Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Roads?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Roads?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
I know, i know. I'm a terrain snob and i'm lucky enough to have the storage space.
Actually, any terrain can look good with a bit of thought and a little bit of set dressing to conceal the worst of the joins.
But like so much in wargaming, it just comes down to whether someone wants to make their games look really good, or are happy enough with just a general representation and aren't too fussed about the fact that it just looks like a load of random bits and pieces.
Different strokes, same as usual...

Wonky, unconnected strips of rubber road and squares of doormat posing as realistic fields just happen to be my personal terrain bugbears...  :-X

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
Wonky, unconnected strips of rubber road and squares of doormat posing as realistic fields just happen to be my personal terrain bugbears...  :-X

Well it's an aspirational thing isn't it? Start with paper or card, build up to felt, onwards and upwards. I've only just sussed a great way of doing road sections for 6mm in the last month, they'll be my best yet.

I know what you mean though, I spend ages in a game realigning this or that.

The best 6mil game I've ever seen was the Maidstone Club's Pegasus Bridge...

from:http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/mws/ShowGames/Pegasus/index.html

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
Yes, I've seen that a couple of times at shows. A gorgeous piece of terrain modelling  :-*

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »
Well, to get back to the idea of "cobblestone" roads, don't know if the scale works for you but check for Lemax Xmas village roads after the holiday (or before in case they sell out).  The red are brick, the brown can pass as cobblestone.  They also sell 18" x 36" sheets of each.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 10:08:27 PM »
Well my new road stock came this weekend. I went for EWM stuff in the end. I like it.
 Started painting it as soon as it arrived - looks good IMHO. I've gone for the dusty look.

Did a 'how I' on my blog, mainly as an aide memoir for later purchases for anyone interested.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/a-long-dusty-road.html

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:23 AM »
Excellent tutorial.  I saw some of these on a friend's wargaming table and resolved to buy some but now I have some added impetous to actually order them.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »
And, I've just done a layout with them. The way I no longer have to plan around a hill, I'm a complete convert to 'up and over' latex roads.

I love 'em.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 11:01:49 PM »
Those look nice and your table is great. The shading on the mat improves it and you did a good job of disguising those doormat cornfields.  :)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 12:44:50 AM »
Seeing suggestions of latex concerns me does it not rot away? Agree about the gaps in road sections they tend to always show up badly. Most tables are relatively small so if a road is flexible it should then be one piece. The question really is what material. I have used bandage which was dyed with some bits of flock etc. that had looked surprisingly good and was very flexible but still looking for other options. Bandage and be a quick fix for when you need a road in a hurry too, paint up and dry very quickly too.