Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690733
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DR Caster unit question  (Read 1037 times)

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
DR Caster unit question
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:33:48 PM »
A Dragon Rampant question as I plow through the wonderful rule book.

The page 43 section on Magic Users (and Clerics) allows the option of attaching a Spell Caster with a unit to make the mage less brittle (ie he is the last ro be removed).

Maybe I couldn't find it, but what I missed was how to use this mixed Caster-fighter unit in terms of activations. Units generally may only take 1 action per turn but could the Mage cast a spell in the same turn that his attached unit was also given an order?

For example, could the Caster use Sharper Blades and then have the attached Foot unit be ordered to attack?

There are 2 ways this could be resolved:
1. A mixed unit is only allowed to one Order test per turn, either Magic or regular. That, frankly, seems rather dull and weakens the options of the Caster (particularly if his unit is isolated.)

2. A mixed unit is allowed to test for both the Caster and regular unit. Given the consequences for a failed test generally end your Activation Phase, this doesn't seem unreasonable.

How have you addressed this issue?
- GCrab
Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: DR Caster unit question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »
The whole unit becomes the Spellcaster - remember, it could be a single-model unit, or a group of wizards, or a wizard and his guards, or whatever.  It's not really a "mixed unit", but a unit with the Spellcaster upgrade. So that unit just has one action per turn, like any other. There's no difference, in game terms, between six heavily armoured sorcerers and one sorcerer with five heavily armoured guards: both could be Elite Foot + Spellcaster.

Spellcasters are pretty powerful in the game as it is; if they could, potentially, have two actions a turn, they'd be a bit overpowered!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:18 PM »
GCrab.  I wondered the same thing.  So far I have allowed the spellcaster to be a separate activation from the unit. Spells that can be cast on "Self" become a little pointless if the unit can't then move, such as "Sharper Blades" or "Stronger Shields".  I doubt someone would voluntarily charge a unit which has just had Sharper Blades cast on itself; but a unit casting the spell and then charging seems to make sense.
The only problems with this is that a unit with spell caster could cast and move, whereas the poor spellcaster as a single figure would only get one activation.
Likewise, there is little point in being able to cast power bolt if the unit can also shoot with bows if you only have a single activation.  Here the problem with a separate activation is a unit could zap you with a power bolt and then shoot you - that seems too much fire power in one unit.  

I suspect the spirit of the rules is a unit is a unit, regardless of the upgrades and therefore you must choose between a spell or a normal activation.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:02:03 PM »
^Yep.  This.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:32 PM »
Top of page 45 - spells are cast as ordered activations - can't get much clearer than that. Casting on self makes sense from a defensive point of view ie if you think you might be attacked in your opponent's turn.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:23:41 PM »
GCrab.  I wondered the same thing.  So far I have allowed the spellcaster to be a separate activation from the unit. Spells that can be cast on "Self" become a little pointless if the unit can't then move, such as "Sharper Blades" or "Stronger Shields".  I doubt someone would voluntarily charge a unit which has just had Sharper Blades cast on itself; but a unit casting the spell and then charging seems to make sense.

Isn't the deterrent effect exactly the point? Say there's a Balrog that wants to cross this bridge with a single-model unit of Elite Foot with the Spellcaster upgrade on it ...  ;) And given how scenario-driven LR/DR is, that deterrent effect could be hugely important. If you want to block the way while your cohorts carry off the Sacred Mole of Ukkert, a Spellcaster unit of Elite Foot with Sharper Blades is a tremendously attractive proposition!

Also, remember Wild Charge: sometimes the charging isn't voluntary! We had a recent game where a ratman Light Foot unit with Wizardling cast Stronger Shields while defending higher ground against a pack of orcish Bellicose Foot. The ratmen proved pretty much invulnerable as a result. In retrospect, they might have used Sharper Blades to cut the orcs to pieces even more quickly, give the armour advantage afforded by the higher ground and their shield wall.

The only problems with this is that a unit with spell caster could cast and move, whereas the poor spellcaster as a single figure would only get one activation.

I think the point here is that a Spellcaster unit is a Spellcaster whether it's one wizard, one wizard plus familiars or guards, or a whole troop of wizards; they all act in exactly the same way (with one action per unit).

Likewise, there is little point in being able to cast power bolt if the unit can also shoot with bows if you only have a single activation.  Here the problem with a separate activation is a unit could zap you with a power bolt and then shoot you - that seems too much fire power in one unit.

Yup. If you have a missile unit, you're probably better going for Wizardling and not adding Power Bolt, I'd have thought.

I suspect the spirit of the rules is a unit is a unit, regardless of the upgrades and therefore you must choose between a spell or a normal activation.

Yes - spirit and letter, I think: "Spells are cast as Ordered Activations (just like an Attack, Move, or Shoot action)".

In the games I've played, Spellcasters have been well worth their extra points without getting the chance of an extra action into the bargain!