Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Saxon Army of 1813 (21.3. Grenadiers, Infantry and Artillery)  (Read 14781 times)

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813 (15.2. Regiment Prinz Maximillian)
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »
Nysse,

Lancer conversions or replacement lances.  I originally used brass wire cut to the appropriate length, then hammered one end and fled it to a lance point.  However, now I'm lazy and use Xyston pikes and snip them to the right length.

The best storage solution I have found is to base all my figures are based on Steel Bases from Ian Carbutt ate Precision Wargames supplied: http://www.freewebs.com/pwsltd/  These are thin, strong and magnetic.  Then I the store figures in Plastic 650ml Microwave Food Takeaway Containers which can be had at kitchen shops or on amazon.  I cover the inside of the lid with a flexible magnetic sheet cut to the appropriate size.  The Magnetic figure bases stick to that and the container clips upside down ton top of the lid, covering and protecting the figures.  These boxes are the stackable and at 7 high you can fit 28 into a 12 bottle wine box.

The advantage of this is that the metal bases protect the figures, and give them some heft on the table...metal bases don't slide down hills!  The magnetic sheet anchors the troops in place - a party trick is to turn the lid upside down and the figures stick.  This means they don't move in transit unless you really shock it but IF you do drop a whole box the metal bases, magnetics and box dimensions mean that the figures aren't bashed about too much.  Finally the box over the top protects from bashing - no bent bayonets, flags or lances, protects from dust, and make it stackable - but because it is transparent you can see what's inside.....and if you want to get figures out you just click off the boxes and they are ready to go.  So reinforcements sit on the table side on their box lids until deployed, with the box lid acting as a movement tray if needed.  Depending on base size approx 150 15mm inf or 35 Cav or 8 guns per box.

I've been wargaming 35 years, have 10,000 troops and only had 1 figure casualty in all that time using this approach despite moving house every 2-3 years and often gaming hours away from home or putting on convention games.

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »
Thank you all!

Lancer conversions or replacement lances.  I originally used brass wire cut to the appropriate length, then hammered one end and fled it to a lance point.  However, now I'm lazy and use Xyston pikes and snip them to the right length.

The best storage solution I have found is to base all my figures are based on Steel Bases from Ian Carbutt ate Precision Wargames supplied: http://www.freewebs.com/pwsltd/  These are thin, strong and magnetic.  Then I the store figures in Plastic 650ml Microwave Food Takeaway Containers which can be had at kitchen shops or on amazon.  I cover the inside of the lid with a flexible magnetic sheet cut to the appropriate size.  The Magnetic figure bases stick to that and the container clips upside down ton top of the lid, covering and protecting the figures.  These boxes are the stackable and at 7 high you can fit 28 into a 12 bottle wine box.

Might have to try ordering some ready made lances then! Though I only need 8 of these so might be just easier and faster to make some from wire.

I actually have a lot of my other minis on magnetic bases for storage and travel. Works quite nicely most of the time. I was thinking about doing these as well, but I already had suitable MDF bases and the rest of my naps are on mdf bases as well so I lazied out. Plus the fishing lure boxes seem to have 32mm wide slots and we are using 30mm wide bases, so not much movement sideways in them. The lid has some foam added to stop them from moving up and down too much as well. The only casualties I've had have been when I've actually dropped the box from a table and then mainly just bent flag poles that could be bent back in place and a bit of touch up paint where it has flaked. I'd imagine magnetic bases would have failed then as well. A bendy flag pole or lance that would spring back into position (like the broom bristle) would help with those cases.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:03:38 AM by Nysse »
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
Very nice painting! I know that Paul Alba is doing a similar project and I really like the AB miniatures.

Some general feedback.

1. Infantry officers should have a gold or silver flame instead of a red pompom.
2. The Uhlans were certainly wearing Tshakos
3. Red Pompoms/Federstutzen were exclusively for the Grenadiers. Sappeurs/Zimmermaenner always had Grenadier status, even when attached to the line infantry.

Our painting cards might come in handy:

http://westfaliaminiatures.com/images/downloads/SaxonPaintingCards.zip

westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 06:38:46 AM »
Can't wait to download them after holidays! iPhone says ... no. 
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »
Very nice painting! I know that Paul Alba is doing a similar project and I really like the AB miniatures.

Some general feedback.

1. Infantry officers should have a gold or silver flame instead of a red pompom.
2. The Uhlans were certainly wearing Tshakos
3. Red Pompoms/Federstutzen were exclusively for the Grenadiers. Sappeurs/Zimmermaenner always had Grenadier status, even when attached to the line infantry.

Thanks for sharing those! Contradicts a bit with the material I've been using, but definitely helpful. Will have to cross-reference some sources again.

