Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Afghan Adobe Buildings  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Afghan Adobe Buildings
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
I built some adobe buildings about 12 years ago- simple little boxes made from foam card. I used a mixture of DAS air drying putty and PVA glue to make a sticky putty to make the nice rounded edges at the top of the walls. These little boxes served me well for many years, but ended up being chucked in a box in the loft. When Alcal said that he fancied doing Soviet-Afghan war I began looking on line for adobe building and was shocked at the cost of them. I kept thinking I know I can make them better than that for less because I made those little boxes years ago and they looked OK. I dug out my old buildings, and decided to revamp them, and make them into compounds suitable to me used for Afghanistan or similar locations.
I used based from Warbases, and gave them new doors, adobe walls, and added match stick beams sticking out of the walls. The biggest building got a new staircase to provide some roof top access too. I used floor grout (the grey stuff) to fill in the gaps and plaster to add a bit of texture to the blue foam. the floor grout is useful as it is very gritty and adds a nice coarse texture too.

I still need to finish the walls, build gates, add sand and grit to the base and paint them. I will be going for a more realistic colour scheme than my old one.  

When these are finished I plan on making a larger complex with lift off roofs and internal access. I have previously made buildings with lift off roofs but have always found painting and decorating the interior difficult. My plan for the big complex is to paint the interiors before I assemble the building. That is going to take a bit more planning.

Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Afghan Adobe Buildings
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »
Looking good!! :)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
Those look really nice.  :)  Will you be using the same method for the new building with the removable roof as you did many years ago for these?

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
No, I will be building them entirely from blue foam as an experiment. As I will need space to get my hands in I will be making them larger too. The only problem is that I am beginning to think they will not scale well with my older buildings (which will look tiny in comparison). Therefore I might not be able to use them both together on the same battlefield. I might save the larger ones with the internal rooms for small skirmish games like Black Ops, when room to room fighting is what is needed.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
They look promising  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »
Great start or rather a continuation with those buildings  8)

I wouldn't worry too much about slight size difference between new and old buildings if they have similar wall textures and paintjob they should mix nicely together... the local authorities might not be that strict about house building policies ;)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:34 AM »
If you make the larger buildings look more like collections of offset boxes rather than having big straight walls, that could help balance them out with the look of the older buildings.  :) It would make building them a way bigger
PITA though.  lol

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »
Here are a few shots of my first two completed models.

And here is the big compound which as so far only had an undercoat- I think it is quite satisfying to see the whole structure one colour as it helps show what it might look like when it is finished.

My first big compound went in the bin- It looked too tall, too boxy and it the rooms were too small to get my chubby fingers in to move the figures about. I might go with Hupp n at em's suggestion of using a series of smaller interconnected buildings rather than one big building.
In the mean time I have remembered that I also bought some prepainted Adobe buildings on ebay a while ago and dug them out to see if the were usable. They are the same hight as my little boxes and a little bit larger. They are made of MDF and textured bumpy paint. I used a craft knife to trim the edges to round them off a bit. I am hoping that my paint scheme will cover up the fact that they have a different surface texture- after all not all mud brick houses look the same. I am going to swap the door on this building to more closely match my others as I really don't like this one.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »
Hey Rob, looking good 8) 8)

If your worried about the mdf texture paint, just coat it with your das putty solution, that will round the corners more too!

I see no issue at all with your different buildings though, the old ones look fine next to the new ones.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
Very good  :)

cheers

James

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 10:24:06 PM »
 8) Those look just the part. These kinds of buildings are relatively simple but great fun to build none the less.  8)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:15:08 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
I have done a bit more work on my village, finishing my two larger complexes. The larger building with the lift off roof was bought on ebay and tweaked a bit- I shaved the corners to soften the edges and added a new front door- the old front door was reused inside.

The carpets were just taken from the internet, resized in Word and cut out. It was an after thought but I think it looks nice. 

Next up- A mosque, some shops or a small markeyt, and perhaps a few bomb damaged houses.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
Great work and splendid idea with the carpets. Will be shamelessly stolen when I get to build some similar type of buildings :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
That's some cracking wee pieces. Love the carpets! 8)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
Very good ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing