Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newspaper debris?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Otoroshi

• Schoolboy
Newspaper debris?
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:47:55 PM »
Hello, anyone know of any resources for printable newspaper debris for dressing up post-apocalyptic (or other kinds) of wargame terrain? I'm having trouble finding any (most searches bring up newspaper techniques for paper mache, etc.)

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
Re: Newspaper debris?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »
I don´t understand the question sry. Are you searching for finished downscaled printerready newspapers in 28mm Standard, or didn`t you find newspaperpictures while a google search???

Offline Otoroshi

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 05:08:34 AM »
Downscaled 28-ish mm images of newspapers, that can be cut out and glued to scenery to look like trash. I've seen people use them before to nice effect, but I can't find any ready-to-print versions.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
I've not done newspapers but I have googled posters then copied the images and resized them in MS Paint.  Save into a document or picture and print. 

If I was going this I'd google for images copy them into MS Powerpoint or MS Paint and edit them if desired to add new headlines, pictures etc.  Then save the result, resize and print.   

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Snafu

• Bookworm
    • The world en miniature - my blogsite
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
Sometimes we may want to have miniature prints of newspapers or adverts to dress up terrain pieces.  Here is how i do it. Maybe there are far better ways out there. Please let me know.

First you have to know how large you want the images to print.
A common formats for a newspaper ist 400mm width x 570mm height.
Say you want to make a minature print for 28mm miniatures, this is approximately 1:60 scale. The print size would have to be therefore 6,7mm x 9,5 mm.

If you want to resize a real newspaper frontpage, there are many to find at www.newseum.org.

I use GIMP, a free opensource software for image manipulation.

Opening the downloaded image in GIMP will show you something like this under "Image->resize"

Please note, that the newspaper above is not my favourite one :)
But it is bold and simple as usual and good for an example.

For a better printing result, I would recommend to change the printing resolution from 72dpi to 300dpi. In the dialogue box for resizing you also have to specify the width and height, in this example ~ 6,9mm and 9,5mm.

Of cause, the printing result is not readable anymore in this small size. Maybe one should try to make a fake miniature newspaper from scratch.

If you want to cobime some resized images in one picture to save paper for printing, you can do this by generating a new image in GIMP and adding one layer for each resized image.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:20:04 PM by Snafu »
Too old to Rock'n'Roll, too young to die, perfect for tabletop adventures;)

http:\\www.ganzklein.blogspot.com

Offline macgarns

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
You can try your luck with the doll houses websites. They are a gold mine for this kind of thing. I also use 1:35 model kits posters.
FRED

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
Maybe send a PM to the one who makes stuff that you like?

It's not rocketscience though, just scale down a newspaper found on google to a acceptable size (which is as simple as copying a picture, pasting it in Word, and scaling it down in Word, repeat), laserprint a sheet of them, cut, dye with coffee, sand for rougher edges, maybe drop on some ink, dry and then add to taste on whatever model you like. With bigger headlines you'd be amazed what is still readable (I got loads with Hitler is dead! and Einstein dies at 76! which are easy to spot if you look at them hard enough), but also use tons of advertisements and small print papers mixed and mashed in between them.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/