Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: rare images about Garibaldi Campaign in the South  (Read 2091 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
rare images about Garibaldi Campaign in the South
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:36:27 AM »
Many years ago i found an old issue of an Italian magazine (of 1960) with an article about Garibaldi's Conquest of Sicily (well known to British public also thanks to participation of British volunteers and by the famous book by Trevelyan). The main (only) great interest of this article, as author said, was the discovering for the first time after about a hundred of years of sketck/scrap book in a family cellar made on the field by a talented reporter/artist and volunteer of Garibaldi Army..the young Red Shirt
Giuseppe Nodari who began his adventure as Corporal at the landing at Marsala endind as ADC at the Battle of Volturno. I found a  few of those picts in an old book by Abba..but the others, most interesting ones, published only by the above mentioned magazine and now rare to find magazine bought by me during my school time.. had been waiting in my files to be restaured (roughly), selected and scanned from about 30 years.
They are, in my humble opinion of a poor wargamer, quite interesting for the historical and uniform details that i will explain as captions of the picts....maybe the could be useful to paint your minis and be appreciated by Ged of Gringo Miniatures who is making a great work of passion...feel free to ask me any detail about picts
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:00:01 AM by italwars »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: rare images about Garibaldi Campaign in the South
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:45:58 AM »
i'm doing some attempt to post picts..which i barely succeed  only thank to the patient and kind explication for amir but i'm still not able to post more than one in a single postings
departure from Quarto and Landing at Marsala..then march to Calatafimi..the battlefield..and the attack from Red Shirts..the defence of Cacciatori wth the famous episode of the capture of the Garibaldini Flag by, as describred by Abba, a big red haired (a swiss, Bavarian or Austrain mercenaire?) Cacciatori Sergeant who was later decorated by the King...this famous flag was called "Of Valpairaiso" and donated by Italian women of families emigrated in Chile ...i recall to have read on a Modelling magazine from the Seventies that this flag, whose picts i saw on the magazine, had, for the first time been secretely shown to the author by the  family whose ancestor was a menber of the Bourbon Court's retinue who "saved" the flag.. but they did not want to let know their name because they were afraid that for a "raison d'Etat" this precious item could be confiscated and ending languishing in an Italian museum where nobody care about..(and i'm sure they where right in thinking so)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:09:43 AM by italwars »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:55:30 AM »
well..it seem to work...and sorry for the confusion i made about the order of appearance of the picts..but the picts already posted you could see the battlefield of Calatafimi in which the small but decisive battle took place...it was a sequel of short rushes from Garibaldini volunteers up to those famous "balze"..literally "flounces" that offered some advantage to the defendinf Neapolitans infantrymen ..but, at the same time, allowed a minimal ammount of cover to the Garibaldini was the reache the base of each balsa and prepare, spurred, by Bixio mounted on his horse or Garibaldi waving his sword, to the next push...other images related the advance to Palermo and the fights to the the Admiral Bridge, from the pictoresque Baroque roofs and trough barricades as depicted by this splendid moovie by Luchino Visconti "Il Gattopardo" that probably has been seen by many also outside Italy...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:12:26 AM by italwars »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:20:40 AM »
another one about the approach to the Calatafimi battlefield and, finally, the self portrait of the author of the drawings, Nodari, ..his very unique uniform of the Garibaldini Artillery..influenced by the French one..as, as youg student, he participated at the battle of Solferino following a French battery..is the one he sported with typical panache of the time at the Battle of Volturno where he served as an ADC..

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:43:48 AM »
from another old magazine...some exhausted Red Shirts under the sun of Sicily together to a more accostumed Picciotti sporting his homemade goat/sheep 's coat and foot wears typical of Southern and Central Italy..called here in Latium "Ciocie"  and similar to Spanish espadrillas...in quite a few picts they appear also on the feet of Pontifical Zouaves...on the back of the pict a more "citizen" volunteer probably a liberal volunteer intellectual with no military experience certainly not at easy in the battlefield with his bourgeois  type dress more indicated to have a chat in a Turin elegant caffè than in  the bare land and trough mimosa scrubs of Sicily...

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:25:45 AM »
Thanks a lot.  :)

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »
Superb images Italwars some I have not seen    :o :o :o :o :o :

best regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

may be better to add more to my thread..if that's ok with you
all your inspirational picures and wordage greatly appreciated

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
Great images, thanks for sharing

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
Loved the paddle steamer, excellent images!!