Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tales from the Tin Shed,Q and A Card modelling Thread.  (Read 2093 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Tales from the Tin Shed,Q and A Card modelling Thread.
« on: January 11, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »
Hello,
The purpose of this Thread is to Help if your unsure of how to card model.or indeed if your stuck and can't figure out how to get pass an issue.
Now I'm not claiming to know everything or would ever do so.Infact I'm openly inviting others to post there models and tips in this thread.As I'm just as keen to learn as to show.
Please keep in mind that this is a Topic on and about card modelling so avoid posting anything that isn't card based.
Look forward to seeing what everyone's upto and knows !
Mark.

I've include some images of the card models,or models which have been modified with card.That I've done over the last year .As a recap and for people who aren't familiar with the medium.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:07:51 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tales from the Tin Shed,Q and A Card modelling Thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »
Just a few more,to show you can pretty much make anything from a cereal packet card.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »
Well - you provide plenty of evidence.

:o

I suspect all I will continue to make with them at least for the long term is filling for the recycle bin.  ;D

Still, as always brilliant and inspiring work!

Maybe, just maybe I will give it a go myself one of these days.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »
Superb.

Tony

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:50:50 AM »
I take it you eat a lot of cereal?  lol ;D

Superb work.  8)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:28:33 AM »
Tactalvanic,
Just have a go,if your not happy with the results,then all you've done is delayed your recycling for a couple of hours ;) joking aside if you do have a go I'm more than happy to trouble shoot / help talk you through a project .by pm or email.
Mark.

Hupp,
I don't eat cereal :? But the five teen age offspring that roam the house are part locust,on average three to four boxes a week.more when we foster. lol

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:48 AM »
On a more serious note,  :D  maybe you could talk through your basic supplies/techniques you generally use? The kind of glue, tools, maybe if/how you clamp/secure pieces while they dry?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »

+1 to Hupp's comment, Although I think I will dig through your old threads again anyway  :)

See what glues etc your using and dig out some of the many downloaded paper model plans to - I have quite a few stored on the home computer - as a  "maybe later" thing in the project list.

Maybe this month actually finish some painting and then take a crack at the start of the new Month - expect some questions then :)

After all I could do with some sci-fi ish armour etc.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
Of course  ;D
The idea behind the tutorial's Is the  :? Face you pull when you read a tutorial in a magazine .That tells you how wonderfully simple a build it is,if you only source some exotic material ,or spend the family fortune on plastic card.
So I started reminding people that the things you made as a child were valid modelling.All you need to do is update the subject matter,and refine the shapes and styling.But the main point is reminding you of the fun,as child you grabbed any empty packets you were allowed and built what ever you wanted,you. Never doubt yourself if you could build a spaceship you just built.
What does it matter  if its wonky and misshapen(everything I make is) you don't have to show anyone and its barely cost anything and you've got time to regroup and learn while you eat your way to the next empty box.
To come to the point in adult terms this zero or near zero cost modelling.It works on the following assumption's.
As Gamers' /Modellers  you already have access to paints and any scenic accessories you'd need if you choose to base the model.
This also goes for tools and adhesive's.

As for materials it varies from project to project.However all items used are what most people tend to have around the house,and at worst if you need to buy in won't cost the earth,and you'll know where to get them locally.
Most of these builds are nothing more than card and cocktail sticks.
In the case of the private tutorial I did on the tramp steamer
The sea is toilet paper twisted into loose 'ropes'and covered in neat PVA.
The mast is a chopstick,the deck gun is an old figure painting brush(you could also make the mast this way)equally you could have made the whole thing out of card.
The Pulp Flyer is cereal packet card and cocktail sticks machineguns.The flying stand is a BBQ  kebab stick.
And that is as exotic as it gets for materials.

Tools.
Ruler,sandpaper,files,compass,or coin depending on the size of circle required.Sharp knife(the sharper/the newer the blade the better).
Not scissors  never scissors they compress the edge if the card(unless that's the effect your after)

Adhesive.
PVA,Uhu,and predominantly superglue.

As for clamping there's not much call for it because of the speed at which the glues work on card.just holding it in place is often enough.

The main  question I get asked .Is how do you get so thick on the sides ?
Layering its that simple ;D

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
Some exquisite work there ;)
Looking forward to the tutorials!

Not tempted to try plasticard?  

I've been told off for pinching the cornflake boxes before the contents are eaten...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:49:01 AM by Rich H »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »
Excuse the. Pigeon English  of the last post as I'm typing on a phone to day.
A note of caution if your going to use paper model plans then you'll find you cant use the nets to form shapes in card ,they only work on paper as card is too thick to fold neatly and often requires pre curving before being curved or bent. Into shape.
Its not a major issue  you just have to cut the nets up into individual panels and glue them together to form the shape,rather than bend the net into. Shape.

As for picking my brains,no objections.(its actually possible to build an older version of a 40k rhino in card that'll past muster(infact the last one I did people didn't believe it was card until they picked it up)

My Bad the cardinal rule of this type of card modelling ! I forgot to mention it.
When ever possible the printed side ,inside!

lol I do use plastic ,and brass ,and clays.Otherwise there'd be some seriously odd looks when I drop off masters.This isn't a method many people. Would commission  .But it does. Allow you to build and experiment cheaper and a dammed sight faster than plastic.
Otherwise you'll end up with the print showing through your paint as raised areas when the light hits it from the wrong angle.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »
 :? Thank you for your PM.Yes it is 28mm.This is a lead boiler 8" howitzer this does not mean I intend you not to buy commercial models.Its just the simplest method to show it is 28mm.the wheels are slightly oversized (mentioned in the tutorial ,just to make it easier for the people who were building it for the first time)