Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back of Beyond Bibliography?  (Read 67269 times)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
Re: Back of Beyond Bibliography?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 02:40:25 AM »
Ian Heath "Armies of the Nineteennth Centry: Asia. 1: Central Asia and the Himalayan kingdoms". A Foundry Books Publikation.

John  Bradley "Civil War in Russia. 1917-1920". B.T.Batsford Ltd

Edmund Ironside "Archangel 1918-1919". Constable and Company Ltd.

Ludovic-H. Grondijs "La guerre en Russie et en Siberie". Edition Bossard. 1922. (in the French language)

Marina Grey et Jean Bourdier "Les armees blanches". Editions Stock. 1968. (in the French language)

C.H. Ellis "The British "Intervention" in Transcaspia 1918-1919". University of California Press. 1963.

Carl W. Ackerman "Trailing the Bolsheviki : twelve thousand miles with the allies in Siberia". New York, Charles Scribner`s Sons. 1919. www.archive.org/details/trailingbolshevi00ackeuoft

Joseph Kessel "Les Temps Sauvages". I have only the Russian translation of the book. Book a French pilot about the war in the Russian Far East.

William S. Graves "America's Siberian Adventure: 1918-1920" http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Siberian-Adventure-William-Graves/dp/0844612057
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:52:04 AM by cuprum »

Offline darrowind

• Schoolboy
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
Well, the best I've seen is Jonathan Smele The Russian Revolution and Civil War 1917-1921: An Annotated Bibliography, just because it is a bibliography. I have a paperback, but it is free in the net (of course, if you don't mind using pirated books).

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
I hope it's OK to point to items I've got for sale, but these might be of interest (even if mainly C19th)

The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia, Hopkirk, Peter

Josiah the Great: The True Story of The Man Who Would Be King, Macintyre, Ben

Victoria's Subjects Traveled: An Anthology From the Works of Explorers and Travellers Between the Years 1850-1900, van Thal, Herbert

Shooting Leave: Spying out Central Asia in the Great Game, Ure, Sir John

Mission to Tashkent, Bailey, Frederick M

available in my History of Exploration list

Edwin
Diplomatist Books

Offline SaltBrushBill

• Student
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 09:17:16 AM »
I am going down to the museum of the Royal Hampshire Regiment at the end of this month to look into that regiment's involvement in both Dunsterforce (very much BoB I would have thought) and the anti-Bolshevik operations around Archangel.   The regimental diaries should be interesting and I hope they also have some photographs.

While on holiday I bought in a charity shop "The Day We Almost Bombed Moscow" by Christopher Dobson and John Miller, which looks interesting but not yet read.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »
I believe that the Hampshires were also involved in the Transcaspian episode. was there any info about that do you recall?

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
This sticky seems to have been quiet for a very long time, so here is a recommendation which may bring it back to life.

"Gone to Russia to Fight - The RAF in South Russia 1918- 1920" by John T Smith.  I got my copy on Kindle for less than £8, so am not sure if the paper version is in print.

Well worth a read, as it covers squadron operations by month, with extracts from squadron diaries, personal logs and participants' own accounts.  It is giving me a new appreciation for the DH9 and also has details of what the tanks were getting up to, including a British crewed Mark V involved in the White attack on Tsaritsin (i.e. Stalingrad), which was news to me.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
It doesn't seem to get a NEW flag though (or is it just me?), so perhaps no one will even notice that I tried  :'(

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2018, 01:11:31 AM »
On the Miniatures Adventure main page it showed up as the most recently added to but no idea if it had a new tag. It should.

The book sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
Just received my copy of "With the Persian Expedition" via Amazon, thanks to a heads up on the BoB Facebook group.  Written by Maj. M Donohoe, who was a war correspondent at the start of the Great War, before volunteering to do his bit and becoming an intelligence officer with Dunsterforce. 

Only a quick skim so far, but very impressed with what I have seen and looking forward to getting stuck in (which will be as soon as I have finished reading Ronald Sinclair's (aka Reginald Teague-Jones) "Adventures in Persia" and the Derek Robinson novel "A Splendid Little War", which is a fictionalised story of RAF support for the AFSR).