Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argad and multi-based figures  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Counterpane

• Student
Argad and multi-based figures
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
I'm planning on hosting a multi-player Arthurian game at Christmas and I'm tempted by the Argad rules, having been very impressed by the AARs I've seen here.  I've downloaded the rules and I think they'll work for what I want to do.

My only issue is that many of my Arthurians are on round bases using Michael Leck's 1-2-3 basing system. So a 12-figure unit (I also play Lion Rampant with these figures) will have two single figures on 25mm circular bases, two pairs of figures on 30mm circles, and two 40mm round bases with three figures each.

Does anyone who's played Argad have an idea as to whether/how I can make this work?

Richard

Offline yumyum

• Student
Re: Argad and multi-based figures
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
We did a big multi-player Arthurian game last Christmas, we did it using Dux Britanniarum. You may find the report helpful in your planning.

http://devonwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/a-ravens-feast-at-littleham-cross-dux.html

Nick

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
Thanks for your interest in the rules. 8)

It's possible to play with multi-based figures but it has not been tested much as the rules were not intended for it. I know that some people have been playing with rectangular bases with three figures each, and it worked. If you use bases with 1, 2, and 3 figures, you can probably keep count of casualties by replacing a 3-figures base by a 2-figures base when one of its character is killed, etc.

You mention that you have recently downloaded the rules so I suppose that most of your players are not familiar with them. I would suggest that you run some small games before organizing a large multi-player event. Some players may be uneasy with the RPG idea; other may have difficulty with the simultaneous moves; if one (or more) of the players hesitates all the time before moving while others players are making their moves, it will not only slow the game but you can lose understanding of what everyone is doing and it can ruin the game.

Feel free to ask about any question or problem. ::)

Offline Counterpane

• Student
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
Yumyum:
Thanks for this, I'll take a look.

Patrice:
Thank you. Your write-ups of previous games have been very inspiring to me.  I certainly will try a test game or two.

I guess some issues will arise with how to pair off figures in fighting when the bases vary in size.  I'll report back when we'e tried it.

Richard 

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
I guess some issues will arise with how to pair off figures in fighting when the bases vary in size.

Ye-es that's so unusual that I was unwilling to give a precise answer without testing... :D You will have some choices to make to adapt the rules...
For, say, a 3-figures bases vs a 2-figures bases, you can consider: — that every successful hit kills one character; OR — only take into account the most successful hit (depending on the class/armor of the involved characters). Either choice should not be too difficult to resolve for a trained GM, but without serious testing I'm uncertain about consequences on the whole melee.

Perhaps you'll also need some updates and details which may not be explained well enough in the current translation in English, I'll have a look about it.