.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »

Humbrol 30 as a base is pretty good, I tried it on one of S&S's PUMA MPVs, then used Vallejo 'japan uniform' for the splodges:

For Rhodesian camo; Vallejo 'dark sand' looks the part.

Which HMGs are you after?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:03:23 PM by Ash »

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 06:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the colour tip...it is really useful to find out what others have done and what works. The Japanese brown makes for a very effective camo colour.

What is the base colour that matches the Rhodesian uniform please? I have sent for an Osprey 1965-80 but as a time saver any advice on this would be great.

What is everyone using for Landrovers? Airfix or resin? Is there a type that was used that is available in model form?

For the MG I may try the twin barrel as you have done or I may whimp out and buy the Platoon 20 (?) door gunner with M60. Having said that another Heller kit is on the way so maybe both or the troop transport that you kindly posted a plan of....that one looks interesting.

Can I ask what became of these helicoptors once Mugabe took over? Is there a national museum or doers the present government want all this forgotten?

Thanks for the help...my postie will be busy in the coming days. I look forward to seeing other peoples work-so far it has been an awesome learning curve

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »
Most of the helicopters were on loan from the SADF, so they went back there before 'independence'. Those that actually belonged to the former RhAF now-ZDF stayed in service, as did the former Rhodesian MAPs and other vehicles.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
What is the base colour that matches the Rhodesian uniform please? I have sent for an Osprey 1965-80 but as a time saver any advice on this would be great.

For Rhodesian camo; Vallejo 'dark sand' looks the part.

You might also want to get Osprey Rhodesian Light Infantryman 1961-80 (warrior 177),

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »
Thanks again for the help, this is making life easier. It is a pity that there is no permanent place for people like me to gawp at the equipment.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »

What is everyone using for Landrovers? Airfix or resin? Is there a type that was used that is available in model form?

The Osprey MAA 183 is free to download as a pdf from Osprey
 https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/free-ebook---to-celebrate-the-return-of-our-modern-african-wars-series/

I use Airfix Landrovers that I got when they were very cheap on the Airfix "Last Chance to Buy" section on the website - always worth checking http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/last-chance-to-buy.html

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 08:34:56 AM »
Thanks again for the help, this is making life easier. It is a pity that there is no permanent place for people like me to gawp at the equipment.

There is military museum at Gweru that has aircraft, vehicles and what not, covering the army, air force and police. I would imagine that it is themed towards the 'liberation struggles' and has been 'de-colonised' in terms of how it is presented, i.e. it will follow the ZANU PF version of history... but does not necessarily mean it's entirely biased and indeed the hardware is the hardware after all. 

What is actually there I couldn't say though.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
Massu what a great link! Thanks for that, I ordered the same osprey....typical but now I can read it early. What I would not give to visit the museum in Gweru...that just made my bucket list. I was randomly passing Loei airport in Thailand when I chanced upon an open air and free museum full of Vietnam war era vehicles mortars and even a Sky Raider, it is so good to see equipment other than British stuff for a change.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
It is a pity that there is no permanent place for people like me to gawp at the equipment.

This may help:

http://www.newrhodesian.ca/viewforum.php?f=84&sid=db29f3906943089dfd21e50b9741170c

Have a look in 'personal kit'

.. & here:

http://www.newrhodesian.ca/viewforum.php?f=45

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:59:21 PM by Ash »

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
Wow they are fantastic links Ash! I search around but never find stuff this good. I will print out the manual I actually love it! The uniforms and equipment are really useful as a painting guide as well.brilliant, thank you.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
"As for the 25pdr, do you really need one?"

..being 'devil's advocate' here...you do not need one in a traditional platoon 'real scale' game like Force on Force, Chain of Command or similar.

However if you wished to play the game using a rules system such as Bolt Action (which has more in common with a company level game really) then its 'feasible' that you could have one available for play on table.

The comments by Arlequin stand however that the weapon was used in a largely indirect fire role though IIRC there was some 'direct fire' operations in support of cross Zambesi incursions by Rhodie guns....still the guns were on the Rhodie side of the river!

Frankly it's a wee bit fanciful to include such a weapon on table but if you want it and it looks good then there is no reason why you shouldn't use it...but to maintain some limit on 'sensibleness' I'd allow one type of heavy asset like this to be employed...call it a 'special mission' with an attached gun section/weapon if you need to justify in your mind...it really depends on how you perceive your games to be ..more diorama with minimal scale distortion or representational with a larger scale distortion...your choice  ;D

In what represents a shameless plug you can get some ideas here.

http://agrabbagofgames.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/chain-of-command-modern-bush.html

Oh, just because he posts erratically don't think he's not busy..he is!  :D

Happy W
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:34:43 AM by Happy Wanderer »