Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WIP Kursk Village  (Read 4138 times)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
WIP Kursk Village
« on: December 24, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
I'm working on two boards for Adepticon 2016 - a Kursk board and a Burma board. The Kursk board will be used for the big Kursk Tank Wars event on Friday night and both will be used in Bolt Action Nationals. The Russian Windmill was the first Kursk terrain piece I completed for this board which will also incorporate large wheat fields/tall grass areas, dirt roads, rolling hills, shell craters, and a large village. I looked at a lot of period pictures of Russian villages and kolkhozes to get an idea of what I wanted to do.

More pics and info:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2015/12/eastern-front-terrain-kursk-village-wip.html

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: WIP Kursk Village
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
That is the beginnings of a very tidy board that you have there, sir.
 8)

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
Very pleasing, wish I could be this tidy and organised!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
Off to a great start.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
Work is steadily continuing on the Kursk village terrain. Notably, the Orthodox church is slowly looking more like a church and not simply a jumble of oddly sized walls. The main roof with its four converging roofline wasn't too hard to figure out and cut, but the cupola was maddening. Because the rooflines weren't perfectly straight, it caused the zigzag cuts I had to make for the walls to line up that slightly off kilter that is extremely frustrating to construct and glue. It isn't perfect but I was done messing around trying to fix it.

The now I need to install the cupola floor, find a curved roof for the sanctuary, then construct the onion dome brood bases ( there will be a small on over the entranceway and a larger one atop the cupola.

More pics and info below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2016/01/eastern-front-terrain-kursk-village-wip.html

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:13:05 AM »
Fantastic and just the inspiration I have been looking for as I want to do some Russian buildings for WWII and RCW - love the idea of the mural painting in the church. Any chance of close ups of the interior?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 05:26:25 AM »
Your hard work is paying off. IT looks great so far.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
Both excellent and inspiring in equal measure...shall be following with interest...shall also be (cough) borrowing your very nice well design
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
This looks promissing. Can't wait to see it finished! :)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »
Fantastic and just the inspiration I have been looking for as I want to do some Russian buildings for WWII and RCW - love the idea of the mural painting in the church. Any chance of close ups of the interior?

I can get a closeup pic but its honestly just a pic of an orthodox mural i found online that was the correct dimension, printed out and glued to the sacristy walls.

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
Almost done! Unfortunately, the new acrylic ink color I bought was so heavy it made the weathering VERY dark on the wood-sided houses. I used a good deal of drybrushing to really lighten up the wood again but there's somewhat of a blue tint to the wood structures. Additionally, I weathered the stucco houses with some beige acrylic paint, then a good semi-dry brushing of white to add depth and shadow. All bases have been texturized and painted with a latex-acrylic paint mix (this provides better coverage and tends to last longer without having to seal the bases). Now on to finishing the roofs, adding ground cover, and gubbinz.

As usual, way more pics and info below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2016/01/eastern-front-terrain-kursk-village-wip_8.html

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »
Look forward to seeing these roofed and painted - great builds...

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
Here it is, fully complete! To be honest, I've been battling the flu this past week, which means I've had zero energy and patience and I finally just reached a point where I wanted this project done. There are things about it I'd change if I had the chance to do it again (make the houses a little smaller, more variation in roof styles, more gubbinz, and some more weathering) but I'm content with how it turned out for now. Enjoy!

More pics here:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2016/01/eastern-front-terrain-kursk-village.html

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
Those are jolly good and perfect for any games set in Russia - be great for RCW too. You need an Orthodox priest for that church.

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
These are the last terrain pieces for the Eastern Front board I'll be making this year - some shell craters. I made these as low, hard cover to break up the large swathes of open group prevalent on the Russian steppe.

More pics and info below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2016/01/eastern-front-terrain-shell-craters.html

Now I'll be starting work on the Burma board for BA Nationals....