Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This is not a test vs Pulp Alley for PA skirmish games  (Read 2715 times)

Offline salcor

• Librarian
This is not a test vs Pulp Alley for PA skirmish games
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »
So I was wondering if anyone out there has used both TNT and PA for post apocalyptic  skirmish games?  TNT of course is designed specifically for PA games while Pulp Alley is not.  I was just wondering the differences between the two.

Salcor

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: This is not a test vs Pulp Alley for PA skirmish games
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
I know Sinewgrab uses PA for his Fallout games, it definitely seems like a flexible system.  I think I'm going with TINAT for my Fallout setting; I'd still like to try PA, it just may be for a different genre/period game.

Offline rollawaythestone

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
I haven't played Pulp Alley, but I can't recommend This Is Not A Test enough. Really enjoying the system.

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »
I did pickup the TNT rules and I am reviewing them now.  I will admit there are a lot of things I like about Pulp Alley, but I am willing to explore other options.

Salcor

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
TNT caught my eye a while back... Haven't caved yet, but I expect it will eventually end up on my tablet.

We have played a lot of Pulp Alley as well as Strange Aeons so something at the scale and scope of TNT would definitely appeal to our group.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
I have not yet looked at TNT, but I am a huge fan of Pulp Alley.  Dave and Mila's system is so flexible, that I use for any skirmish level games I run.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
I have been using Pulp Alley for Fallout for a while now and I love it. I own this is not a test and also wreckage which both are good Post Apocalypse systems that will work great for Fallout. Have not played them yet though. What I prefer about Pulp alley though is it's great flexibility that Sinewgrab mentions and that it is quick for people to learn.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:00:30 AM »
I think shortly you will be able to answer this question definitively.  Pulp Alley has free demo rules that are quite nice and I am working on releasing my own set very soon.  Once those are out, you can compare at your leisure.   I wrote TNT, which I think is a great game, and so far the gaming public has been quite enthusiastic for us.  But I know that Pulp Alley is also a fun game and I love their card system for resolving events.  So in a words, you are quite spoiled for choice.  The one advantage TNT has, was that it was designed specifically for the post-apocalypse, so it has a bunch of extra stuff that would directly apply.  So stuff like  power armor, rad zombies, and other wasteland craziness, are all ready to go.  Pulp Alley you need to write up those rules, but that could be fun it and of itself.   
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline WulframMors

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 04:33:28 AM »
I've played both, and enjoyed both. In my experience, Pulp Alley games tend to have fewer combatants per side, and it lacks a certain sense of lethality, as fights represent the sort of pulpy action where heroes gain second winds and jump back in the fray. There are supplements to pulp alley that can change that up, not to mention add a ton of options, but the core mentality of it being a vehicle of pulp action remains (and it does it very well I might add).

My gaming partner and I prefer TNT for our post-apocalyptic games, but then it seems tailor made for Fallout, so is essentially perfect for our games. It plays like a modern, updated Mordheim, and has a more robust leveling system compared to Pulp Alley.

My Fallout Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63394.0
My Dracula's America Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105669.0

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback.  I have been toying around with Pulp Alley since I saw Malebolgia's Cyber Alley conversion.  The system is very robust and features a lot of mechanics I enjoh, like the reducing die types for damage.  However, TNT does a great job of capturing the feel of Fallout and Necromunda, both games I enjoy greatly.  So my local group is thinking about giving TNT a try.

On a side note I have been noticing an interesting division in the miniatures wargaming world.  So peoplet want a game with pre-established fluff and factions with specific models;  while others want a more open system that is tied to good solid rules that allows the players the flexability to make their own stories. That is why I think TNT will be the preferred system in my local groupbecause everyone loves the Fallout world.

Salcor

Offline Cotton Eyed Joe

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »

Either way you are in for a treat..

I have played both systems and they are both pretty tight. TNT has a great activation system, where Pulp Alleys plot points and cards really stand out as well. Both campaign formats are solid.

I think TNT does handle the Post Apocalypse a bit better due to a wealth of the wealth of background material and critters it has specifically for the period. I might try this first as it is so period specific.

Joe