Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690483
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28 mm Retro Sci Fi rule sets  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Palmer

• Schoolboy
    • HeresyProducktionz
28 mm Retro Sci Fi rule sets
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:31:11 AM »
Hey everyone

I was hoping to get thoughts on pulp era Sci Fi rule sets in 28 mm. I am looking for a game that allows you to easily use different miniatures preferably with a character creation component. Not as interested in large squad based as skirmish based. Something that would be conducive to narrative generation.

I have been looking through various sites on the net and have come across Fantastic Worlds, Retro Raygun, 5150, Counterblast as well as a couple of others. Without any experience with any of these rule sets Fantastic Worlds seemed a bit like what I was looking for. Does anyone have any experience with these games and more specifically Fantastic Worlds?

Cheers,

Palmer

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
Re: 28 mm Retro Sci Fi rule sets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:05:18 AM »
Pulp Alley and 7TV are both great at that sort of thing!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
Pulp Alley. Especially if using the pulp sci fi template from the new(ish) Leagues book.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »
Fantastic worlds is a great ruleset (along with Planet X), and the profiles are very flexible. As with all narrative games the rules really shine with good scenario creation. My only negative point was the damage tracks, and having to have a damage track for each character. It's nice in that as they get more injured they get less able, but for me is just feels a little clunky. But a good strong ruleset nonetheless.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »
There was also a new game announced a couple of months ago here on LAF, I think it was published by Osprey. There was a preview of the coverr art (which was very nice) IIRC.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
AE Bounty may be worth a look. Low model counts and archetypes for all sorts of alien races that can fit many common concepts.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »
I've been working on Archon Raygun, a simple/silly one-sheet set.  I'll find the link.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
Wasn't there a set called "Gafdoz" or similar?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Palmer

• Schoolboy
    • HeresyProducktionz
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions so far everyone. I am new to pulp or retro Sci Fi miniature gaming so most of what was suggested was new to me. I am still interested in any further suggestions but I have a lot to look into.

Cheers

Offline Palmer

• Schoolboy
    • HeresyProducktionz
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 04:16:20 AM »
Out of curiosity when you buy pulp alley the main rule book do you get the main deck of 50 some odd cards? Looking at their website they sell a number of decks but I don't see the main deck. Also in the description of the pulp leagues book it says it is a compilation of all of their previous resources does that mean you do not need the previous books?

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 04:39:43 AM »
You don't get the cards with the rule book. Maybe they've sold out at present - normally you can buy them separately. If you get the pdf of the rulebook, there are pages with the cards on that you can print out and sleeve or laminate or whatever.

Pulp Leagues draws together all the rules and abilities for building characters from the all the previous books. You don't get the scenarios  or the vehicle rules. But you could go a long way with the base rules plus Pulp Leagues.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »
Been awhile since I looked at a copy, but pretty sure Retro Raygun has zero ability to roll your own. Otherwise, the setting is exactly what the title sez, and I'd suggest trying to find a friend with a copy just to peruse.

Seriously, Flash Gordon, Zsa Zsa Gabor on Venus, Ming's minions; it's in there, though not by name.

In Her Majesty's Name is a Victorian Science Fiction game, so the background would take a LOT of fiddling, but I really like the way characters feel in it. I know Craig and Charles have been thinking about adopting the system to other backgrounds, though I'm not sure I saw Dan Dare as a possibility.

Too far astray?

Doug

Offline Palmer

• Schoolboy
    • HeresyProducktionz
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 05:23:24 AM »
Thanks , I own IHMN and it's a great game just not exactly what I am looking for specifically for this. After some hemming and hawing I think I am going to give pulp alley a try. I like what I see so far with alternate activations and fate cards etc. It looks like it may be good for what I am looking for. Cheers

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »
Pulp alley is a good choice.

I'd suggest also looking at Blasters and Bulkheads. It's great for Sci-Fantasy, Retro Raygun, etc.  It's a Goalsystem-based game so you can simply do a band of individualized packed heroes/protagonists, or it has the typical goalsystem method for bands of mooks (stormtroopers, henchmen, etc).

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »