Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Markers, Roster, both or something else  (Read 2011 times)

Offline timt

• Assistant
Markers, Roster, both or something else
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »
I have seen the attractive markers that are available for IHMN but I am concerned about the amount of visual clutter. In my last game, when I faced the Brick Lane Anarchists, we had a plethora of interim markers on the table. As they were all fanatics, we needed to record who had rerolled their first failed pluck test and also there was how many of those vicious grenades had been used and who was on fire (plenty after indiscriminate use on a large set of melees). If it had been a multiplayer game we would probably have needed to keep track of who had moved and who had shot. So, in the worst case, you might have a table teeming with markers which I would not find appealing.

An alternative that I have come up with is to prepare a roster for each company where you mark each turn what your figures have done and cross off use of Fanaticism, Numbness, grenades, Vulcan coats and so forth. This also has drawbacks but if you have a clipboard you can attach the Company list, playsheets and roster.

What do other forum dwellers do? Have you got any alternatives?

Regards
Tim

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Markers, Roster, both or something else
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
Agreed - I dislike excessive amounts of counters and markers strewn across the tabletop, especially if someone has gone to the trouble of setting up an excellent terrain diorama too.

My (ongoing) preference is to have a simple A4 roster sheet at table edge, easily visible to all, whereby I can place counters and markers on it to show what's happened and what's going on. It does take up some work to create and format a roster sheet for each force, but once done, I feel it's worth it. One tip: make it single-sided.

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
For our games, especially public ones, we use either team or individual roster sheets. To keep track of talents, such as Fanatic or Berserker, I've found differently coloured paper clips to be indispensable as they can be attached and don't slip off the sheets as normal counters seem to do... These paperclips can be found in any stationary shop.

Apologies for the state of the photo, but the idea can be seen.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
Tehet...that is a great idea which I shall be nicking! I must admit that lots of counters on a table has only recently started to get to me but your idea solves the problem nicely!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
Charles and I generally play without counters of any sort. That said now 4Ground have produced a set I have been trialling them.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline archdukek

• Student
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »
We generally find that we can remember most things but the judicious use of markers and annotations on a roster in our larger games can help aid our memories.
When we genuinely can't remember a simple Yes/No die roll is usually sufficient to decide.

John