Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for create your own futuristic Battle Vehicles rules  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
Looking for create your own futuristic Battle Vehicles rules
« on: January 15, 2016, 04:49:14 AM »
Anyone know of a good rule set that would enable me to make stats/weapon lay outs with minis i own rather then having to buy mins to play it?
Also wanting rules that kids could used clean simple and fun. [eg don't want to have to keep flicking through a massive rule book to find stats, special rules etc.] as my only available opponents are my son who will be 8 come may and my Daughter who turns 10 in April.

I've kit bashed four mech style minis of various sizes so we can battle it out in an arena of some kind. will post pics as I get them painted.

Thx for any help given.

Cheers
LGW
Gaming Dad

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:16:12 AM by Lord GreyWolf »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Looking for Battle Arena style Mech rules
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
Gangfight Games has Mechadrome but that is built around their own mechs. Whether or not you could adapt things, I have no idea but it is an avenue for you to look into:

http://www.gangfightgames.com/mechadrome/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:34:39 AM by Inso »

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
MEKATAC are simple, fun, miniatures free and well, free: http://home.dejazzd.com/broadsword/Giant_Stompy_Robots/GSR_Index_Page.html

BATREP here: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Meka%20Tac

Must play them again someday

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:31:24 PM »
I new about Mechadrome not sure I could work out how to use our mechs as they aren't in that "robot" style...

For example I have a fully kit bashed:
Mechs:
Scorpinon: A Scorpion mech with Flammer/acid spray stinger, turrent mounted assault cannon, mandible lasers and two very large claws. medium armour and fast, very agile.
Bio-mass: A fusion of flesh and mech components this mech has a turret mounted cannon [could be any type of weapon] a front arc Plasma/Fusion cannon, powerful fists. heavy armoured and lumbering
Doom-Trike: Mech on wheels, this mech is three wheeled mech killer, armed with a long barreled cannon that can fire multiple shots., decent armour, and supped up engines it can get around the battle field so i can bring doom to enemy mechs [NB: may have to give it some more weapons.]
Blood-Skull: fully airborne threat, this heavy armoured, terror in the skies has wing mounted assault cannons, missiles, and a nose mounted beam weapon.

not sure what scale to use with them as most of the components used were 28mm originally. Blood Skull is made entirely of terrain pieces left over from build up Deadzone terrain and other bits of building parts.

Scorpinon uses a 15mm tank hull for the main body part and turret.  the kids helped with the part choices on each mech. So they really want to use the one they helped design.

I'll add in some pics this afternoon so you can get a better idea as to what we are aiming for in a rule set.

Cheers
LGW

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
We've done an Arena game or two with Mech Attack.  Usually we play it in 10mm with rebased mechwarrior clicky vehicles, but it works fine with 6 or 15mm as well.  It's by far my favorite game for engagements of 1-8 units per side. It bogs down a bit when you get over 10 units per side.  It's got an easy unit creator and covers many of the same things as BT in a much-simplified fashion.  Many different weapons, an armor grid, heat tracking and other gear.

It's also super cheap ($6) and pretty well written and laid out.
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/3148/Armor-Grid-Games-and-Miniatures?affiliate_id=289578
Though it's aimed at BT'ish mecha, they have some playtest rules for aircraft on their forum here:
http://armorgridgames.proboards.com/thread/187?page=4

We've used it for Lance V Lance battletech'ish games and you can wrap up a game in under an hour rather than 4. I also use it each year to run massive 28mm scale mech combat games at local conventions. http://armorgridgames.proboards.com/thread/187?page=4

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Mobile Frame Zero is a game designed for play with Lego mechs. As such, it's pretty much the definition of "design your own".

http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

Offline Galadrin

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
Heavy Gear Arena lets you customize your 'Mechs, I believe, and it is literally a "battle arena" Mech game.

Offline Cergorach

• Student
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:35 PM »
This is going to get me shouted out of the room... But Battletech: Solaris 7

Battletech allows you to build your Mechs from the ground up, you can do that for your kids, when they get older they can do it themselves.

You can get the pdf from DTRPG with just the basic rules. You can introduce new things easily without having to toss them the hardcovers. Just copy/paste the relevant rules out of the rules pdf and keep it simple.

