Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:41:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newbie question: Warband build  (Read 3982 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Newbie question: Warband build
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:07:24 AM »
Hi Frostgrave veterans, I'm getting into this game, and would like to build and paint all the henchmen I'll need in my game. So I'd like to know from you who already got through a campaign game which is the most probable overall setup of the Warband. I'm talking about all the minis I'll be needing through the levels, from thug to paladin and above. I know this will vary wildly from one game approach to another, and it's OK for me to build more henchmen than those that will actually see the battlefield. Thank you!
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Thunder

• Student
Re: Newbie question: Warband build
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »
This comes down entirely to your own personal preference. I usually let it depend on what I have models for within the theme of my warband.

For example, for a dwarf warband I go with thugs upgraded into man-at-arms, templars, and knights. Crossbowmen upgraded into marksmen. And some constructs if I go enchanter for the dwarfs.

For a human illusionist 'carnivale'-theme I went with fast movement units, lots of dashing around the board. Thieves upgraded to treasure hunters, archers upgraded into trackers/rangers. And a barbarian as a strongman sort of guy. A joker bard, etc.

In the end most guys are viable. They all die the same, knight or thief. So pick a theme and go with what you think fits.

Theme aside, in practise you'll probably want some ranged units (2-3 seems to be common, but some go with a lot more, or none at all). Some fast guys for treasure carrying, some tough guys like knights, templars or barbarians for duking it out in a brawl.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »
Unless things go horribly wrong (and you'll have to resort to a warband of the weakest figures available), you can basically build two warbands: your initial group (likely wizard, apprentice and 6-8 others - mostly 20-50 gold figures, perhaps 1 or 2 better ones) and your 'dream team', which you'll be working towards. How quickly you will reach the latter depends enormously on the treasure you find and casualties you take, but you are likely to eventually end up with the band consisting of just 80-100 gold figures. And a warhound, due to the kennel (always a good investment).

As outlined above, you will likely want a few models to have ranged weapon (2-3), several fast models (trackers, rangers, treasure hunters, initially thieves) just to carry treasure off, and fill the remainder with brawlers, be they knights, barbarians or templars. To give an impression, the starting warband for my Necromancer was:

Wizard (staff, dagger)
Apprentice (hand weapon, dagger)
2 x War Hound
Thief
Thug
2 x Archer
Infantryman
Treasure Hunter

And a good few games later, the soldiery has been transformed to:
War Hound (kennel)
Infantryman (will be replaced by something better once he dies.. but he has shown to be quite resilient so far!)
2 x Treasure Hunter
2 x Ranger
Marksman
Barbarian
Knight

Planning something similar for another band (Summoners), albeit slightly restricted due to the theme, though it is a bit more streamlined:
Wizard
Apprentice
1 x War Hound
2 x Thieves
2 x Infantrymen
3 x Archers

Final team will hopefully approximate:
1 x War Hound
3 x Treasure Hunter
3 x Ranger (1 might be a Tracker instead)
1 x Barbarian
1 x Crow Master
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »
I agree with @Thunder that it entirely depends upon what you want in your Warband.

Personally I go for

1x Wizard
1x Apprentice
2x Warhounds (For tying up wizards in combat)
2x Archers (we limit games to 6 turns so spending 1 action to reload rules out crossbows for me)
1x Tracker
1x Treasure Hunter
1x Thief

I try to avoid combat, and aim to run in, grab the treasure and run out, so I want fast mobile figures. Then as @Coenus Scaldingus says, upgrade them later on when you have more gold or ... in my case ... have to replace dead ones.

I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »
Gonna have to agree with all the above.

For example, unlike Azzabat I don't take Warhounds, and although we also use a turn limit (5 turns plus a 50/50 for a turn 6) I do take crossbows, as I just position them so I don't need to move them.

I think you just need to see what type of troop suits your play-style (plus don't forget that new troops are being added in the supplements).
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »
My suggestion would be to work out your starting warband, and then do whatever grabs your fancy.

Starting warband:
3x Infantrymen
2x Crossbowmen
2x Thieves
1x Warhound

I'm mainly using minis from Otherworld and Heresy Miniatures, so some of them will quite happily be able to be used as multiple entries.

For example, http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/da-series-dungeon-adventurers-blister-packs/dad16-female-gnome-fighter/ is starting as a Crossbow(wo)man, but might be used as a Marksman later on in the campaign.

Also, http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/da-series-dungeon-adventurers-blister-packs/dah15-human-female-thief/ is begining as a thief, but might see double use as a Treasure-Hunter as we develop.

Having said that, I've got so many random character figures lying around that I'll probably end up painting at least one of everything.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
Wizard
Apprentice
1.   Marksman
2.   Marksman
3.   Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter
4.   Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter
5.   Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter
6.   Thief eventually upgrade to Treasure hunter
7.   Warhound eventually upgrade to Templar
8.   Warhound eventually upgrade to Templar

This is 300GC even and gives a good mix of dash and grab/disposable and firepower

Inn bonus: Marksman
Kennel: Warhound

As mentioned these are my normal upgrades. This gives good ranged firepower(marksmen), a few bodyguards for my wizards(Templars and warhound) and 4 treasure grabbers(Treasure hunters). As soon as I have the money to spare I buy rings of teleport for the treasure hunters for added mobility.

Offline Thunder

• Student
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
Timeshadow, that warband still has 100gc to spend at the start.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
@ Timeshadow
I'd love to see a Templer, upgraded from a warhound. He will bark commands at his fellows.  lol

My "standard starting mix" so far is:
3-5 thugs or thiefs
Maybe 2 hounds
2 shooters
at least 1 hard-hitter

And depending on the magic school and bigger plan I focus on move (warhounds, tracker, etc) or damage/fight (templar, crossbow, etc)
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline LionHeart

• Student
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »

Apprentice = 200gc
Marksman = 100gc
Thief = 20gc
Warhound = 10gc

(1 x Apprentice)+(2 x Marksmam)+(4 x Thief)+(2 x Warhound) =

(200)+(2 x 100)+(4 x 20)+(2 x 10) = 200+200+80+20 = 500gc

Seems spot on to me.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »

I think you are confusing my marksmen for crossbowmen
100 x2 for marksmen
20 x4 for thieves
10 x2 for warhounds
is 300 gc

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
Though in a long campaigne I was considering getting 8 thieves to start just for pure economy so I can buy more base upgrades after the first game.

Offline Thunder

• Student
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »
You are right, I confused them for crossbowmen :)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:50:54 AM »
Dear pros, having read your opinions, I plan to build:
Wizard & Apprentice
2 hounds
3 thieves
2 archers
2 infantrymen
3 treasure hunters
2 trackers/Rangers (I won't bother too much on this difference)
2 templars
2 knights
2 marksmen

Am I missing something? I see no love for men at arms and little for vanilla crossbows, did I misread?

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »
Do not forget a zombie or two (both to summon and as a random encounter critter), a few animals, and some demons as much of the time you can summon them.