Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690907
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is mine bigger than yours?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline timt

• Assistant
Is mine bigger than yours?
« on: December 14, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »
Just curious as to what size companies people use in standard 250-300 point games. The pre-pack companies suggest that 11 is a reasonable size. Does anyone use companies that are significantly bigger or smaller? I am thinking of "ordinary" companies rather than anything designed specifically to win. I recall that Craig suggested cheapo Zombie hordes in an earlier post.

Over to the forum membership.

Regards
Tim

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
Re: Is mine bigger than yours?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:45:15 PM »
I use up to 20 figures (Diamond Annie's mob). Numbers count.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »
The Mexican Rebels:

One Young Don, 37 "Peons with machetes."    :o

Yes, I have those available but not played them yet.  :D

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Numbers count.

Funny. I've found that big numbers don't...it's the quality that makes the difference. I've played against one chap who had just three figures all maxed out in talents and abilities. They were almost impossible to kill...and not much fun to play against.

Of course, it all depends on the scenario...if it's a grab and run type game then numbers will definitely count.

Most of my companies are around the 10 figure mark...seems to offer the best potential for a good mix of abilities and talents.

Offline timt

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »
I use up to 20 figures (Diamond Annie's mob). Numbers count.

I have been reading back posts and I thought that Diamond Annie was up-arming her mob and so cutting back on numbers (these Mausers don't come cheap). But 20 "ladies" must be quite a sight. I may well get a bunch more cultists so that the Servants of Ra get the option of arriving mob handed - the cultists do seem to die very easily so maybe numbers is the way.

Regards
Tim

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 12:06:04 AM »
Diamond Annie likes to keep them on their toes. Expect the unexpected. This week, twenty Amazons (it's quite a sight). Next week eight.

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:43:07 PM »
Funny. I've found that big numbers don't...it's the quality that makes the difference. I've played against one chap who had just three figures all maxed out in talents and abilities. They were almost impossible to kill...and not much fun to play against.

Of course, it all depends on the scenario...if it's a grab and run type game then numbers will definitely count.

Most of my companies are around the 10 figure mark...seems to offer the best potential for a good mix of abilities and talents.
The tough lads can be a challenge. You might like trying the following amendment:
There is an additional -1 pluck modifier if hit by a volley or mobbed.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »
I win about 50% of my outings with the Brick Lane Commune, most of whom are if we are being honest, scum.

It is amazing what the fervent application of Brick Lane Bottle Grenades, Bombs, short range shotgun fire and a good mobbing can achieve. lol
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »

If this is a big problem then you might like to consider the following amendment:

All hits from volleys and mobs have an additional -1 pluck modifier in addition to that of the primary weapon.

Makes the big boys nervous.