Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Saxon Army of 1813 (21.3. Grenadiers, Infantry and Artillery)  (Read 14859 times)

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Hi all! With our club running and 1813 campaign using Black Powder this spring and none of us owning any Saxon units I bravely/foolishly promised to paint up the two Saxon divisions and possible the final French division of the VII Corps. With something around 450 Saxon infantry and about 250 French to paint up this might prove to be a bit too much to tackle in such a short time, but then again you never succeed if you don't try :)

I'll be posting finished units here as I get ahead with them. I speed painted the Swiss Division for our 1812 campaign last spring in a bit under two months, but this time I think I'll keep a much more leisurely pace to avoid getting fed up with painting, which happened last time around.

I'll be adding some WIP shots every now and then on my blog if someone wants to follow the progress closer.

24th Division   Generallieutenant Edler von Lecoq
1st Brigade   Oberst von Brause
1st Battalion, Leib Grenadier Garde   1 Battalion
1st Light Infantry (von Lecoq)   2 Battalions - DONE
1st Battalion, Prinz Maximilian   1 Battalion - DONE
2nd Battalion, von Rechten   1 Battalion - DONE

2nd Brigade   Generalmajor von Mellentin
von Spiegel Grenadier Battalion   1 Battalion - DONE
Prinz Friedrich August   2 Battalions - DONE
von Steindel   2 Battalions - DONE

Divisional Artillery   Major von Roth
1st Foot Battery   Hauptmann Kuhnel (8 guns) - DONE
2nd Foot Battery   Hauptmann Rouvroy (8 guns) - DONE

25th Division   Generallieutenant Sahrer von Sahr
1st Brigade   Oberst von Bose
von Sperl Grenadier Battalion   1 Battalion - DONE
2nd Light Infantry (von Sahr)   2 Battalions - DONE
1st Battalion, König   1 Battalion
2nd Battalion, Niesemeuschel   1 Battalion - DONE

2nd Brigade   Oberst von Russel
Prinz Anton   2 Battalions - DONE
von Low   2 Battalions

Divisional Artillery   Major Gau
3rd Foot Battery   Hauptmann Dietrich (8 guns) - DONE
4th Foot Battery   Hauptmann Zandt (8 guns) - DONE

Corps Cavalry   
26th Light Cavalry Brigade   Generalmajor von Gablenz
Hussars   8 Squadrons
Prinz Clemens Uhlans   5 Squadrons
2 Horse Batteries    (12 guns)

1st Cavalry Corps    Generalmajor Lessing
Leib Kürassiere Garde   4 Squadrons
Zastrow Kürassiere   4 Squadrons - DONE

Without further ado let me present the first finished unit; Regiment Prinz Friedrich August. All AB miniatures. Lovely little things to paint, but with only 4 different poses can become a bit monotone so I decided to vary the unit a bit by using a couple of different trouser shades.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:51:37 PM by Nysse »
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »
Lovely. Simply lovely.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
Very nice painting.  I'll follow your progress with interest as one day I'll follow suit.

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »
I want to see more.
Please :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:12 AM »
Simply superb!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »
Thanks guys! I've got the Zastrow Cuirassiers on the table now mostly through block painting so hopefully have them done this week (unless I'm too hungover to do anything after New Years :D ).

Just noticed while prepping minis that for some reason the flag bearers in one command back were Brunswickers instead of Saxons so I can't get the next two battalions done before ordering reinforcements. Would have thought that they are cast the whole command at the same time so mix-ups like that wouldn't happen. Well at least I have the Zastrow's and then a battery of artillery already in store so painting won't be stopped completely. Though we'll see how soon I'll get fed up with painting white all the time and do something else in between :)

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:46:13 AM »
Bonjour,

These look really great!

I'm doing some in 28mm but only at the undercoating stage.

I'm using the excellent Westfalia Miniatures and the guns and limbers are a joy.

I'll provide some piccies when I can.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
Very nice indeed!

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 02:28:46 AM »
great stuff - and what a schedule !

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
Thanks guys! Luckily the first couple of battles that we are going to play will only feature the survivors of the Russian campaign so about 8 battalions of infantry and some cavalry. So I'll only really need to get all of them done sometime in the Autumn as we've usually played a Napoleonic game once every 6-8 weeks or so.

Didn't get much painting done over the weekend as most of free time was fully booked. However I did get in a few hours on sunday and then yesterday to finish painting the Zastrow Kürassiere. Only basing to do and then they are done. After them a short interlude with Flames of War stuff as I have the qualifier tournament for next years European Team Championship coming up and I need to finish my force for that.

Offline baxterj

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
They look excellent. You can try the Dutch-Belgian Hussars as the Saxon Hussars:

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Though I'm leaning on just using French Hussars for the job as they have the correct high plumed shako and the hussar uniforms are virtually identical in all countries. The only real thing to fix is the brass plate in front and even that won't really be too important as it's not really distinguishable at the scale.

The unit that I'm still a bit at loss with is the Prinz Clemens Uhlans as they were transformed from Chevauxlegers to Uhlans for 1813 and there aren't exactly any correct minis available as far as I know. The uniform was very close to the French Chasseur uniform as far as I know. The easy choice would obviously be to just show them as Chevauxleger as they were up to this campaign.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
Nothing finer than an Hussar.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
The unit that I'm still a bit at loss with is the Prinz Clemens Uhlans as they were transformed from Chevauxlegers to Uhlans for 1813 and there aren't exactly any correct minis available as far as I know. The uniform was very close to the French Chasseur uniform as far as I know. The easy choice would obviously be to just show them as Chevauxleger as they were up to this campaign.

They received lances in 1812 - see figure 5 in the plate below for their uniform :

I can't be of much help with 15mm as it's not my scale but I know Westfalia will release 28mm Saxon Uhlans at some point this year. 

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Though I'm leaning on just using French Hussars for the job as they have the correct high plumed shako and the hussar uniforms are virtually identical in all countries. The only real thing to fix is the brass plate in front and even that won't really be too important as it's not really distinguishable at the scale.

French hussars = wrong horse furniture.

For PC Ulans, you would have to do a head transplant onto the Saxon chevauxlegers figures.