Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are you a gaming snob?  (Read 20868 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Are you a gaming snob?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
I'm also that jackass who likes to buy colour matched dice for each faction, period pieces for cards/dice, etc.   :-X

lol Guilty as charged...  lol

I must admit to be more of an aspiring snob, really. Even though I really, really want to have all my minis painted, and play them on the awesomest terrain imaginable (and I imagine a lot), I just can't seem to be able to make that a reality.

Mostly time and space restrictions (and in the past, also monetary restrictions) have conspired to force me to compromise, even though I really don't want to.

So that has meant partly painted armies, random shapes as terrain (think cartons, pringle tubes and unfinished fantasy houses next to scifi refineries etc), but never that utopian gaming experience so long aspired to.

But I am still planning, and some day soon, the bestest, prettierest terrain will be populated by armies of Golden Daemon winning minis and there will be much rejoicing!

Yeah... ::)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 08:54:33 AM »
I have never gamed with unpainted figures  (apart from board games) and don't see that I ever will.

I don't think that makes me a gaming snob.

To me, ever since I started wargaming, it was something you did with painted figures...

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:50 AM »
I just remember going to a convention one time which was hosting a Warmachine tournament.  Bless the poor guys running it, but they had a dozen tables with felt (white= snow, green= grass) and went so far as to put brown cut-outs for felt as rocks (2D), and black/grey cut out felt boxes for bunkers (again, 2D).  It almost made me sad to see such a poor attempt at running an event.  It was made worse seeing the tournament underway with almost exclusively unpainted figures clambering over a completely flat gaming surface.

That's not a poor attempt. That's Warmachine being played as the "hardcore game" it can be. You hate it or love it. Warmachine is very precise when it comes down to terrain and movement and the top players (as in the guys who do best at tournaments) play the game as precise as possible. I used to play it that way too in the past and I also ran and judged many tournaments. If I can shoot 10", then 10.01" is out of range. I know that's a big NO for people, but that's Warmachine tournaments for you. It still is the best game to play competitively, but it requires a mindset that is focused on playing the rules 100% as they are. If you and your opponent play it that way, then the game is awesome and really comes down to skill (and luck...dice are involved). If you or your opponent don't play it that way, games can tend to get tiring and irritating.
So the terrain involved in the games you saw probably was used so players know exactly what terain piece is what, how to treat it and how it affects models at what time. As I said: love it or hate it.

Back to the question: I'm not a snob. I'm a guy who likes to paint and likes to play games. I don't see why stuff MUST be painted and I love playing games with unpainted pewter or plastic. Of course, I prefer painted models and scenery but it doesn't irk me if they aren't. For me, it's a hobby which I want to enjoy. So I decide what I paint and when I paint it. And with a zillion running projects...things can go slow :P
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:42:22 AM »
I would say it depends.

I don't have troubles playing with unfinished models/terrain when I am playtesting a scenario/game. In fact it can be somewhat motivating to finish units that has performed particularly well in testgames. But I do want to finish the models/terrain eventually. I aim to only ever play with any given unfinished model once.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
 lol
I've a small force of Normans (round a 100) that I've had in various stages,and quality of painting for well over twenty five years.They have double as every thing from crusaders to late Romans.There still not finished.
I think the desire and belief that figures should be painted is there from day one.Form example I've recently been talking to a chap who wanted to learn how to paint in a to advanced level.Sent him images of different styles and methods and advised on his own figures.Then he wanted tutorial on how to paint Lotr figures.I sent him some images of my gaming force saying that there's no need to go mad and that I use barely a tri shade almost two shade method on my own stuff. Bums on seats is the goal .The belief that I use figures painted to the same standard as commissioned work and wouldn't use or accept anything less on a table has led to slice not a single email since  ;D
So the ' Snobbery ' is more the chasing of the idea of the perfect table .Its something to aspire too. Than to have because even if you have a pretty table and everyone loves it ,there's always something about it that bug the hell out of you ;)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:33 AM »
The Shed has a very simple philosophy...no unpainted mini's. As long as they have paint they are good to go.

Ref the comment about toy cars....I for my sin use a number of lledo and matchbox cars for my pulp and vbcw games. One day they might get painted again  (but they are painted)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
Is it snobbish when the standards only apply to yourself? (A.k.a. "I'm not a snob, it's just that everyone else are such plebs..."  lol )

I'm mainly into wargaming for the fun, stories and pretties. All of which, to me, are enhanced by good-looking terrain and painted miniatures. Plus I enjoy the modelling and painting part of the hobby immensely. So I always try to make my terrain look good and field all painted miniatures when possible (only exceptions being test-games and missed deadlines, in the latter case, the mini will be finished the next time we game!)
I do not expect the same from those I game with, though I do appreciate it if they show similar effort. I realise that, even within the relative niche of wargaming, not everyone has the same preferences and talents. For example, I'm dreadful at min-maxing/calculating odds and subtle strategy/tactics, someone else may be brilliant at that but be all thumbs with a paintbrush. Doesn't mean we can't have fun together. We may even help each other out ("I'll paint your mini's for you, you teach me how not to TPK my warband in the deployment phase.")
As long as the mutual objective is sociable fun with little mandollies, the rest are mostly peripheral concerns.

