Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just starting out...  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Just starting out...
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
Hello all,

There are 3 of us just about to start our adventures into IHMN.  
Currently we have nothing but the rulebooks, enthusiasm and a moderate budget (but little discipline...)
We play Chain of Command, Bolt Action and have recently started Gates of Antares, but we all fancy a little change...

I've been reading the forum looking for scenery ideas and thanks to Mr Thunderchicken's threads I'm planing on a Victorian village but my plans are growing rapidly!  My inspiration is going to be the Black Country Museum in Dudley as it's got a good mix of buildings in a very small area.

I generally build a lot of scratch built tanks so I'm looking forward to a bit of steam punkery!  

I'm looking at the Bobbies, probably looking at Ripper St characters and probably the Brick St Commune.  For minis I'm going to start with the Northstar starter packs, they are a tad expensive but look nice enough and for the commune the Miners from Sloppy Jalopy.

The only real snagette is the campaign system seems a bit flimsy - We were looking at adapting Necromunda but any tips and hints would be appreciated!

Cheers
Rich

Offline timt

• Assistant
Re: Just starting out...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:51:28 AM »
Hi Rich

As someone else who is just starting out, I think you have a lot of fun coming your way. I started some three weeks ago and now have a dozen games under my belt.

If you want more details on the campaign system I suggest that you buy the first add-on book - "Heroes, Villains and Fiends" - where there is quite a bit of elaboration. I only got my copy a few days ago so I have not had time to do much more than read it through. If you need more help I am sure the grognards of the forum can help. The details are more in the way of outlines with examples because of the wide scope of the rules so you will need to adopt them to your own settings and Companies.

In my somewhat limited view this is a set of rules that requires good imagination on the part of the gamers to design scenarios that work for you. You set out with what is in the book and elaborate to your own ends.

Bon chance!

Regards
Tim

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
A simple suggestion for the three of you: you each draft a simple scenario and a second one slightly more involved/dangerous. Keep them all linked in the same area/region - e.g., British Isles. Also share some common characters and themes - maybe the core storyline is a threat to HM the Queen - or to the Empire itself - or the new production of a wondrous new battleship for the Royal Navy, etc.

Aim for simple tasks like:

* Secure a certain artefact/item - the plans for a new weapon; a high-value treasure; a map or a book; etc;
* Capture of a certain person (a non-Company VIP perhaps);
* Destroy a certain location - e.g., the offices of a particularly troublesome shipping company;
* Survive an ambush.
* And so on. As already stated, there are some good prompts and ideas for lots of scenario details in HVF.

If you then have three players, lets label them A, B & C.

Then put the simpler scenarios in a 1-2-3 order;
* A plays B - using C's Scenario;
* B plays C - using A's scenario; and,
* C plays A - using B's scenario.

Add the more involved scenarios as 4-5-6, and then ensure a last one - the seventh game - has a suitable set-up to have a three-way free-for-all, whereby each Company/Gang has a unique victory condition it must achieve at the exclusion of all others - and/or factor in the 'Last-Person-Standing' aspect too.

I'll add, this is just a quick suggestion - totally un-trialled or played by myself.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
Cheers we'll have a go after christmas.  I've got loads of scenery ideas to get built too.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
There are a lot of people here also that love and discuss IHMN: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InHerMajestysName/
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:43:01 AM by Craig »
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »
Cheers, already signed up :)

Offline archdukek

• Student
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
Actually I find the looser narrative framework for an IHMN campaign to be quite refreshing with the scenarios following on from each other in a more natural way than in campaign systems like Necromunda. Often each game can generate an idea for the follow up.

In our first Club campaign involving 6 regular players, I had followed the guidelines and sketched out a kind of 4 Act drama, nothing more than 4 possible locations in a quest format the clue to which was the objective in the first game. After each game I assessed the situation and decided in discussion with the players what might happen next. We then explored those options in further games. For example the first game generated an immediate follow up attempt to release some captives taken the day before, but also the winner needed to secure the services of an expert who he decided to kidnap rather than hire (fitted his villainous nature) which in turn spawned a follow up rescue mission which even generated a new company used in the rest of the campaign. It worked well.

On a practical note each player had a pool of 400 points worth of characters and equipment from which they could draw each game, but could only field 250 points worth. The winner of the previous scenario got a bonus of 25 extra points to augment their company in the next game. The company which did least well got a 15 point bonus since they clearly needed help. This might everyone had a decent chance each game even if they had lost badly previously.

The Campaign largely wrote itself!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 12:01:51 AM »
So my Company is begun. 
Don't mind the bases they are going to be cut back and pinned to clear bases.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:04:44 AM by Rich H »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
I do like the natural look that you have achieved with these so far  :)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
Nearly there

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
Nice!  :-*

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
What do you use to glue the figures to those clear bases?

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:44 PM »
Just superglue.  The runners are pinned as well.

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
Show 'em the buildings guv..

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
Look harder ;)