Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Largest skirmish or squad game?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
Largest skirmish or squad game?
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:55:45 AM »
What is the largest skirmish or squad level game you can think of?  I am referring to a game that uses one mini to represent 1 soldier, and each moves individualy, though attacks could be made by the whole unit.  Something like lion rampant in the medieval world.  In fact that is the largest one I know of, but I am wondering if there are larger ones with more complex flank and rear attack rules and such,  looking for historical, fantasy or Sci fi themes and settings.  Thanks!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Largest skirmish or squad game?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
Warhammer's first, second and (to a lesser extent) third editions are exactly that, are they not? The great scenarios for second edition (Orc's Drift, MacDeath, The Dolgan Raiders, Vengeance of the Lichemaster) are on precisely that scale. And the first edition of Warhammer 40K too.

I much prefer Lion Rampant to any form of Warhammer, for speed of play and elegance, but the scenarios for the first two editions were tremendous.

For sci-fi, Ganesha Games' Swatters is squad based and could facilitate large numbers of units. Figures are removed individually, but units move as a group (much like Lion Rampant, though CDs are used as movement trays).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »
I would also put GW lord of the rings rules in a similar category, nice and easy to modify for other periods too

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
I would also put GW lord of the rings rules in a similar category, nice and easy to modify for other periods too

LOTR was perfect in this way. It got a bit unwieldy at at the 50+ level though.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »
I would say Warmachine/Hordes, and Gates of Antares - both games work well at around the 30 model each mark, but can handle up to maybe 50-60 models each before it gets too big and tedious to complete a game comfortably in an afternoon.

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 05:19:20 AM »
What about clash of empires?  I don't know much about it, but I think it uses individual troops and troop removal?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »
I Ain't Been Shot Mum can have a couple of companies a side (say 200 figures a side); it is 1:1 but they move and fire by squad/section of 8-12 men.

Sharp Practice can also cope with those sort of numbers.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »
As Steve says TFL's Sharp Practice (Black Powder Era), to which I will add Through The Mud and The Blood (Great War), are both designed for the 100 figure mark, at 1:1 with figures in units and sub-units.

With a little thought Sharp Practice can (and has) be extended back as far as the Middle Ages and likewise TTM&TB forward into the Interwar period. Chain of Command takes over at WWII, but is more platoon-focused, although it does have rules for larger games up to around company level... where (as mentioned) IABSM takes over.

They are somewhat more complex than Lion Rampant, but not appreciably so. The learning process tends to mostly start with actually moving your figures around, rather than how best to exploit the usually copious rules and provisos of other sets to your advantage.

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 12:47:30 AM »
Warhammer's first, second and (to a lesser extent) third editions are exactly that, are they not? The great scenarios for second edition (Orc's Drift, MacDeath, The Dolgan Raiders, Vengeance of the Lichemaster) are on precisely that scale. And the first edition of Warhammer 40K too.

I much prefer Lion Rampant to any form of Warhammer, for speed of play and elegance, but the scenarios for the first two editions were tremendous.

For sci-fi, Ganesha Games' Swatters is squad based and could facilitate large numbers of units. Figures are removed individually, but units move as a group (much like Lion Rampant, though CDs are used as movement trays).

There is a Warhammer World War II game out there, using 40K rules.  I could see that getting pretty big if both players are fielding two or more infantry platoons...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
... which reminds me, nobody has mentioned Bolt Action.  

Not that it resembles 40K in any way, shape, or form. >:D

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
You could use LoToW Frontier for quite big plains wars games (used the LorR Rules).

If I remember correctly Brother against Brother had a ratio of about 1.5, so 2 minis represent 3 soldiers... is that still acceptable to you?
Far less active than I used to...

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Warpath 1.0 and probably the soon-to-be-released Warpath mass battle rules which are reportedly of the same scope.

Warpath 1.0 moves each figure individually without movement trays, yet the core rules are basically kings of war.  It's army lists are easily adaptable to the 40k universe and it's a great ruleset for playing out Apocalypse size battles (Company to Battalion level) but doing so in the just a couple hours rather than an entire day or two.

It's designed to comfortably handle hundreds of minis per side and I can't think of anything "bigger" in 28mm besides "Apocalypse" and that's more of an exercise in the ridiculous than a proper 28mm ruleset.