I've mainly been using Funcken drawings for guidance and on those it shows line officers, drummers etc. having red plume with gold epaulettes and with grenadier officers having the cords of the tshako red instead of white. Facing colours have been slightly tricky to nail down as well with many sources giving different colours for the same regiments.

Do you happen to know if the Saxon regiments had a habit of going into battle with overcoats? Could be used to add a bit of variety into the units by having some wearing the longer coats.

Good to hear that no Czapkas were present :) That would have been slightly trickier to convert.

I've been following Paul Alba's project as well. Provides some very nice inspiration.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »

Thanks for the painting cards.  Very informative.  They look very accurate - however, could you include the references to the sources on which they draw.  The reason I ask is that you indicate that: Infantry officers should have a gold or silver flame instead of a red pompom.  Which is true if they were wearing parade dress negative plumes.  However, Nysse's figures are clearly in campaign dress.  Here I would observe that the whole flame and plume arrangement was detachable from the skako and was replaceable by a pompom if desired in a similar manner to the French.  It may be that Funcken was drawing on original sources from campaigns whereas your painting cards are drawing on more ornate examples of parade dress.  This is supported by Funken's /Nysse's examples not having the tassels or the gold top band.  So this might just be a dress vs undress issue rather than anything else.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »
Ah, Napoleonics: the gentleman's war begins with the uniform.

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813 (18.3. Regiment von Steindel)
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »

Well it would be barbaric to fight over nothing! Disagreements over uniform colours provide a prefect excuse for gentlemanly warfare.

After a pause I've painted up some more Saxons, this time Regiment von Steindel. With these done I have all of the line infantry finished of the first division. Now if Fighting 15s would receive their new moulds for light infantry and grenadiers I could get on with painting those as well! Oh well I guess in the meantime I have to paint yet more line infantry...

Trying to make the units a bit varied has become slightly more difficult now that my last shipment had a massively lopsided distribution of poses with two making up most of the package and only a few miniatures of one pose. Luckily I still had some left over from a previous batch to even out the units and finally I threw in a mounted commander and casualty add a bit of variety. But even then the infantry is now made of basically 3 poses that repeat on every single base. In future units it will become even worse if I don't get reinforcements before that. Luckily I have some CGM french somewhere so I can do a few head swaps to remedy the situation.

Slightly annoyingly I just managed to notice that Eureka preorder for Salute ended on Wednesday. As I'm making a trip there from Finland this year it would have been very handy to  get all the missing Saxon infantry there. Here's to hoping that they have some in stock anyhow.

Anyway here are the minis!

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »

Nothing contradictory in my earlier post - just the historian in me wanting to see the source references. 

Nice painting Nysse - I don't notice the distribution of poses as you have mixed it up well with different coloured breeches etc.   .......and an impressive rate of painting given the quality.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
Wonderful additions  :-*

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 10:18:12 AM »
Thanks guys!

With a few other painting projects now more or less finished (WW2 in 15mm & 28mm) at least for now, I should be able to put in a bit more time with the Saxons as well! Too bad that I just missed the Salute preorder for these. Would have been so handy to pick the remainder from there. Well hopefully Fighting 15s will soon have new moulds for the light and grenadiers! In the meanwhile I still have miniatures for 4 line battalions, 2 artillery batteries and some cavalry so it should keep me busy for a while.

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813 (15.1. Regiment Prinz Anton and artillery)
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »
This project is finally back from the dead after nearly a two year hiatus! With a few gaming companions leaving the country for a year or so due to work our 1813 campaign got postponed. Combined with a general lack of interest in painting anything for a while lead to this being put on hold, but now with everyone back home and the campaign starting it was high time I continued with the little Saxons.

I picked up where I left off having cleaned up another two battalions worth of infantry and the artillery for the 24th Division. Having painted all the line infantry for the 24th it was time to start working on troops from the 25th Division. This time the two battalions of Regiment Prinz Anton.

I've already got the next units on the workbench with all the 4 light infantry regiments.

But without further ado here are the latest reinforcements! Photo quality is a bit lacking as my DSLR is in service so these were taken with my cellphone.

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
Fantastic.

Thank you for reviving this thread. Your figures are splendidly painted, and magnificently based. How do you do your white?

Cheers,

Kurt.
Ramblings, tips and tricks on painting small scale figures: https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Thank you for reviving this thread. Your figures are splendidly painted, and magnificently based. How do you do your white?

Thank you!

All of these are painted with just a base color, black wash and then a highlight of the same base color. Quick and dirty, but works pretty nicely at this scale. So for the white it's just an offwhite basecoat, black wash to shade shadows and line all the edges and then more offwhite to pick out all the details

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
Gorgeous! And I agree - nice whites.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen