Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The years of not buying  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The years of not buying
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
Once I tried out that I was only allowed to buy as much as I painted. That worked really well..

For a while...

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »
This is a really tough one. I keep trying to minimize my spending, but when I do spend it ends up being a sizeable amount.

I have one purchase planned for a few Pulp City figures to complete my collection but it's low on the list, as I know the longer I wait the less likely it will be that they end up releasing something before I paint what I have. Having bought the collector's pledge from their Supreme Edition campaign (which was 2014 I think), and gone in for all the figures from the Cold War campaign, that pile is massive, something like 150 figures still to paint.

Another thing I spent a lot on in 2015 was 1:43 vehicles, particularly the Batman Automobilia stuff. I have tons of vehicles now and am really only looking for a city bus and a school bus to cover the bases of what I want. I'd like to have some more classic stuff from the 20s thru 50s, but those far less likely to be found. If I do come across something however, it's likely to be a one-off purchase.

The other big culprit for me was the Batman Miniatures Game. I went in on this in a BIG way in 2015. With the delivery I received yesterday I've acquired over 100 figures for this, and yet have only painted 14 if you exclude objectives, sewer markers and lampposts. I'm trying to ignore the Marvel figures simply because there is only the beginnings of a Spider-Man game, and I'd rather see how far I can get with the Batman range and not spread myself or my wallet even thinner.

Superhero gaming took the front seat for me last year and I intend to keep it that way. With the two I've mentioned, plus Supersystem 4th edition giving new life to all the heroclix I've repainted over the years...I think I'm set.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 06:33:50 PM »
@ Vanvlak regarding storage
Ok, I see. But then I think You are doomed. Because, when I glue plastics ... in the end I do have the minis AND bitz which I usually left in the same box, so twice the storage.  ;D
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »
@Obsidian - it IS tough. I managed to resist the Batman one, but only because I'd invested in PulpCity!

@Drachenklinge - doomed is the right word!  :D As for spare parts, I'm hoping to use them up at as fast a rate as possible. And at least those can go in tightly sealed storage jars in the damp basement - it's metals, transfers, boxes and instruction sheets which suffer.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
I had to bring this up again for two reasons:

1) I made my first purchase of 2016. But I'm not disappointed, it's just 6 models, and they're something I'd had an eye open for for many years; so that's legit  :D

2) On the down side, illustrating my problem very clearly: not more than 3 weeks ago I received a small 15mm scale sci fi force, part of a Kickstarter. Very nice models, around 20 troops and several suits of different sizes. I painted the first two troops, cleaned up 4 more and looked for the rest. And I can't fid them. Would you believe I've managed to lose an entire force which arrived just 3 weeks ago ?!? ::) >:( :-[ Unbelievable. OK, whilst writing this I think I remember where they scurried off to - but that's after spending a merry hour looking all over the place for them. Argh.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
I made my first purchased of the year too, but technically it's a pre-order for the Dark Circus pre-colored set of terrain from Plastcraft.

Over the weekend I resisted the urge to buy a whole bunch more terrain, as I had spent some time sorting through the piles of hobby stuff I already own and had to admit that there is quite simply too much. I've set myself a short goal of selling and painting a small-but-reasonable amount of stuff before I buy anything else. It will be an interesting experiment to see if I can stick to it.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »
2) On the down side, illustrating my problem very clearly: not more than 3 weeks ago I received a small 15mm scale sci fi force, part of a Kickstarter. Very nice models, around 20 troops and several suits of different sizes. I painted the first two troops, cleaned up 4 more and looked for the rest. And I can't fid them. Would you believe I've managed to lose an entire force which arrived just 3 weeks ago ?!? ::) >:( :-[ Unbelievable. OK, whilst writing this I think I remember where they scurried off to - but that's after spending a merry hour looking all over the place for them. Argh.
Well when you find your White Dragon forces send email my way. I make sure they won't disappear again. :-)

Grimm

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
@obsidian3D - best of luck!

@Grimm - thanks, but I think I'd need them and forget I'd sent them to you and not think of asking on LAF, so.....

An update: seeing that I really do need to do something about this, and given my hypothesis that painted models take up less space, I am going to try to get one model painted for each day of the year. Not one every day, just a total of 365, one for each day, by the 31st of December.

>:( Drat - it's a leap year, I had to pick a leap year for this, that's 366  >:(

Anyway - 13 down so far, so I'm already 3 days back... but I can't even show pics as I've started the LPL stuff. Which should, incidentally, help me get through at least 56 models  :D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 03:10:45 PM »
Well, while looking through my Wargames books to read box, located in the shed, I found several books that I already had before buying a new copy thinking that I did not have them.........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Well, while looking through my Wargames books to read box, located in the shed, I found several books that I already had before buying a new copy thinking that I did not have them.........
OK, that is something I have not done - yet!

Offline Bushbaby

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
I officially proclaim the LHA, "Lead Hoarders Anonymous"!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
Haha but we all know who each other are... :P

Offline Bushbaby

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 06:02:07 PM »
"Has your lead adventure turned into a lead pile nightmare?

Join LHA today!"

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »

Ha, Ha,
I have done that more than a few times.
Must be something about being over 60. lol
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 01:44:13 AM »
Like last year (2015) I will work on a zero budget - I can only spend what I can earn from the hobby. Last year I cleared about £800 on ebay and still have £200 to spend.

Its now getting harder to find things to sell but at the same time I am only going to buy what I use... :D

Next year might be harder

I found a used book store in town that was willing to buy some of my old college textbooks, for store credit, that I will be transforming into other used books.  Hail Caesar and some of the Osprey titles, for starters...