Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: yellow king question for uncle mike  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Cultist Steve

• Assistant
yellow king question for uncle mike
« on: January 18, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
so I read the scenario that had stats for Yellow King
YEAHHHHHHH
but it has no point cost for him
Boooooooo!!

if I wanted to use the yellow king (and i do) outside that scenario
what would be his BP?

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
Re: yellow king question for uncle mike
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »
I do not believe there is a way to get the King In Yellow without buying the plot point and enacting the entire play.  IMHO, that is kinda the entire point.   ;)

If you want a proxy, I would just suggest a cultist with a few skills in close combat.  Then add "fluff" to taste.
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
G.G. has it correct. There is no point cost for 'The King' because you can't simply buy him for a game. You gotta sacrifice those cultist to get him!  :)

Offline Cultist Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:39:03 PM »
thank you for answering.
very new to the game, still learning how things work.
i was hoping to use the stats for one off games at cons ..... guess i could use god spawns instead.

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
thank you for answering.
very new to the game, still learning how things work.
i was hoping to use the stats for one off games at cons ..... guess i could use god spawns instead.

Ah, well, I am doing Strange Aeons at our con here in DFW this year.  I very, very much plan on using the King in Yellow (or "Yellar" as we say down here).

I will be running 6 or 8 players through, 3-4 match ups with 3-games each.  The time slots are 4-hours so with pre-generated lists and scenarios as well as terrain placement and rules explainations, I think this will work well.  

This is a convention.  People want to toss dice and play.  Plus, that way I have more time to actually talk real rules they need to know before the game so that everyone can enjoy all 3 games and not just the last one when the start to figure it out for real.  

The first game is a 15 pt game.  The second game is ~25pts.  The last game will be ~50pts and in this one the Threshold player's characters are starting to "age" a bit so they have a few nicks and cuts from the previous "major injuries" they have suffered...   ;)

The King In Yellow is center stage for one of the final games.  The Living Idol the star in another climatic battle.  The third game will be a Damned Alter.  My 4th climatic match-up (if I do that many games) will most likely be one in The Devil's Hopyard.

The plot points and the like are too good not to use at a con!  :-*

I figure in this way, everybody gets to have a real "big one" at the end of a 3-game set.

Now, if you figure a good, clean, simple way to make this a multi-player game I am all ears.   ???

Scott
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:18:54 AM by Grumbling Grognard »

Offline scouts19508

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:17:56 PM »
GG,

What are you doing to determine in what order players activate in? Curious because I'm going to try a 6-8 player game at my game club and I haven't figured out what I want to do. Also how many figures per player?

Thanks
jim

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
GG,

What are you doing to determine in what order players activate in? Curious because I'm going to try a 6-8 player game at my game club and I haven't figured out what I want to do. Also how many figures per player?

Thanks
jim

Jim,  I think you mis-understand me.  I have *not* figured out a good way to run Uncle Mike's great game multi-player.  It can be done (I have thought about it), but IMHO, it loses much of the flavor of the game.  Strange Aeons (at least to me) is a very intimate game.  Small table, few but very important figures (at least in each battle!), etc...  AND, it is two player.  Face-to-face and up personal.  I kinda like it that way and want to present it that way as well.

So, instead of trying to force it into multiplayer I am doing it as 3-4 separate *pairings of players*.  Then, I will run them through the 3 games.  I have not decided how we will determin sides, or if they will switch.  Most likely, I will let the players in each game decide for themselves.  Keep it simple for me.   ;)

So, if you come up with the perfect solution to making go multiplayer let me know, but I did not like anything I came up with...  For the record, my "best idea" was to simply use two teams and allow each player to activate one figure per turn.  meh...   Like I said, I did not like any of the multiplayer ideas I came up with...but we digress. :-X

Scott

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 01:30:07 AM »
When will the king in yellow be avaible for purchase?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:15 AM »
That will be a while away yet. No firm dates but I'm pretty sure I have one or two floating around the shop...could be persuaded to trade for, say, a not-Chris-Lee figure... ;)

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:58 AM »
I happen to have an extra Christopher Lee vampire miniature... If that's an offer I'll take you up on that!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
Deal!  :) I;m down at the Sentry Box this Sunday and the next. I'll be sure to have one on my person.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »
Alas Mike, I live in Massachusetts next to the supposed location of Innsmouth... PM your address and I will send it to you.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »
I thought you were in Calgary...am I crazy?

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 09:21:47 PM »
Do you really need to ask?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »
Ha!