Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars - X-Wing: Ground Attack  (Read 2982 times)

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
Star Wars - X-Wing: Ground Attack
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
A friend and I decided to stage a different style of X-Wing game earleir this year, with the Rebels raiding a small planet-side Imperial garrison. Some spraypaint on a collection of mushroom boxes & other everyday containers, sandpaper as streets, plus some printed Imperial insignia and we had a base. The gun-turrets were Lynx spraycan tops (with last-minute rawl-plugs gun-barrels), all on a 'Mat-O-War' terrain-mat.

There was a series of primary & secondary objectives that the Rebel attacker was free to go for as he wished: a fuel-tanker transport, Imperial shuttle, local planetary shuttle, the Imperial command-centre (latter would influence the enemy reinforcements response times) and general installations, plus dealing with TIE and turret defences.

The TIE fighters on the ground rolled an attack-dice to see if their pilots were ready for take-off (hit), ready next turn (focus) or snoozing in their bunks (blank).

The only rule we needed to handle the ground terrain was that once a fighter-base was partially on a building top, it was allowed as much extra movement for the model to be properly balanced on the building.

The game was not designed to be balanced as it was a surprise-attack, but it was challenging for attackers. The end-result was a fun game, with plenty of explosions, a daring Imperial ace, a heroic death-run by a seemingly indestructable Y-wing and a successful blow against the Empire!

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
Re: Star Wars - X-Wing: Ground Attack
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
Nice board & a great idea! I've recently been in the mood to play X-Wing again - there must be something Star-Warsy in the air  lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »
Great idea, and (especially for a hasty effort) really nice-looking board as well. Glad the game was fun too - any plans for another ground-based scenario? 8)

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Great idea, and (especially for a hasty effort) really nice-looking board as well. Glad the game was fun too - any plans for another ground-based scenario? 8)

Hi thanks! Well in fact, thanks to a fans post on another forum, I recently discovered that X-wing game models are roughly to scale with the AMT "Battle of Hoth Action Scene", of which I have two sets. I have not wargamed with those figures for years, but now I am looking forward to staging an Imperial ground-assault on a Rebel base, with TIE's supporting the AT-ATs against defending Rebel troops, air-speeders, gun-emplacements and their fighter support. It will be a target rich environment for the Emperor's forces :-)

p.s. I am getting that same vibe Shandy. "I sense something; a presence I have not felt since....:)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »
Oh, woof! Time to dig out the white polar fleece!

Doug

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »
I went to see Star Wars 7 (Force Awakens) and there are some scenes where Tie fighters and X-Wings are dogfighting in the air and at the same time attacking each others ground troops.  This looks like it would be a very interesting thing to game. 

I think the ground troops could be done with Pendraken 10mm Sci Fi and Moderns 

Questions

Are there any rules to extend X-Wing to ground attack or to add ground based anti aircraft guns?

In Star Wars 5 (Empire Strike Back) there is the Hoth battle. 
I remember there was a snap together plastic kit with 10mm Snow Speeders and At ATs.
Are these available?

Or are there other 10mm or 15mm Sci Fi models that could be used as substitutes?

Mick

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »
Very sweet for a throw together game.
Wish my games looked as good.
I think with the new movie out,
lots of Star Wars games will be played.
Now where in my mess of stuff is my X-Wing game.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
Mick:

1) Couldn't you massage the Death Star attack rules for ground attack?

2) The kits are no longer made, but plenty in basements making their way to eBay, and not painfully dear. Of course, we'll have to see after the movie does it's mojo. (I've some in the garage.  lol )

3) Plenty of threads here and TMP of various conversions done, though mostly 15mm.

Doug