Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:31:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painted Malifaux Crews (Mostly old metals)  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Painted Malifaux Crews (Mostly old metals)
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:47:40 PM »
Ages ago, I posted the starter box of my Perdita crew here, back when Malifaux was still pretty new.

Much later (five years!  o_o) I've managed to get some more stuff painted, motivated largely by the new edition and the desire to paint some models with less fiddly detail on them.

First, a re-post of the first part of the Perdita crew:

Then the additions (Black Scorpion Mexicans as Latigo Pistoleros, the Enslaved Nephilim, and Abuela Ortega):

And a full shot of the whole Perdita Ortega crew:

Next up is Rasputina's crew, which was finished this summer. The Ice Golem needs his base finishing again because in the move to the new edition, his base size changed...  ::)

I also have the rest of her crew primed and ready, and I've made a good start (as in, I'm about halfway through) on McMourning's crew too. Quick pic of them all nestled in my case:

So there you go - I really am a very slow painter!  lol I aim to get these two crews finished in the coming year, and hopefully get another crew painted as well.

No idea yet which one will be the fourth crew to get done, but as I have most of the old metals and some of the new plastics, I'm happy to take suggestions.  8)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:30:44 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Painted Malifaux Crews (Mostly old metals)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
If being a slow painter is responsible for those results, then please take your time! They look amazing! Oddly enough I got into Malifaux when it first came out and these were the two gangs I had. Seeing these makes me regret getting rid. I loved the whole atmosphere and the art style. May take a peek at 2nd Edition (?) but I remember looking a couple of years back and thinking it was getting a bit bloated? The atmosphere seemed to be heading more towards the sci fi end of Steampunk too, but that may have been only one or two models.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
Yeah, more Malifaux! Love those crews and also love the colour contrast between the two. Best one for me is the fantastic Ice Golem. The ice effect is top notch.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Gabbi

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
Not a fan at all of the old metal Ice Golem model, but your looks great! Really neat paintjob!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys. :)

I actually really enjoyed painting the Golem, and I think it shows - he was painted in a day and a half (lightning fast for me), and apart from a little black around the eyes I only used three paints.

One of the things I like about the older metal Malifaux models is that generally, they are easy enough to paint and finish without having to go through that annoying stage of endless greebly details that demand your time and effort before you can finally call the model done. And, as much as I do like the new Ice Golem, I think there is something of an understated menace to the old one.

For me the Golem is much like that sad defeated look the Enslaved Nephilim has. Yes, he has little banana-horns attached to his hair rather than something... better sculpted. However, his sawn-off and bleeding wing stubs, the chain over his shoulder, and the look of soulful resignation to his fate really makes the model for me.

I worked the skin up from a mix of black and ruddy skintone (P3 Khardic Flesh), before glazing with a mix of sepia and violet ink, and then applying some fine highlights with a pale skin tone (a Reaper tanned skin highlight I think) followed by a little (very thin) ivory. It looks like it could pass for human, but next to the other models' human skin tones it does look alien.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:37:54 PM by Major_Gilbear »