Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm adventures from Tom Meier  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
15mm adventures from Tom Meier
« on: December 24, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
These are the 15mm adventurers (+Hit Girl) from Khurusan Miniatures sculpted by Tom Meier that i recieved a few days ago.
Although i have a 15mm fantasy collection and they have been available for nearly a year and and they are probably the best detailed/proportioned 15mm miniatures on the market, i have been nervous about ordering them. This is simply because they are so good and after seeing what Jen Haley and Marike Reimer did with them (http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/tom-meier-collection.html) i know that even if i paint them to my best standard i dont think i can do them justice.
The knight is about 17mm high (all measurements fom foot to eye), the ranger and female barbarian are roughly 16mm,the other girls are 15mm and the halfling 10mm.
Hit girl is just SMALL!!!
15mm tom meier by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickr
I will give them my best shot and we will see how it goes.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Stéphane

• Scientist
    • Les Vicissitudes ludiques (text in french, pictures in color)
Re: 15mm adventures from Tom Meier
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 01:14:31 AM »
Yes please, tell us more about these miniatures.  They are so different than other 15mm. I had never believe they are so tiny.
please' could you post a picture with other 15mm mini to see the diferente size and work quality with others products?

Stéphane
Les Vicissitudes Ludiques (french text, but colored picutres)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »
Beautiful figures. Don't be too intimidated by the "master painters." If we mere mortals do that, we'd never paint anything.  ;)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »
Yes please, tell us more about these miniatures.  They are so different than other 15mm. I had never believe they are so tiny.
please' could you post a picture with other 15mm mini to see the diferente size and work quality with others products?

Stéphane

Hi Stephane, sorry for not answering quicker but i have been fairly busy and just forgot.
If i get enough figures finnished in the next month i will take part in the Lead Painters League which means i am not allowed to post (painted) pictures of these figures before that if i want to use them so i will do some comparison photos afterwards.
I have already painted Hit Girl and as soon as she is based i will post a picture of her.
The only thing i can add about these figures is that for the first time in 30+ years of painting minitures i needed to use a magnifying glass to see the detail i was trying to paint.

Offline Jimboba

• Assistant
  • Warchest
    • Root around in the Warchest
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:13:54 AM »
Hi Steam Flunky. I know exactly how you feel. Had the same reaction when I tackled some of his scifi sculpts;
http://warchest.co.uk/blog/index.php/super-detail-paint-challenge-tom-meiers-khurasan-15mm/

Those fantasy ones will be in my next Khurasan order.

Look forward to seeing yours and good luck with the challenge!
Personal blog at http://www.warchest.co.uk/
Mostly about miniature painting and collecting, mostly 15mm non-historical, but then anything goes!

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:31:30 AM »
I will follow your project with interest and look forward to see the finalised miniatures. I also ordered some of these and the sculpting quality is outstanding. I think the only real drawback are the extremely thin swords and especialy the staff of the female wizard/druid. I don't think the swords will eb that much of a problem, mainly because the poses "portect" them a bit. But I think I will replace the staff with some thin wire and greenstuff some texture on it. Nevertheless, they show what is possible in 15mm and I consider them more works of art than gaming miniatures.

I hope Khurasan will add to this line and release more characters and monsters. I would love some Punic Wars historicals of this quality, even if that would mean static poses. 

Offline Stéphane

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

But I just want to say that I hope Tom Meyer will sculpt some 15mm elfs without too much details. Details are not very usefull in 15mm and somtimes they "kill" the miniature with too much things to watch.
But even in my old age, I continued to dream about Tom Meier 1980 elfs or something like these :D

Hope see (in my lead mountain) something like this in 15mm before I die, not necessary exactly the samething but in the same style :D

Khurasan mini, if you read that ;)

Stéphane
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:25:48 PM by Stéphane »

Offline Stéphane

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
(wrong use of edit mode. sorry)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:26:09 PM by Stéphane »

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:40:26 AM »
I will follow your project with interest and look forward to see the finalised miniatures. I also ordered some of these and the sculpting quality is outstanding. I think the only real drawback are the extremely thin swords and especialy the staff of the female wizard/druid. I don't think the swords will eb that much of a problem, mainly because the poses "portect" them a bit. But I think I will replace the staff with some thin wire and greenstuff some texture on it. Nevertheless, they show what is possible in 15mm and I consider them more works of art than gaming miniatures.

I hope Khurasan will add to this line and release more characters and monsters. I would love some Punic Wars historicals of this quality, even if that would mean static poses. 
I hope so to. You are right about the female wizards staff, it is a wisp of next to nothing.

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
I have finished the Hit Girl miniature and have posted it on the Superhero board.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=86658.0