Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I'm a hobby squirrel and it's costing me money. UPDATED p2 - thoughts.  (Read 5652 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
I like to stick with a project, but then squirrel and get distracted. I pick up whatever strikes my fancy, but then ...

I realize I like one or two things at heart and start the sell off, happily at half price usually just to refocus.

Does LAF offer electroshock therapy to cure me?

(I'm just about to have a sell off...)

EDIT: I only thought it was costing me money; see http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=86414.msg1068926#msg1068926
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:01:07 AM by grant »
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: I'm a hobby squirrel and it's costing me money.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
I feel the same way.  There are too many cool movies / comics out there.  I've got a couple things I'm looking to refocus or unload.  Here is my list:

28mm Pulp/Strange Aeons - I have too much terrain and miniatures
A million plastic WOTC Star Wars
20mm Ninja turtles

Lately I am on a 15mm sci fi kick.  I also have a 10mm Heroquest board I have almost finished.

Perhaps we could set up a link to trade with other LAF members?

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:39:35 PM »
Technically it only costs you 50%.   :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »
I do the same, though I'm getting better at it.  I've found the trick is...when I  buy something new and random, I let it sit for a couple of weeks.  If you're going to sell something off, it's better unopened or unabused/started/painted/assembled.  I've got some 30K stuff sitting in purgatory at the moment.

I make excuses for the following:

1) Wargames rules.  I design games and I'm always looking to see how people do stuff.  It freshens the mind and I might have a friend who runs stuff like it, so I can read up on rules.
2) KS.  I've been pretty fortunate so far with KS and I don't mind selling one off for what I paid or a bit more if it doesn't seem cool when I get it.
3) Things which are on crazy sale and for which I've planned to eventually do a project on.

I do have a couple of solid projects which are locked down, and nearly complete...but I do have too many small batches of random stuff on the side. :?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
Technically it only costs you 50%.   :D

Says my number one buyer with horns on his head.  lol

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »
 I too jump from one new thing to the next and have done so for Years.Just like any addiction i suppose ;).

Latest new things for me are The Gates of Antares and Golem Arcana.The one before these was Spartan games Planetfall.

Things just seem too good not to have.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »
I like to stick with a project, but then squirrel and get distracted. I pick up whatever strikes my fancy, but then ...

I realize I like one or two things at heart and start the sell off, happily at half price usually just to refocus.

Does LAF offer electroshock therapy to cure me?

(I'm just about to have a sell off...)

If anything, LAF worsens the symptoms  lol
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »
If anything, LAF worsens the symptoms  lol

lol This is so true. Without LAF I would have kept so much money in my pocket  lol

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »
So true!

I used to be into only 6mm GHQ until I found LAF ...

ps - expect my clear out to start tonight or tomorrow.

The unfortunate part is the shame that comes with buying this stuff, it sits, then I look at it and wonder why I even bought it. So stupid. So ... stupid.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:43:57 PM by grant »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
I've actually gotten a lot better; I still spend a lot of money but in a more focused way. A successful tool I've used in the past 6 months or so is to look at a potential purchase in comparison to what I already have and what I want to use the new items for.

For example, I really like that tanker that's popped up from TTCombat, and there are several items I'd like to add to it to do a really nice themed table for Batman Miniature Game focused around Penguin. However, I don't currently own any miniatures for the Penguin crew and won't likely purchase them until late this year. Putting through that process stopped me from buying them now, and refocused me on the project I'm currently working at.

It won't work for everyone, but it works for me!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:32 PM »
Grant, I feel your pain. I've developed a reputation as a wargames butterfly after all my buying, selling and buying again antics. I'm in a selling phase now, and I'm also collecting the next project, which I swear is the perfect project for me, and I'll paint and play and collect and blog., I swear!.. While actually I'll get bored and move on to the next 'perfect' project...

Ah, well. I can't seem to break the cycle. Maybe this time...

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »
Same here. I just finished my semi-final sell off (still have a set of Kasrkin, which will be my final sell off), and am now focusing on a handful of projects.

Having kids definitely cures the squirrel part. I just don't have time or room to get back into new projects the same way.

... though I did buy a Playstation 3 two days ago. Another big mistake.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 10:59:15 PM »
I have an Xbox that I do nothing with. It's an inconvenient blue ray player. Might sell it too.

Two things:

1. I need to not buy any more stuff, no matter what.
2. I need to start project, consistently work at it, and then game with the finished project to enjoy it. I don't usually do that.

Also, I'm having a hard time deciding to sell. I think my stuff I could flog for $500-600 - so well worth it, but would it kill me not to sell it and just keep it on a shelf until it strikes my fancy again? I don't think so. Maybe that's the solution. 

Odd.

Offline Blackbottle

• Lurker
  • Scribe servitor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 02:05:13 AM »
I have a similar problem, though lately I've managed to keep my magpie habit contained to two games.  :)

The bulk of my figure collection is split between WH40K and my Black Powder project, but I've got some micro-armor and 15mm sci-fi stuff leftover from past purchases.

This year I'm trying to work on the Black Powder stuff before I buy anything else.
Step 1. Declare your targets.
Step 2. Roll perfectly on your Shooting just to watch the enemy Foot troop pass all of his Morale saves.
Step 3. Jazz hands!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 06:45:31 AM »
I have similar issues, but always sit on the stuff instead of selling. I'd sold two models some 19 years ago, and still regret it!
My main problem is storage, and this year I'm trying not to buy more stuff, except for really exceptional, unusual or sought after stuff, and then in small numbers (max 10) and not a whole pile. So far I've been unlucky/lucky in that two such instances came up - one with models which I'd been after for ages, the other with models which fit the bill for so many areas, and are so unusual, that they're a must - and they also fit in with my stuff, so it's not a new theme or anything. And I also managed to keep the purchases down to 6 and 5 models respectively - not too bad I guess. And they're foot troops, so storage in this case is no big deal.