Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chronomancer Apprentice miniature  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
Chronomancer Apprentice miniature
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »
On the chronomancer apprentice mini, behind his right arm attached to his belt is an object that, for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. It looks like a cylinder on a chain, with a thin rod. Kinda like a flail, which I don't think it is.  Any ideas?

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Chronomancer Apprentice miniature
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:47 PM »
Could it be a scroll case?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
That would make the most sense. The chain and rod was throwing me off. Overthinking it maybe.

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
I think that the object in question is a small flail with a cylindrical head.  If the object is a scroll case, then why is it attached to a rod by a short length of rope or chain?  And sure, the official North Star photo of the model shows the object painted silver/steel and gold as one might expect of a fancy scroll case or reliquary, but the painter may have been confused about the identity of the object.

Clues to the object's identity include the flail's origin and the symbolism of the flail in Western history and culture. The flail was derived from a medieval farming tool (used to thresh grain), which like the flail on the Chrono apprentice's belt, had a head that was elongated rather than round.  Chronomancers manipulate time.  Famers used the flail in their practice of agriculture, which is a human activity that has always been governed by the seasons.  And seasons are essentially long periods of time.

In ancient Western mythology there exists a strong symbolic connection between farming tools and time.  In Greek mythology the Titan Chronus is the patron of the harvest.  As such he is often depicted holding a sickle or scythe (farming implements). The Romans turned Chronus (i.e. Saturn) into the god of the harvest and time. Like his earlier incarnation, Saturn was often depicted holding a scythe, which like the flail is a farming implement.

I would also point out that the Chrono wizard is armed with two weapons, a staff in her hand and a sheathed sword. The Chrono apprentice also has a staff in his hand, and if the object in question is a belt, then like his master, he too is armed with two weapons.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:16:40 AM by Koyote »

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
I would also point out that the Chrono wizard is armed with two weapons, a staff in her hand and a sheathed sword. The Chrono apprentice also has a staff in his hand, and if the object in question is a belt, then like his master, he too is armed with two weapons.

Yup - it's a flail. While it's an either/or choice for staffs and hand weapons for wizards, Chronomancers "often carry an intimidating weapon, even if they have little skill in using it" (rulebook, p.11). So... a cosmetic flail.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:14 PM »
Silly me. I've been using a staff to clobber my opponents! Thanks for the clarification.

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
Yup - it's a flail. While it's an either/or choice for staffs and hand weapons for wizards, Chronomancers "often carry an intimidating weapon, even if they have little skill in using it" (rulebook, p.11). So... a cosmetic flail.

DOH! Had I remembered that, I could have saved myself a lot of typing.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:34:44 PM by Koyote »

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »
I had read that too but somehow still didn't think it was a flail. I had not even thought of all the correlations you made in your post about time and agriculture and Chronus. But now I'm going to to arm my chronomancer with a magic flail and bash some heads braveheart style!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »
I mistook this for a scroll case and some sort of wand. But now I look at it and see it's clearly a flail!

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
One of the reasons why I decided to paint by example... I no longer need to overthink what something is. :D
I do love your reasoning, Koyote! Whether or not intentionally given to him, I'd like to think the sculptor was heavily overthinking it too!