It also helps that I usually get so few games in, I'll grab any chance I get to roll some dice with someone...

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
I would only game with painted figures. If I ever arranged a games with someone I didn't know and they turned up with an unpainted army I would still have the game but maybe not arrange another one [insert guilty icon here]

That said I remember once seeing a battle report on a forum where all the figureswere unpainted. The gamers were clearly so keen, what with their figures having just arrived, they just had to stick them on temporary bases and start gaming. I couldn't help but admire their enthusiasm. 

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
:P I've been a snob since 1968 and proud of it!  :P

These were our first warriors, taking the field using Charles Grant's 'Battle- Practical Wargames' rules. Gloss pink blob for the flesh, gloss black rifles and boots, and a blob of gloss green on their 'ats. Painting's only improved marginally over the years, never once has an unpainted model found it's way onto my Fields of Glory.

AIR1703 "Airfix Infantry Combat Group"

:-*

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:56:47 PM by Westfalia Chris »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »
Short answer "No"

In my initial phase of gaming 20 odd years ago proxies abounded, unpainted minis were the norm (or no game would have gone ahead) and the scenery was upturned polystyrene box buildings and a sheet with books underneath.

Now I aspire to not use any unpainted minis but in the interests of variety and getting the game on will do so.  That means unpainted scenery is normal, the minis haven't been properly based and some odd bare metal makes its way onto the table when required.

I don't have a lot of time for painting or gaming and would rather err on the side of more gaming and less painting if the opportunity presents itself.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »
I would only game with painted figures. If I ever arranged a games with someone I didn't know and they turned up with an unpainted army I would still have the game but maybe not arrange another one [insert guilty icon here]

That is why I always arranged games where I provided both sides of the fight until I was sure my opponent had his painted. When I was teaching and ran the high school gaming club we occasionally played with simple terrain features some 2d simply because I had so many games going on and limited funds/space. But I taught them how to make better terrain and as time went on the tables looked better. If we went to the local game shop for a game (which our club did once each year) It was always done with our best painted figs and quality terrain.

I find the subject of painted mini's and excellent terrain most important when the game is going to be conducted in a public setting. Who wants to go to our local game store or a convention and see tables covered with "Ghost troops" (my label for unpainted troops  :D) or terrain that looks like a poor after thought. I want people to walk by a game I am running and say wow that looks good. It does not have to be professionally painted it can be a mediocre paint job but its painted. The player has taken the time to put forth their best effort and I appreciate that. The same goes for the table set up the terrain may show basic modeling skills or be purchased but at least there was an attempt to make it interesting and over time that player will get better at it.  When we are presenting the hobby to others it should be done in such a way to reflect well on the hobby.

If that means I am a gaming snob so be it  8)  

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
Sorry chaps just noticed that the predictive text is playing havoc with my dyslexia (but I'm not going to go back and edit anything ).
As for the toy car pet hate ,it's more of a Display game at shows ,than in general I use them even though I've access to resin gaming ranges.Some time there just more fun and more cost effective .
Mark.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
Mark, how did you attach that vehicle to its base? I'm in the middle of doing some and need to know a good method. I have a feeling that if I just super glue it to the base it ain't gonna last.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
I agree with the cars statement, but I think we mean these:

The cheap toy cars straight out of the wrapper and placed on the table, with their resplendent glossy chrome plasticized wheels etc. I wouldn't mind some Corgi cars placed straight on etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »
I just remember going to a convention one time which was hosting a Warmachine tournament.  Bless the poor guys running it, but they had a dozen tables with felt (white= snow, green= grass) and went so far as to put brown cut-outs for felt as rocks (2D), and black/grey cut out felt boxes for bunkers (again, 2D).  It almost made me sad to see such a poor attempt at running an event.  It was made worse seeing the tournament underway with almost exclusively unpainted figures clambering over a completely flat gaming surface.

There is a very big wargames show, my favourite in fact, that I will not name as I think that it's unfair, who do this. I find it massively disappointing as it takes a huge amount of space in a site which is at it's capacity. There are tables and tables of tournament games with unpainted armies and poor scenery and it makes me think does this really need to be at a convention? This could be done at any club night, why not put on some nice looking games or bring in some additional traders that will actually contribute to the development of the show.

So yes I am a snob and although my opportunity to game is very rare I buy and paint to a standard at which I would like to see when at a convention or a decent games night.