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:27 AM »
We've done an Arena game or two with Mech Attack.  Usually we play it in 10mm with rebased mechwarrior clicky vehicles, but it works fine with 6 or 15mm as well.  It's by far my favorite game for engagements of 1-8 units per side. It bogs down a bit when you get over 10 units per side.  It's got an easy unit creator and covers many of the same things as BT in a much-simplified fashion.  Many different weapons, an armor grid, heat tracking and other gear.

It's also super cheap ($6) and pretty well written and laid out.
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/3148/Armor-Grid-Games-and-Miniatures?affiliate_id=289578
Though it's aimed at BT'ish mecha, they have some playtest rules for aircraft on their forum here:
http://armorgridgames.proboards.com/thread/187?page=4

We've used it for Lance V Lance battletech'ish games and you can wrap up a game in under an hour rather than 4. I also use it each year to run massive 28mm scale mech combat games at local conventions. http://armorgridgames.proboards.com/thread/187?page=4

I played Mechwarrior back in the day it was fun but hard to get those here in NZ. They Lad prefers to make our own types of machines.
Had a look at the Armour Grid site... if we can "make our own vehicles" then that would be cool.

Mobile Frame Zero is a game designed for play with Lego mechs. As such, it's pretty much the definition of "design your own".

http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

I found Mobile frames and it seems it might be useable for what we are intending but need to have a look at how easy it will be to play.

Heavy Gear Arena lets you customize your 'Mechs, I believe, and it is literally a "battle arena" Mech game.

looking into this seems its no longer in print...

This is going to get me shouted out of the room... But Battletech: Solaris 7

Battletech allows you to build your Mechs from the ground up, you can do that for your kids, when they get older they can do it themselves.

You can get the pdf from DTRPG with just the basic rules. You can introduce new things easily without having to toss them the hardcovers. Just copy/paste the relevant rules out of the rules pdf and keep it simple.

DTRPG does not have BT:Solaris 7 on there only the Black Thorn book. will do some more goggling on this to see if it fits.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Lad and I now have really different types of Vehicles now he has three in total :
1] His very large bomber/transport aircraft, nose weapon, wing mounted medium cannons, and missiles.
2] Land carrier that has robot kamikaze motorbike drones [old epic scale space marine bikers] and two banks of missile silos and a earthquake cannon.
3] three wheeled vehicle that has missile pods and mortars. pretty much a very mobile artillery vehicle.

for me:
1] light armoured scorpion vehicle with two heavy claws, stinger tail and a medium/heavy turret mounted weapon
2] slow moving heavily armed and armoured walker has two medium guns [one on each shoulder] head mounted plasma/fusion cannon and turret mounted mega cannon
3] heavily armoured skimmer typed vehicle multi-firing cannon, heavy machine-gun weapon and a single use missile

So each of us has a fast moving vehicle, a slow moving vehicle and flying/skimmer versions.
on my days off I'll try and get some pics done so you can see where we are going... due to using 6mm epic scale minis for his land carrier that will be the scale the vehicles are set in.

we are currently looking at making ur own rules... will see what we can do if anyone has any advice on this let me know.

Cheers
LGW

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 01:07:04 AM »
Sounds like you're not really building mechs but large crazy post-apocalypse machines?  Maybe something in that genre fits?  Surely someone has put together some rules where you create your road machines etc.?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 02:15:20 AM »
Sounds like you're not really building mechs but large crazy post-apocalypse machines?  Maybe something in that genre fits?  Surely someone has put together some rules where you create your road machines etc.?

yup its sort of turned into that over the past few days as each vehicle is built its altering the way we were looking at it.

will have to update the title now...

Cheers
LGW

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »
I played Mechwarrior back in the day it was fun but hard to get those here in NZ. They Lad prefers to make our own types of machines.
Had a look at the Armour Grid site... if we can "make our own vehicles" then that would be cool.
The rulebook has rules for statting vehicles, infantry and mecha, and the playtest rules I linked to have aircraft.

If you want to have crazy flying machines and stuff, you will have to do a bit of houseruling but the entire system is based on "build points" so it's mostly a matter of raising the BP limits and adding more features, armor, etc.  I've done this a couple times to make Mecha bigger than their largest "Heavy" class and Vehicles bigger than their largest "Medium" class. It worked quite well.

That it is so easy to build units from scratch and to adjust them later is one of the best things about Mech Attack, but I would add also that we've run it at conventions with kids as young as 7 (with a parent's help) and they had a great time.

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Looking for create your own futuristic Battle Vehicles rules
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:11:39 AM »
next pay day will buy the set and check them out thx for the advice. will update once I have the rules.

cheers
LGW