Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Medieval rules for mass battles?  (Read 5739 times)

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
Re: 15mm Medieval rules for mass battles?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 07:22:07 PM »
Look forward to seeing how they turn out buddy. Kings of war is well played at my local club, I'm sure a few will look to give it a go with historical forces.

Nobody has mentioned Hail Caesar- I'm a little surprised, I would have thought this was an obvious choice in 15mm?

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Hail Caesar- I'm a little surprised, I would have thought this was an obvious choice in 15mm?

I respectfully direct the gentle reader's attention to post #8 on the first page of this thread.  ;)

Cheers,
Scott (aka "Nobody")
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:36:48 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
Sorry Scott.
I need to actually read through those links!

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
Not to worry, Jim! I hope that the AARs inspire you to give Hail Caesar a try. :)

IMHO the rules work extremely well for 15 mm armies, especially if one measures all movement and shooting distances in cm, rather than inches.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:44:52 PM by A Lot of Gaul »

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
Another vote for Impetus which gives a great game in both 15mm and 28mm. ;)

Christopher

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 04:27:16 AM »
Another vote for Impetus which gives a great game in both 15mm and 28mm. ;)

I agree with Christopher but one has to make sure that you're not playing a 'gamey' player or you'll have a miserable time. That said, I'd like to add the caveat that this has only happened to me once but I've watched a few games that were ruined by someone who was hell bent on winning and had maxed out his army list.

Although I enjoy playing the rules they do cover a very long timescale and can feel a bit samey for many periods so if you're looking for something period specific with the right feel then maybe this isn't the set for you(?)

As I said in an earlier post, it's been a bit of a search for the Holy Grail for the last 20 odd years for me!

Darrell.

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »
Thanks for the continued input all.
I picked up the Lion Rampant rules fairly cheaply so I'm just having a read of those right now. Looks straightforward, but scope for depth and tactics. I like the idea of issuing a leader-on-leader challenge, and there are a few cool scenarios to try. I can't see why this would not work in 15mm.

In terms of a time period, I like Dark Ages but having chatted with a friend, late-Medieval throws in a bit more variety with some early artillery. Perhaps 100 Years War, War of the Roses, or even Crusades. No idea which army/retinue to go for, I need to do some research basically!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
Thanks for the continued input all.
I picked up the Lion Rampant rules fairly cheaply so I'm just having a read of those right now. Looks straightforward, but scope for depth and tactics.

If you activate the unit!! The rules are great fun but be prepared for some very amusing frustration! 

I like the idea of issuing a leader-on-leader challenge, and there are a few cool scenarios to try. I can't see why this would not work in 15mm.

It would work.... 3D6 vs 3D6... I'm sweating at the thought of my last two challenges  lol lol They didn't go too well for me  :D

In terms of a time period, I like Dark Ages but having chatted with a friend, late-Medieval throws in a bit more variety with some early artillery. Perhaps 100 Years War, War of the Roses, or even Crusades. No idea which army/retinue to go for, I need to do some research basically!

You can literally go with any period/era/geographical location. The only problem I can see is representing real horse archers as although the rules technically covers them, I don't think they would be very effective if compared to their historical counterparts.

Cheers,
Darrell.