Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Making impregnable jungle terrain?  (Read 7676 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Making impregnable jungle terrain?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »
Well, the reason for this post was actually to get something similar to what Hammers picture indicate, an unbroken jungle canopy to avoid the need of making a huge quantity of individual trees. The reason behind is that I plan to take up my "Warriors of the Rainbow" project where a fair amount of jungle is required to cover the top of the cliffs in the mountain ambush scene. I am most grateful for all the response and good thoughts received!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
Yeah, the secondary jungle I was in had quite a few old trees remaining. The primary forest had trees that at 1:50 or so scale would still have a diameter of 4 or 5".

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 06:26:15 PM »
Well, the reason for this post was actually to get something similar to what Hammers picture indicate, an unbroken jungle canopy to avoid the need of making a huge quantity of individual trees. The reason behind is that I plan to take up my "Warriors of the Rainbow" project where a fair amount of jungle is required to cover the top of the cliffs in the mountain ambush scene. I am most grateful for all the response and good thoughts received!

The floodplain jungle remark was in reply to Hammers, just in case there was any confusion. In any case, that sounds like a very cool project. The film is on my to-watch list already, but I may have to bump it up in level of priority now :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »
I must issue a warning...the movie is awesome and will drag you into some serious conversion projects  ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=51247.0

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Interesting! Did you change your approach to modelling jungle? I'm just wondering as I recall seeing aquarium plants in your old Arumbaya thread.

Yes. I was never happy with the result. In fact, the original idea was a mounds of greenery solution but couldn't quite find a feasible solution.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:27:11 PM by Hammers »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:10 PM »
You could scale up this method. 
http://architectsofwar.com/Howto/forests.pdf
If you built up your supports and then "filled the empty spaces with brush that would give you some pretty realistic impassable jungle terrain.  You would just need some appropriate foliage since plain clump foliage might not look right.  Just another option. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 12:51:17 AM »
You would just need some appropriate foliage since plain clump foliage might not look right.

On that subject, I find that flock glued on top of clump (foam) foliage looks quite good, as long as one puts a little effort into first arranging the clump foliage into natural shapes. The clump foliage provides depth and an appropriately "billowing" look, while the flock adds the actual "leafy" surface texture. You can leave the undersides and the crevices of the clump foliage unflocked, if you like.

Noch makes a flock-like product called "leaf flake" which is especially good for this and many other plant-modelling techniques (it may not be available everywhere but I really do recommend tracking it down for anyone who's serious about terrain modelling in the larger scales), although I like to alternate between the various flock varieties I've collected for different trees, bushes, shrubs and thickets, so as to achieve a more varied (if perhaps somewhat naive) look. All that being said, I do also use "naked" clump foliage as a leafy/"needly" texture in the larger scales.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 08:20:31 AM »
You could scale up this method. 
http://architectsofwar.com/Howto/forests.pdf
If you built up your supports and then "filled the empty spaces with brush that would give you some pretty realistic impassable jungle terrain.  You would just need some appropriate foliage since plain clump foliage might not look right.  Just another option. 
Snitchy sends.

Great article!
This concept will be very useful. I would though like to add some structure on the flat bottom of the canopy to get some height variation. For 28mm nails will be too thin as tree trunks. What material could be a good substitute  ???

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
Great article!
This concept will be very useful. I would though like to add some structure on the flat bottom of the canopy to get some height variation. For 28mm nails will be too thin as tree trunks. What material could be a good substitute  ???

Yes, in combination with Dr Deaths homemade flock this could work.