Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685051
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New to Strange Aeons  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Skunk

• Student
New to Strange Aeons
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new to this awesome game (I ordered the rulebook/PDF two nights ago). I was painting some models and I had YouTube on in the background and a Geek & Sundry Vlog started playing. It was Teri Litorco's 5 reasons to play Strange Aeons. I was sold on the game, then I checked out the demo packet, ate it up and immediately bought the rulebook.

I just have one question: How many zombies could I reasonably field? I have 120 Mantic zombies in my warhammer vampire counts that are getting lonely since AoS came out.

I am the mayor of candy.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: New to Strange Aeons
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:12:19 PM »
It will be hard to field that many...but, realistically, 5-15 should be plenty for most of your purposes. You should be fine with what you have! ;)

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
There is one scenero called "The Problem with Dead Things" on page 153. I only have 3 zombies, and this is "the zombie scenario." I ended up using a few models as "counts as".

This  is the only time my model collection has been insufficient, and at a 29 point list (a decent sized game) I was using a Mummy (8), Spectre (3), x9 Zombies (18). It ended in a really close match thanks to the zombie recycle rule- but it would have been a better game if I had chosen to go a little more zombie light. I would never field more than 5-6 as a practical rule.

Perhaps taking them in a mob makes them more effective? (No real experience with mob rule.)

Edit- Re thought response- Strange Aeons is so good because it can wear so many hats. (x-com, X-Files, Hastur, Cthulhu, Lovecraft, Night of the living dead) This isn't a "Zombie Thriller", this is a Cosmic Horror kinda game- and you do yourself a disservice if you don't explore all the little facets the game has to offer. Ghouls work fine as zombies in a pinch, and without a proper command structure it's hard to control so many models. A diverse collection has been very rewarding in my gaming.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:24:41 PM by WallyTWest »

Offline Skunk

• Student
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:20 PM »
OK I'll put together a small batch of zambies, and rebase one of my tomb king mummies. Does it say anywhere in the rulebook that when I'm putting together a lurker list I'm restricted to a single class of lurker?

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
That information will be in the sceneros. Many times you are limited to humans or humanoids, but others focus on map peices.

There are the core scenerios you will roll off for, and then the extended map peice required scenerios that have more specific aliens.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
In my experience 29 points is a BIG game. It's not often that a Threshold list survives long enough to get to that size. With the new rules for promotion however it does happen more often. In fact, my current list is actually led by an agent who got promoted after the leader died. They struggled for a while around the 10~12 mark.

In terms of zombies, short of setting up mobs I'd say fielding more than 8 in a regular game wouldn't happen very often, as you still need someone to lead them.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »
In my experience 29 points is a BIG game. It's not often that a Threshold list survives long enough to get to that size. With the new rules for promotion however it does happen more often. In fact, my current list is actually led by an agent who got promoted after the leader died. They struggled for a while around the 10~12 mark.

In terms of zombies, short of setting up mobs I'd say fielding more than 8 in a regular game wouldn't happen very often, as you still need someone to lead them.

Perhaps I use them more than most but I use mobs quite a bit in larger games with critters like this (esp for re-animaged limbs and the zombie dogs that are even cheaper).  But, a mob of zombies costs 14pts by itself and you have quite a few options for 15pts of lurker(s).  A mob of re-animated limbs is only 6 1/2 points however.  So, buy lots of zombies...and hack up half of them (like I did  :D ).

I look toward mobs whenever I have a list with more than 3-4 peons per leader.  Otherwise, it seems I end up with figures that either do not move, or don't get to move until someone else dies.  I cannot think of a game where I had 5 figures of the same type I did *not* mob up, nor one where I only took 4 of a single type.  The command skill (only available via the models that have it in their profile) is just too expensive to just stock up on leaders for most lurker lists IMO.  That is where mobs come in and they seem so "Lovecraftian" as well.  :-*

Scott
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:41:42 PM by Grumbling Grognard »
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Skunk

• Student
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »
How are ancient warriors? How many do you normally take in a list? I've got a few nicely painted warhammer tomb guard and grave guard that I wouldn't mind rebasing for this game.

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
How are ancient warriors? How many do you normally take in a list? I've got a few nicely painted warhammer tomb guard and grave guard that I wouldn't mind rebasing for this game.

I have not been playing for long, but I have yet to take more than 1.  I have not added any weapons either as they seem fine as they come.

They are pretty tough melee monsters.  When backed up by zombies and the like they are pretty harsh.  They make great body gaurds for witches and the like too.

Scott

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
In my experience 29 points is a BIG game. It's not often that a Threshold list survives long enough to get to that size.....

Yes, it's the second largest game I have ever played. (32 Points being the biggest)

The gentleman in question is a 22 year old- and his war and despite some losses has been "very lucky" with casualties and mission selection despite some big losses... But when someone cheats in strange aeons, it's the monsters whom get the perks- Unlike mordheim or blood bowl where you struggle to catch up/survive the game...

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
A formless thing might be just the thing...