Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargame Terrain as stand-alone Diorama Pieces? - Updated 12.01.16  (Read 2509 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
My new Years Resolution is to try and produce not just terrain, but terrain dioramas, pieces of wargame terrain that tell a story.

More details here;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/wargame-terrain-as-stand-alone-diorama.html

What do you think?

Tony
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:39:46 PM by dampfpanzerwagon »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: Wargame Terrain as stand-alone Diorama Pieces?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »
I think it's a good idea, for terrain and miniature bases. There's a limit to how much of this stuff we can have so it might as well be magical rather than bland.  :)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
I think it's a good idea, for terrain and miniature bases. There's a limit to how much of this stuff we can have so it might as well be magical rather than bland.  :)

I agree.

Tony

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
This is an excellent idea. I've tried to make little scenes or vignettes (such as a broken down wagon with guys trying to repair it) to use as terrain pieces (or scenario objectives), and I'm always looking for new ideas.

The thing that kept me from doing more such 'Terrain Dioramas' (I like that notion) is that it can be hard to get the right balance between specificity - that is, telling one story - and versatility, namely making the piece fit all kinds of games and scenarios. It seems to me that this is easier for 'big battle' games - there's always a place for an encampment, or for a prisoner exchange, or a couple of deserters slunking away or whatever. With skirmish games, the terrain tends to be more specific and 'general' scenes won't fit in, as they have much more meaning in the gameplay. And I mainly play skirmish games...

I'm not sure if I make myself clear, but then it doesn't feel as if my thoughts on the matter are very clear  lol
Anyway, I'd really be interesting in collecting and exchanging ideas and making such 'Terrain Dioramas' myself!

P.S.: Perhaps I'm thinking to much in terms of figure vignettes and too little in terms of terrain...

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 08:54:34 AM »
This is an excellent idea. I've tried to make little scenes or vignettes (such as a broken down wagon with guys trying to repair it) to use as terrain pieces (or scenario objectives), and I'm always looking for new ideas.

The thing that kept me from doing more such 'Terrain Dioramas' (I like that notion) is that it can be hard to get the right balance between specificity - that is, telling one story - and versatility, namely making the piece fit all kinds of games and scenarios. It seems to me that this is easier for 'big battle' games - there's always a place for an encampment, or for a prisoner exchange, or a couple of deserters slunking away or whatever. With skirmish games, the terrain tends to be more specific and 'general' scenes won't fit in, as they have much more meaning in the gameplay. And I mainly play skirmish games...

I'm not sure if I make myself clear, but then it doesn't feel as if my thoughts on the matter are very clear  lol
Anyway, I'd really be interesting in collecting and exchanging ideas and making such 'Terrain Dioramas' myself!

P.S.: Perhaps I'm thinking to much in terms of figure vignettes and too little in terms of terrain...

I think you've got the idea - and just have to come up with the right vignette or diorama to fit in with the skirmish games you play.

For example to first of the models featured was modelled to be a Del Boy Trotter style store inspired by Only Fools and Horses, but for the game Pax Bochemannica. Earlier models were themed, but I still think I can go further.

Good luck.

Tony

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »
I thnk its a great idea. The clutter you put around houses really give you an image of the sort of people that live in them and so on.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
I think it is a brilliant idea. One I will try and follow myself.

Masons Upsheet Creek is a wonderfull example of how much extra it brings to table to have a little narrative behind eveything.

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
I've been doing this forever. Good to see you trying it. Any luck with those tufts we discussed?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »
I've been doing this forever. Good to see you trying it. Any luck with those tufts we discussed?

Tufts not so good.

Static grass basing looking great.

Thanks.

Tony

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wargame Terrain as stand-alone Diorama Pieces? - Updated 12.01.16
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 05:42:33 PM »

In part two I have tried to develop this project - so far only words and no new terrain piece but I hope you will see what I am trying for and maybe even contribute.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/wargame-terrain-as-stand-alone-diorama_12.html

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »
 :o  :-*
Those details really brings the terrain to life. The hammersmith's door like a horseshoe is wonderful.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:30 PM »
:o  :-*
Those details really brings the terrain to life. The hammersmith's door like a horseshoe is wonderful.

Thank you.

You can find more here;
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75299.0

Tony