Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2 Tour wargames, Dungeon crawl or Warrior Heroes: Legends  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Muminalver

• Schoolboy
2 Tour wargames, Dungeon crawl or Warrior Heroes: Legends
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:43 AM »
Are theese any good? I'm looking for a game system with both camaign system and works for solo play. How difficult are they?

Gabbi

Re: 2 Tour wargames, Dungeon crawl or Warrior Heroes: Legends
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
Purchased Warrior Heroes years ago, as its description sounded exactly what I was looking for. Found it terribly written, with stuff presented in weird order to the point that understanding how the game was intended to play was quite an effort. Honestly, one of the worst written ruleset I've ever read (and I've read quite a lot). Never played it, so I can't tell about the game itself, but the manual was awful. And this is sad, as it seems that 2HW has quite a following, so I believe their games must be good to some extent. Also, if I understand it correctly, the game is now at a newer edition than the one I purchased, so maybe it's better presented now. In fact, I've got Red Sand Black Moon by 2HW recently and I have to say it's written way better than the Warrior Heroes edition I have.

Offline Muminalver

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
Yes, that was what I was afraid of... If i'm going to run a game solo, then should at least the rules be fun to read and easy to understand.

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
The rules from 2 Hour Wargames (THW) have been updated.  Depending on how long ago you purchased Warrior Heroes this may be the very old rules.  Ed at THW just released a free version of Swordplay 2015 that has the most rules. 

http://www.twohourwargames.com/swordplay.html

This allows you to try out the Chain Reaction system for free.  Dungeon Crawl and Warrior Heroes - Legends are similar game mechanics to Swordplay but with additional features such as magic, dungeons, etc (what most want from a typical fantasy game).   I own both Dungeon Crawl and Warrior Heroes - Legends and enjoy them both for solo play. There is also a forum for THW that has lots of posts and you can have questions answered fairly quickly, many times by the author of the game.

NOTE that the Chain Reaction system in THW is different than a lot of IGO-UGO games.   "Grunts" react based on dice rolls.  As the Star you can lead them but they are not totally controlled by you.  It makes the game fun and unpredictable.  In my opinion it is what makes the game fun for solo play.   

Offline Muminalver

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »
I'm going to download the free rules and check EM out..

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:55:07 AM »
Good to hear and hope you like it. 

CR2015 is the 'modern' setting version focused more on ranged combat and it is free too.   :D

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 03:03:08 AM »
Any thoughts or feedback on Swordplay?

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Get the latest versionsf CR and SP.  As well as being better-written manuals, we found that later versions of the games tighten up the Reaction tables so exchanges come to a resolution quickly.

We also found that Ed experimented with several ways of resolving melee combat from version to version - again, get the latest version for a quicker resolution.

It's a decent base system, quite deadly, and you will get the hang of it quickly through play.  The Reaction system is a very clever mechanic, very flexible and dynamic in play.  The feeling is of leading troops who are willing and able when they're fresh, but don't always do what you want when they've seen a bit of blood.

Offline Muminalver

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
I have skimmed through the free download and I kind of get it, will solo test it first but I think I like it. :)

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
The THW Forum has a lot of posts to help get a grasp on the game.  Use the example "stop boxes" in the rules.  Great addition by Ed to the rules as it takes you step by step through the different rules.  Kind of like quizzes at the end of chapters.   ;D

Offline Muminalver

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
My hopes is to test run it next week... :D and yes the stop thingies got me double checking what I har read, smart idea..😃