Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:15:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are we addicted to our hobby?  (Read 6505 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: Are we addicted to our hobby?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
Why do we think like that?

...it's charmingly eccentric optimism.

In the same vein I think it's a bid for immortality. If we were to manage to complete every project we can imagine, paint each mini we find so worthy and build all those brilliant scenics we've ever managed we've not have time to die.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
I like Dim Reaper's explanaitionary excurs, but deemed it to big to quote.

Yes, in that way I am addicted, too. Devotet to a certain interest or activity.
So, like all the other soccer fans, stamp collectors, Picasso & VanGogh buyers, etc.

But, so what? I think this kind of addiction is not a problem, unless You - @ the thread starter - have a particular problem within that addiction:
- Need space for kids, but still cannot part with stuff (well, extreme ^^)
- Need money, but still buying actually and really unimportant minis
- etc.

So, it is a hobby, giving You some sort of happyness, fun, experience, contact to mostly cool people, it is increasing Your knowlegde, etc. pp.
There a problem with that? Think not.
And problems within that bubble of addiction should be solvable, if adressed properly.
So, adress them properly, but do not have a problem with Your and our sort of addiction.

best wishes
DK
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
It is giving up on a dream, and no-one likes that.

Aye, this. In addition, for me anyway, it's also almost an admission of failure. You were going to build a grand army, paint it up nice, bring it to victory with your superior know-whats... but you can't.

I have a few handfuls of ECW, WSS and Napoleonics lying around. Supposed to be the beginnings of armies to play a guy at a nearby club. (Heck, the Nappies were bought for a vaguely planned Waterloo anniversary game) I'm not likely to go back to the club for reasons, but still hang onto those minis because... just maybe...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 04:52:42 PM »
Aye, this. In addition, for me anyway, it's also almost an admission of failure. You were going to build a grand army, paint it up nice, bring it to victory with your superior know-whats... but you can't.

Or chose not to.  ;)

I don't get hung up on stuff. It's just ... stuff. There's a whole internet and stores full of stuff. The rarest of things is still just a thing. And not in the cool Icelandic legislature kind of way.

Time is what's important - had a project realized it wasn't going to do what you thought it would? Don't give up your time. That you can never get back.

Time well wasted.  lol

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
I've been fairly disciplined about not starting new projects. In all my time, I've only bought into two wargames. How I've managed to do this, I have no idea.

Though to be fair, I'm sure I've spent thousands on those two (especially if I include money spend on terrain building supplies and model bought for scenery bits and such).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
"Human, all too human" Neitzche, I don't think he was thinking of shiny new metal wargames figures at the time though  :D

Darrell.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
Indeed. I think it is fair to say there's some sort of addiction involved. And withdrawal symptoms. When i quite The Hobby in the late 1990's i started dreaming about being involved in some way with miniatures and they would pop in all kinds of dreams. One that i had many times was that i walked through a darkened shopping mall and coming upon a small illuminated shopwindow that was full of all kinds of lovely painted miniatures. When i re-started in The Hobby around 2010 those dreams went away and they have not returned. ;-)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
A most excellent post!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
I feel the problem stems from being unrealistic about one’s painting productivity. When considering a new project first work out how many figures you paint say in a  year and apply this to what you are thinking of starting to see how long it will be before it is up and running?

I also try to resist bulk purchase bargains. It might be more cost effective to buy figures this way but lead mountains seem weigh me down physiologically as much I they weigh actually. I try to buy just ahead of my painting output if I can. At least then if you lose interest you don’t have so much to offload. There is no rule that says in starting a new project you have to buy all the figures for it at the start?

I am also limited by storage space which thankfully disciplines any new project contemplations. I have loft space but I feel once I start putting stuff up there then I am on the road to ruin. lol

To answer the original question, I don’t have a problem parting with stuff. My enthusiasms seem to leave as easily as they come for some reason. I just try not to think about how much I paid versus what I am selling them for as the differential is usually a bit scary!  lol
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:33:42 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Gailbraithe

• Librarian
  • Post-Apocalyptic Librarian
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
I also try to resist bulk purchase bargains. It might be more cost effective to buy figures this way but lead mountains seem weigh me down physiologically as much I they weigh actually.

This is very true.  I recently decided to get into Dr. Who miniatures, and picked up some of the Doctors and Companions from Crooked Dice.  Maybe 10 figures in all.  Painted them up over a weekend and was very pleased with myself.  Then I decided to pick up some villains for the Doctor to fight and...I went a little nuts.  8 Daleks, 12 Cybermen, 6 Zygons, 9 Robots of Death, and then on top of that I also picked up some modern UNIT soldiers, some classic era UNIT soldiers, and five or six more figures of various Doctors and allies.

And my painting came to a crashing halt as the enormity of what I had committed myself to settled in on me.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 07:09:35 PM »
A most excellent post!
Well thank you ;-)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »
All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »

This  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 12:10:48 AM »

lol lol lol

I concur... it's a rhetorical question really  lol

Darrell.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
To return to the thread: the answer to the question if we are addicted  to our hobby is unequivocally YES.
I wouldn't want it any other way.
Everything I'm passionate about and makes life worth living revolves around it: reading, painting, gaming, friendship, love.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done