Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690935
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some Optional Rules and Soldier Experience for Frostgrave  (Read 11524 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: Some Optional Rules and Soldier Experience for Frostgrave
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
Looks like it is best if I don't comment Thraw classes before I have read the book.  :D

I will think more about those possible animal skills, too.

Pack Animal:  The animal instinctually coordinates its attacks with other pack members.  In a multiple combat, the animal may always support a friendly model's attack, even if an enemy model is in base contact with the animal.

Fetch:  The animal has a nose for gold.  The animal may now carry treasure but must transfer the treasure to a non-animal member of the warband before the treasure is removed from the table; otherwise, it is assumed that the animal has hidden and buried the treasure.  The transfer counts as one of the animal's actions, and the recipient may not make a move action for the remainder of the turn after receiving the treasure.

Slavering Jaws:  The animal is naturally aggressive, or has been specially trained to attack.  The animal receives +1 Fight.

Guard Dog:  The animal is more than just a pet, it's family.  If a friendly model within 1" of the animal is hit by an enemy attack (melee or missile), the animal may attempt to intervene and take the hit.  To do so, the animal must roll a D20 (+ Fight) and beat the enemy model's score.  If the animal succeeds, it takes the hit but takes double damage; otherwise the animals (noble) attempt of sacrifice fails and the initial model takes damage as normal.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »
I like the feel of especially Fetch and Guard Dog. Maybe I will add something along these lines later. Thanks for ideas!

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 01:54:13 AM »
I think limiting each of the +stat rules to +2 would be plenty. We don't want +9 Fight Barbarians without magic items or buffs running around.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
For all animal lovers, I added the following, based on suggestions, but modifying them a bit.

Animals
Warhounds, Animal Companions, and with a case-by-case agreement, other animals, can be considered party members capable of learning. Record their experience normally. Animals may select their skills from the Animal Skills list. In addition, animals may learn the skills Sneak, Sprint and Hardy, but nothing else.

ANIMAL SKILLS:
Growl, Fetch, Guard
Class: Warhound, Animal Companion

Growl (Animal Skill): Any opponent wishing to move to combat with the animal is required to succeed in a Will roll against it.

Fetch (Animal Skill): The animal may pick up and carry treasure token, normally becoming encumbered. The animal cannot carry it away from the board, but may bring it to other party members. It can drop the treasure as a normal action at any time. Animals cannot break locked chests or pick locks.

Guard (Animal Skill): If an enemy model seeks to move into combat with a party member of the animal within 2", the animal may interfere. Move the animal to base contact with the enemy model at any point before it reaches its target. The animal immediately forces combat.

I think limiting each of the +stat rules to +2 would be plenty. We don't want +9 Fight Barbarians without magic items or buffs running around.

If you allow multiple purchases of a skill, I recommend +5 as the overall skill cap for all soldier skills. Therefore knight could only take one Lessons to reach the cap, but Man-at-arms could take more.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:52:07 AM by November »