Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:34:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Robin the Hooded Man  (Read 8839 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Robin the Hooded Man
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
Cracking! They're on the want list. 7th Voyage cast in one go. :-*

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
They are very good sculpts!!  :-*

Darrell.

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 12:26:30 AM »
Shane Hoyle did them 8)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:45:19 AM »
I had not seen it seems to be available here:

Do like the minis.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 12:56:45 AM »
Have always wanted to do Robin Hood.
Never have seen a really good range.
These look very interesting.
Semper Fi, Mac

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
They do look like fab sculpts! They should sell well.

I've thought about it a bit more (dangerous pastime for me!) and personally, I'd like to see a Robin Hood range made in Late 12th Century Anglo Saxon garb. For fitting for them historically if you're with me? (and yes I know they were fictional  lol ).

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:44 AM »
These are brilliant. I was delighted when Conquest released their versions, but they don't hold a light to how these appear. I was hoping to start some Robin of Sherwood Wolfshead Rampant forces this year (just about to crack on with a Gulnar conversion), but I may have to hold fire until more of these beauties are released. Like Rhoderic, the TV series had a massive impact on my formative years.

BTW - There is a new AUDIO episode of Robin of Sherwood being made as we speak. It was crowd funded and will feature many of the original cast ( sadly Robert Addie-Gisburne) died at a very young age.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/robin-of-sherwood-the-knights-of-the-apocalypse#/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:30:25 AM by Ensign Madcap »

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »
These are brilliant. I was delighted when Conquest released their versions, but they don't hold a light to how these appear. I was hoping to start some Robin of Sherwood Wolfshead Rampant forces this year (just about to crack on with a Gulnar conversion), but I may have to hold fire until more of these beauties are released. Like Rhoderic, the TV series had a massive impact on my formative years.

BTW - There is a new AUDIO episode of Robin of Sherwood being made as we speak. It was crowd funded and will feature many of the original cast ( sadly Robert Addie-Gisburne) died at a very young age.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/robin-of-sherwood-the-knights-of-the-apocalypse#/

that is so awesome! and you can still back the project!
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
Brilliant!
 8)

I loved the tv show as a kid and it has been on my list of 'tv series to buy' for some time now.
I had not succumbed yet due to the reasons mentioned earlier in the threrad, but will have to do now that it has been suggested that it holds up well.
I think the figures may quickly follow...

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 03:49:38 PM »
An interesting thing from a wargame terrain modeller's perspective in the DVD audio commentaries is that on several occasions they got to talking about how the film crew would often embellish woodland scenes by hanging bits of extra greenery all over in a not particularly realistic way, so as to make the forest look more "foresty". It was quite low-budget, and they referred to the loose greenery as "dingle".

There was also the phenomenon of "dangle", which was when an actor or extra in a fight scene would wave his weapon about in a generally fighty/menacing manner if he ran out of combat coreography before someone else did.

I suppose my point is that if you haven't seen the series since childhood, watching it anew may kill some of the magic, but in return it does give you a newfound appreciation for the fact that they managed to achieve that magic in the first place with such a low budget.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
Thanks for the warning.
I will give in at some point so lowering ones expectations is a good thing.

I have just started watching Tour of Duty again.
The plot may be as thin as tissue paper but it still holds up pretty well, I reckon, and I am enjoying it.
Hopefully Robin will be the same....

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
My wife and I are watching the series on blue ray for the first time and it definitely still is magic  :D

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »
Nice sculpts, would make a great little skirmish warband.

I have the complete series of Robin of Sherwood on DVD and I'd argue they still hold up against more recent modern offerings like the Last Kingdom and Beowulf - may be the nostalgia talking though  lol
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »
Great figures! I was a big fan of the series. My Dad was actually in the first episode, his archery club played many of the archers at the tournament. Captain Gamma Snr. is easy to spot, he has the white hair and white beard and if my memory serves me correctly, smiles when Robin (In disguise) says "I think it might rain tonight."

I only asked Dad to get me Anthony Valentine's autograph as he was the only one in the cast who was well known at the time. Poor Dad was really uncomfortable asking him but my Mam made him.  lol As it turned out Anthony Valentine was lovely.

Thanks Dad!   
"Morning!"

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
I don't think it was a particularly low budget production for the time-indeed iirc, the expense of it virtually bankrupted the production company, HTV Goldcrest...

I think it was not as successful commercially as hoped either.