Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is it too early to start anticipating Salute 2016? :)  (Read 13162 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Is it too early to start anticipating Salute 2016? :)
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
It is good to see so many new, smaller companies but I'm wondering if the larger companies (Wayland being the most notable) should be allowed to take such a massive space which could be used to let some more of the lesser known traders in.
I know it's a commercial event but surely a little more help for the little guy would be appreciated?

I organise a similar, much smaller (non-wargaming) event, and this is something that I have always had to think about. I have traditionally had a couple of really big traders who want lots of space so I know it is relatively easy money, however going forward I have made the decision to diversify with new smaller sellers as I think this would bring a bit more diversity. Ultimately I wouldn't have thought that Salute wouldn't struggle finding sellers to fill the gap given that it's the biggest show in Europe, however I'm just speculating.

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2016, 09:13:49 AM »
I noticed that there was space around the outside for some smaller traders and was disappointed to find that Word Forge Games weren't there despite figuring on the trade stand plan.I'm no fan of Wayland(is anyone?) and I didn't visit their 'festival' space but I thought there was plenty of space in there for more traders but only the Warlords know the truth I suppose. I have to say though that I thought it was a cracking show with some excellent small trade stands.It seemed to be extremely well attended but yet again the lighting in that place was absolutely appalling.It was incredible to see the difference the moment you stepped out into the central walkway.If they could rectify this the enjoyment from seeing the painted minis would be marked as it's almost dungeon like in there.
Good moaning

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »

It is good to see so many new, smaller companies but I'm wondering if the larger companies (Wayland being the most notable) should be allowed to take such a massive space which could be used to let some more of the lesser known traders in.
I know it's a commercial event but surely a little more help for the little guy would be appreciated?

Quite, as a fully paid-up contrarian I avoided the massive stalls entirely.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2016, 07:10:05 AM »
I am glad that I went to Salute in the end. It was a grand show and meeting so many people there I hadn't seen for quite a wile was a treat! Hope to see you all next year at another Salute.
I took quite a lot of pictures of the show if you want to have a look go here: www.wargamesgazette.com
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
It was an interesting day, and i can only agree with the others, it was a good show and it was pleasant to meet to many people enjoying wargaming.

First part of my journey over here; http://www.chaosbunker.de/?p=9926&lang=en

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2016, 12:45:02 PM »
I am glad that I went to Salute in the end. It was a grand show and meeting so many people there I hadn't seen for quite a wile was a treat!

My thoughts exactly :)

This was the best Salute I've ever had in terms of getting in - I turned up at 10.20 and the queue was gone - I just walked straight in! Astonishing! Well done The Warlords - you've finally cracked it!

As usual, you hear conflicting opinions about numbers. A couple of traders told me they thought numbers were down on last year. A couple of others told me they had been busier than ever and rushed off their feet. It was certainly difficult to get to see some of the trade stands I wanted to. Just too rammed, and after the first couple of scrums, I just give up because I can't hack constantly being barged...  ::)

I thought the games were better as a whole this year too. Lots of spectaculars, lots of nice little bijou skirmish tables, and barely a Subbuteo cloth in sight - although there were one or two tatty offerings, where you wonder why they bother. But the count of good stuff seemed much higher than previous years. Hurrah.