Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689822
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Commandos  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: British Commandos
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 05:55:15 PM »
Everyone take a deep breath... maybe the handle is for carrying the hot barrel that you are changing out.  Anyone who has fired a gun before knows that the barrel can get very hot.  I can not imagine how hot a barrel would be if you had to change it out after putting a few hundred rounds through it.  On the other hand, I can think of a couple of things that soldiers have used for purposes that they were not originally designed for.  So both are right :)

Here are the updated figures.  The uniforms have been given a green wash, but that doesn't show well in the pictures.  You can see it more on the guy on the left.  The controversial carrying/changing handle has been given a wood color paint over, and the knit cap has been painted a muted green.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Justin

Look great do they Justin.

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »
A change of barrel proceeds as above, with the No.1 Calling “Barrel!” The No.2 proceeds to remove the magazine as per loading, but does not offer a new one, instead closing the dust cover over the magazine well. On the removal of the magazine No.1 charges the weapon twice to prove it clear, before engaging the safety catch and placing his right hand under the toe of the butt. With the butt supported by his right hand, the No.1 then reaches forwards with his left to manipulate the Barrel Latch, calling “Safe and Free!” While waiting for the No.1 to complete his actions, the No.2 obtains the spare barrel from the barrel bag, visually checking the bore is clear and unobstructed. Upon the No.1’s affirmation that the weapon is safe and the barrel is free, the No.2 removes the hot barrel, handling it by its attached handle and laying it safely to one side, before replacing it with the new barrel, calling “In!” once the barrel is seated cleanly in the receiver and the gas block has engaged with the operating rod tube. No.1 then latches the barrel with the call “Home!” returning his left hand to the butt grip if provided or the small of the stock, and his right hand to the charging handle. No’s 1 and 2 then proceed as with a normal magazine change.

Changing a Bren barrel.
Bren holdall with spare barrel:

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »
I used to carry one of these during basic training and I don't remember being able to carry the gun by that handle. We had a sling, the handle was used to change the extremely hot barrel If you tried to carry the gun with this handle there was a chance of disengaging the barrel if my memory serves

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
I trained on this weapon back in the seventies, I think your memory is playing tricks on you Col, the handle on the barrel can be lifted up to allow you to carry the weapon over short distances Ie running from one fire position to another.
It is also used to hold the barrel when changing it coz the barrel gets really hot, however to remove the barrel you first have to lift the release latch on the left hand side of the weapon and then lift the handle to the point above the barrel to remove it. The barrel will not come away from the weapon unless you lift the release catch first.
If you wish to fire the weapon on the move that's when the sling comes in handy as it takes the wait of the weapon as you walk forward.
So the handle is used for carrying and for changing the barrel so everybody's right.

Offline sniperbait

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
I wonder if the handle on the back is to hold with the left hand whilst firing in a prone position like a boys anti tank rifle?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
So the handle is used for carrying and for changing the barrel so everybody's right.

Very diplomatic Jeff, but matakishi's still wrong, here's the full gubbins he cherry picked a bit from to suit, on page 12 there's a barrel with the little wooden thingy clearly named as what it is... a carrying handle! He also stated that even though I could post half a dozen piccys of Tommy's carrying a Bren about by this handle it still doesn't make it one... what's that all about!?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 11:06:29 PM »
Really?  ::)

Back on topic soon, hopefully.

They are slightly odd looking figures. But I've certainly seen real items of battledress which were very much at that brown end of the khaki spectrum, so I think it passes muster  :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:27 AM »
Back on topic, see the browny trousers on the dummy in Harry's Bren Gun corner!
I used to shoot that gun till the firearm law's changed in Blighty and we had to either surrender our semi autos or get them de-activated. It's a proper Enfield Bren which I didn't want to part with. When I had it de-acked I started to collect all the bits and bobs that should be in the chest, which is just about complete now.

:-*

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 06:08:21 PM »
I wonder if the handle on the back is to hold with the left hand whilst firing in a prone position like a boys anti tank rifle?

That seems logical, I can't think of any other use for the awkward looking thing. Since it was discontinued on following marks, presumably they decided that leaving it off and having the firer put their left hand on top of the butt near their cheek (pfff) was much simpler.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »
Never got to fire a Bren but I did train on the GPMG 7.62. No handle. Lovely pair of asbestos mitts to unscrew the barrel. One knew it was too hot when the tracer would ignite at the tip and go off like laser beams. The G-pig. Aptly named. Stoppage! Stoppage!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:38 PM »
Never got to fire a Bren but I did train on the GPMG 7.62.

I trained on it a little when I was a teenager with the cadets. We used the handle to carry it when quickly jumping up from a fire position to scuttle to the next one. It was easier to do that, from lying on your belly to up into a crouch and running, than to pick it up in both hands. The angle of the handle made it dangle in a slightly less awkward way to hold ... but then as a teenager I had considerably better developed wrists.  :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
That seems logical, I can't think of any other use for the awkward looking thing.

Mark I Bren being fired by Private Syd Palman of the Calgary Highlanders on the range at Camp Shilo. Note the use of the pistol grip on the butt to steady the weapon. Photo courtesy The Calgary Highlanders Regimental Museum and Archives.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »
And there it is.

Thanks Harry.

Thanks Syd.

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
What paint did you use for the uniform? A lot of guides l have seen suggest using Vallejo's English Uniform but it looks too Brown for my taste.

As for the carrying handle debate, Valiant included an arm option carrying a Bren by the handle in their late British box, l also asked my father-in-law, a Korea and Malaya veteran, who confirmed the weapon was carried by the handle but not when going into action for obvious reasons.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 02:36:35 AM »
It's not the colour of the uniform that's throwing your I think is a very good chance you've seen the chest rigg on the gunners just need a touch of the webbing colours and not twigged .Then the Browns won't look so dark.
The hands are a little to far back on the figures ,it's not bad sculpting just not being familiar with fire arms less people are these days (in th uk). Their a little dark for my taste ( I tend to run with a more subtle pallet)  I suspect the photos don't do them justice So I'm going to keep an eye out for more and (some pictures in daylight   ;))
Mark.