Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Beta version of the elevated area done.  (Read 2404 times)

Offline geboom

• Bookworm
    • http://www.shiftinglands.com
Beta version of the elevated area done.
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:22:57 PM »

I guess it is not that thrilling however I would like to share you my learning process on working with large resin casts like the elevated area as you see on the picture.

The great challenge is to add an elevated area behind the docks. Actually the project so far looks quite the way I had planned. Due to a range of complications however I decided to stop at the point where this picture was taken.

http://www.voidgamers.com/images/data/photo/geboom/projects/boats/GEBOOM-Pict0812.jpg

I will redo this elevation but now I will go for a modular approach. This big cast might look ok but the walls are not completely straight due to the size of the mold. The form of the area is static so it is not possible to expand the area by adding more wall elements.

I already started to remake this project where I will work with loose wall sections, buttress walls and floor elements that you can assemble to your liking. It may look like a major setback but I see this effort as a great learning process in mold making and sculpting.
It might take me about one month or so but once this new version does work then the elevated area project is virtually limitless!

I keep you all informed.

Greetings
Gerard

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

Looks great so far !

Björn
, ,

Offline Lurch

• Librarian
    • http://www.miniaturicum.de
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »
Are you saying that the whole elevated block is from one mold? Casted in one piece? It looks great, at least in the picture anyway.
But I think, as you mentioned, to go to a more  modular approch will have many benefits.

Not only that it will be possible to combine the pieces differently and give the opportunety to create several buildings. I an other advantage will also be for the production (casting) part. Smaller parts are easier to cast and even if you get a miscasted piece, a small one isn't that expensive.

Do you know already how to join the different pieces? Maybe you can do it in a way like the castle pieces from playmobil.

I like your work very much, go on!

Lurch

"Hier hast Du Buch! Hier hast Du Wurzel! B???MMMM! ", Grimm

Offline geboom

• Bookworm
    • http://www.shiftinglands.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:00:29 AM »
Thanks for your input Lurch,

I am working on the modular set at this moment. The way on how to assemble the parts is still something I am working on. It would be great having a system that works likes the playmobil system but making it all work is not that easy. I expect some assembling / gluing is unavoidable.
I do have great ideas with this project. Imagine building this elevation and adding another elevation on top.  3 individual wall elements are carved and one buttress wall as well. From this point I will concentrate on how connect these loose parts.

Hope to show some of this project soon.

Gerard