Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:56:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim - Carnival of Chaos (painting log and campaign)  (Read 4801 times)

Gabbi

Mordheim - Carnival of Chaos (painting log and campaign)
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
Just started a Mordheim Campaign. To keep me motivated I'll keep this log to show my progress with my Carnival of Chaos band.

Heroes:
Tifo (Typhus), the 10-feet tall man (Brute, 2 handed weapon)
Colera (Cholera) (Brute, 2 handed weapon)
Pustolo (Pustolous), the Grand Master of the Circus (Carnival Master, gun, sword (I know, I know it's not wysiwyg, but loved the flail on this mini), buboes)
Bulbo (Bulbous) Baggins (Tainted One, axe, shield, cloud of flies)
Mangiafoco (Fire-eater) (Tainted One, mace, breath of fire (actually, a re-themed stream of corruption))

Henchmen:
Brufolo e Foruncolo (Pimples) (2x Henchmen, spear, axe)
Tajo, (sounds as "cut" in Rome dialect) the knife thrower (Henchman, arc (because the Carnival of Chaos may not have throwing knives. Could you think to a more anti-thematic choice?)
I also have a Nurgling, but for now I have not miniature so no photos for him).

Yesterday we played the first game. 4-players scenario, 6 wyrdstone to collect + secondary missions. Randomized turn order.
Apart from a couple of heroes gone Out of Action (Tifo and Magiafoco), the game did not go too badly. I collected 2 wyrdstone but I haven't completed any secondary mission. Mangiafoco got shaked nerves (-1 Initiative), Typhoid took a hard hit and now has Stupidity. To the other hand, Colera earned 3 points of experience.
At the end of the match I sent heroes to look for a dog and found it on the first try. The next game the circus will have its mascot (if I get the miniature in time lol).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:42:13 AM by Gabbi »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Mordheim - Carnival of Chaos (painting log and campaign)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
LOOKIN' GOOD! I really like the Fellow with the torch. Have FUN with the painting et al!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »
Didn't think I'd see these minis again, any time soon! I'm interested to see your progess.

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
I've had my Carnival of Chaos sitting around for years now. It's great to see the old models.

Where do Colera, Mangiafoco and Tajo come from?

Gabbi

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:27 PM »
Thanks. Will keep the thread updated (that's the purpose :)).
Where do Colera, Mangiafoco and Tajo come from?
Colera is the official Brute, Tifo is the 10-foot tall man :)
They're from Black Orc's Hundred Kingdoms game, from the Freakshow faction.
Detail and sculpt quality is not to the level of GW ones, but they complement well the warband, increasing the carnival feel.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »
Cool conversions and selection of figures!

Gabbi

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »
Ok, quite some time passed and not significant progress. In my defense I can say I had to study for trying getting me a better job ^^;

Anyway, I've started painting stuff. One plaguebearer that will have the dubious honour to be the test model for both paint scheme and my first try in washing with oils (speaking of which: any suggestions or link on the subject will be greatly appreciated).

I've got a second Plaguebearer.

I've also got a model for the warhound/mascot and found a jester that could work nicely as a Tainted One.

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:12:15 PM »
Five weeks of play (one game per week) passed. I fired Tifo (which got stupidity) and I took his brother Vaiolo (smallpox) :)

Colera gained a couple skills, the knife thrower has got a bow wielding companion (in the meantime they rised BS to 4) while the melee henchmen now have WS4 and 2 attacks. And they're 3 now :)

I have to give a skill to Pustolo, but I'm not sure if choosing something defensive or the ability to use any ranged weapon and then buy him something that shoot a little farther than his nose  :D

Hobby-speaking, I have made few progresses than expected, but real life always comes in the way  >:(

I'm experimenting a bit with oils. After all, even in case something goes wrong, it's still Nurgle, so everything's fine anyway  lol

Gabbi

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
Given the great interest shown by this thread lol here is a couple more wip pics:

Main colors done, with very quick shadows and hilights. I've found myself somewhat lacking the love that usually one develops for his warband during a campaign game. I don't know, maybe it's just Nurgle (the rot/disease thing has never been my cup of tea). So, I'm trying to complete them at a somewhat decent level (I think this is the lowest level reached by my painting) as fast as I can to move over to other projects as soon as possible.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
FANTASTIC! The Lads/Whatever all are LOOKIN' GOOD in a diseased sort of way. Your color selection & brushwork are OUTSTANDING, GREAT WORK!

Painting for an out of fashion game does tend to mean less attention, but miniatures as LOVELY as these deserve more comments. Sorry it took me so long to chime in.

Gabbi

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 10:26:45 PM »
Absolutely no need to apologize, DeafNala, I'm writing this mainly to keep myself motivated. I was just joking on lack of interest (which I do understand: not the nicest painted models, by my own admission)  :)
Thanks for stopping by, by the way, and for the kind words :)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 10:54:16 PM »
Heh! I dunno. The painting creates an interesting effect. The green and purple is nice 'n' colourful for the motley and whatnot, but also kind of sickly. I hesitate to say it's because of the slight clash of colours, just in case you hadn't planned that. lol

Gabbi

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »
Color clash is intentional, I had made a few tests before start painting..

I wanted a more sickly alternative to the red/yellow pattern of the GW paintscheme, but still clashing. They're a carnival, after all :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:30:25 AM by Gabbi »

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
Purple and green are standard "contrast" colours, although I rarely see them as well done as here. Absolutely awesome looking.

Are those little armoured Nurglings from the actual game itself?

Gabbi

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words, although I'm not very proud of my paintjobs here ^^

Today we ran our 8th game, and sadly I lost two members: one Nurgling (no tears for him, it's just cannon fodder) and one "melee" henchman. His group has WS4 and 2 Attacks, and with 8pts of experience it wouldn't be easy to replace him (in fact, today's postgame roll wasn't sufficient to hire another 8xp dude).
To the other hand, Colera is now hardened thus immune to Fear :)