Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690914
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starting a School Club  (Read 4005 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Starting a School Club
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 10:47:47 PM »
We've just spent a couple of weeks building half-timbered houses out of foamcore and coffee-stirrers.
So a fairly easy project might be a good way to get them started.

Last year we spent several weeks (seemed like a whole term at the time) working on pirate ships using a slightly modified version of the Gary Chalk ship plans, modified because we used foamcore (no budget for balsa), but all seemed to enjoy it and we now have a huge flotilla of ships in various shapes and sizes.

Might be worth doing a google search for the Gary Chalk plans to save yourself some of the work...
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 12:02:44 AM »
I found some old foam core I'd cut for timbered houses so that was part of my plans for terrain....and making rivers and roads...maybe some Styrofoam hills...enough for a "basic" layout....

11 students doing one building, river section and road each is a lot of stuff...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Bit of an update.

Had 2 sessions this week. Was only going for once per week but they enjoyed it so much that they asked for seconds.

8 of the 11 who signed up have come out. But 2 more students are "lurking" so might join to bolster my numbers. All participants are female which is interesting as I'm not THAT handsome...

We are building rivers and medieval cottages at the moment. Started with terrain while we wait for our miniature order to arrive.

We also received donations from Reaper Miniatures (1x 25 person Paint and Take Kit) and Mantic Games (15 Elven bowmen) so THANK YOU to them as well. A local Charity has also sponsored us to buy figures and supplies to make and paint terrain. The art room staff have generously let us use they classrooms and any supplies they have on hand.

So far so good. Building still in the infancy ( foam core glued together but once some detailing is added I'll post some pictures

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:16 AM »
1) Lesson Plans - I plan on running 6-8 lessons based on an introduction, assembly/basing/priming, how to paint: fur; bone; skin; cloth; and metal.
Each student will receive 1 miniature per lesson relating to the lesson. So fur = humanoid animal, bone = skeleton, skin = berserker, cloth = mage and metal = knight.
For the fur lesson, I will teach (d'uh) how to paint fur but the students won't paint any metal bone or cloth until those workshops. At the end there will be 1-2 free workshops where the students can finish their incomplete miniatures.
Are there any other areas I should devote an entire workshop to? ie. wood, gemstones etc?
Does this layout make sense or is there a better way?

Can I come? lol

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
Can I come? lol

My dad asked to participate  lol lol

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »
Basing, check!

The high school is in a lower income "at risk" area. I'll put out some feelers regarding unwanted miniatures but I 'm dubious that anyone will respond.

There is a charity I have worked with that provides money to fund sports, arts and music programs. They currently fund a ball hockey program I oversee, and have done so for many years.

Painting larger plastic toy soldiers might be a good way to proceed if the funding doesn't come through.

Contact me as I have to reduce the 25+mm figures pile. 
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
Basing, check!

The high school is in a lower income "at risk" area. I'll put out some feelers regarding unwanted miniatures but I 'm dubious that anyone will respond.

There is a charity I have worked with that provides money to fund sports, arts and music programs. They currently fund a ball hockey program I oversee, and have done so for many years.

Painting larger plastic toy soldiers might be a good way to proceed if the funding doesn't come through.

There's always Zvezda models. They're not the best but they're cheap as chips and you get plenty of them.