Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690982
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Why don't they make Napoleonic movies anymore ?  (Read 8087 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: Why don't they make Napoleonic movies anymore ?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »
@ Rhoderic regarding fantasy and supers
You're right. Seen, as well. And apart from the more accidential effect that I like these genres, I am waiting for some new ideas within movie industrie as well.
For instance I like Interstellar (apart from the theatralic part near the end) and Gravity. The killer is not a monster, not an alien or mutated human, nor an ominous sphere or something ... the killer is Mrs Physics herself.

There are so many themes and even books sort of waiting to be movielized ... but ... geting astray.

Say, who's that Napoleon you mentioned??? That the guy why I have to learn tables for turning meter in yard and vice versa at school?
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »
There was a big budget Napoleonic movie last year guys. All about a guy called Napoleon. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.  ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
I liked Napoleon Dynamite but I'll readily admit that it wasn't the most accurate historical depiction and the CGI was pretty shit.  Of course it had Shondrella Avery in it so I was blinded to any of the film's minor failings.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 03:26:06 AM »
All they would know is that they weren't involved so it can't have been important :~}

Unless they could cast Samuel L Jackson as Wellington and have him beat Napoleon (probably a skinny British actor such as Cumberbatch, but as the villain he would have to have a British accent) in a fist fight outside a train station.

Or possibly the reverse, Cumberbatch as the villain Wellington aided by a scar-faced Prussian (probably with a monocle or a white cat) beaten by the hero Napoleon L Jackson who then sails off to retire in a tropical paradise where the uncivilised Europeans (who just don't understand him) can't reach him.

Jackson might not be a great fit for Arthur Wellesley, but how about Thomas-Alexandre Dumas?

The Naopleonic Wars were huge, lasting decades, and have stories enough for Hollywood if anyone wants to look. Though as some have pointed out, maybe it's better if Hollywood leaves well enough alone.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
Well it aint quite 'Napoleonic' but it's of the same general period and it is an epic. Actually it's every bit as interesting a conflict.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2387513/

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 08:09:55 PM »
There was also this movie about Toussaint L'Ouverture:

And I did like Napoleon Dynamite!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »
Edit:  lots of tongue in cheek here.

I am an American.

I am a war gamer.

I used to play (Tricolor era) Napoleonic games.

What are you selling?  

The Revoluntionary wars?  

Napoleon until he was Emperor?  

Napoleon the Emperor rising until everything fell down around his ears?  

The 100 Days?

And keep it in two hours.  How are you planning to do any of those and have a commercial success?

How about a battle or campaign?  One that would interest Hollywood?  

This would justifiably be a hard sell to a movie making business like Hollywood!   ::)

Sadly, I do not expect to see such in my life time?  Maybe the 300th anniversary of Waterloo?  Oh, wait...   :P

Seriously, I do not see Hollyweird being interested.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:32:06 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 12:01:22 AM »
Kubrick was about to make a film about Napoleon before he died (or was at least planning to).

French cinema would be your best bet for a film set during the Napoleonic wars and they have made some in the last 20 yrs.

Le Colonel Chabert (about a French cavalry officer wounded at Eylau, with Depardieu in the title role),
Monsieur N (About Napoleon on St Helena......).

Nothing recent to my knowledge though and these films have battle scenes in them, the former having an excellent cavalry charge in the snow I recall, they're not "war movies".

Be careful what you wish for, however, remember "The Patriot" and "Revolution"?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 03:41:47 AM »
Be careful what you wish for, however, remember "The Patriot" and "Revolution"?

I think most of us would rather not - even those of us fortunate enough to not have actually seen them.  lol

Online Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
Why should the American public be fascinated with European wars? Or Japanese wars? Or Chinese wars? Or African wars?

Asking Hollywood to make movies about European history is silly.

If Europeans want to see movies about European history, then Europeans would make their own movies, dont'cha think?

And they have:

Austerlitz (1960) - French
War and Peace (1967) - Russian
Waterloo (1970) - Russian/Italian

So if you want more European war movies... it's probably best to leave the "American public" out of the conversation.

Maybe they should be because some of us Europeans like to see wars about the American Civil War or the War of Independence or cowboy movies!  Surely American's aren't that disinterested in European History? I take the point but it isn't 'silly' for Hollywood to make films about  ... well anything.  However, Hollywood seem to prefer Sci-Fi and thrillers most of all these days ...

Waterloo ... 1970 ... noted .., we need to get back into gear!
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Maybe they should be because some of us Europeans...

Hey, don't get me wrong... I love the Napoleonic era, am an American and would stand in line to see some good quality movies on the era.

I just don't think it is the kind of thing that the American public is really interested in.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 02:16:11 PM »
Hey, don't get me wrong... I love the Napoleonic era, am an American and would stand in line to see some good quality movies on the era.

I just don't think it is the kind of thing that the American public is really interested in.

Sadly, Ray, I think that is exactly why European movie industry needs to get ont he stick before the 400th anniversary...

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »
By the way, there was a fictitious big-budget Hollywood Napoleon movie in "Get Shorty".

Sadly, Ray, I think that is exactly why European movie industry needs to get ont he stick before the 400th anniversary...

200 years from now? :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:09 AM »
By the way, there was a fictitious big-budget Hollywood Napoleon movie in "Get Shorty".

200 years from now? :)

Okay, maybe a bit pessimistic...  ;)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »
The recent BBC adaptation of 'War & Peace' had some excellent battle scenes.
Austerlitz and Borodino and the retreat from Moscow (and another small battle before Austerlitz).