Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690638
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Test of Honour 09/05/17  (Read 21414 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Cheetors Frostgrave: Shonen Knives 3 Ronin 15/02/16
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 12:47:18 PM »
I am dead set on making my frostgrave warband japanese-themed now, and have already got to work. Good thing I had those minis around, or I'd have run off and bought a ton more stuff.
But I will have to get some of the Oriental Heroes stuff that Foundry reissued.
I've already painted my first guy, but I'll wait with posting pictures 'til I can get my hands on a proper camera again.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the wizard/apprentice - It's hard to find good japanese fantasy miniatures. I've settled for some Clan Wars stuff, which I am trading for at the moment.

Sorry for the blurb, I get excited by cool hobby  :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:49:58 PM by affun »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:29 PM »
I am dead set on making my frostgrave warband japanese-themed now, and have already got to work. Good thing I had those minis around, or I'd have run off and bought a ton more stuff.

Precisely what I did  ::)

I've already painted my first guy, but I'll wait with posting pictures 'til I can get my hands on a proper camera again.

Exciting.  It will be fun to see it.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the wizard/apprentice - It's hard to find good japanese fantasy miniatures. I've settled for some Clan Wars stuff, which I am trading for at the moment.

I have picked up a few outlandish Clan Wars figures for this project too.  Its a good source for filling the gaps in the more historical/pseudo historical ranges that I have gathered.

Thats why we are all here :)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »
Thats why we are all here :)

:D

Clan Wars has a lot of good stuff - Its a shame its hard to get by in the EU. I'll definitely be going for some of the monsters as well - Oni as summoned demons etc.
But I've made a resolution to paint my current warband first. Lets see how that goes  ::)

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »
But I will have to get some of the Oriental Heroes stuff that Foundry reissued.

Don't forget the Tales of the Dragon Kings stuff. That's perfectly suited for Frostgrave, especially stylistically.

It's Chinese rather than Japanese, though.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2016, 08:27:19 PM »

This project is expanding beyond the scope of Frostgrave a bit now, as I reckon that I will be able to push the project far enough to make a Dragon Rampant force. At some future point I may see if a mod can move the thread to the main Fantasy board.

Meanwhile however, all four of these guys are still first and foremost painted to fit into Frostgrave.

The blog post abut these four is HERE.

More to come.  Thanks for looking.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Samurai, Ninja, Orc 05/03/16
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
Purple, green and black - a knockout colour combination if painted well; and boy are these painted well!

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »
I concur!

And yes, it seems like my force will eventually land into Dragon Rampant territory as well Those two games seem like a perfect fit for when your collection grows a little bigger. I already have more henchmen than I need, and I am probably not stopping yet.

Anyways, lovely paint jobs once again.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »
Purple, green and black - a knockout colour combination if painted well; and boy are these painted well!

Thanks jp1885!  I have been uncomfortable painting purple for as long as I have been painting miniatures.  I chose purple for this project in part to counter that, to force myself to find a way to paint it that works for me.  Im pleased with progress so far.

Those two games seem like a perfect fit for when your collection grows a little bigger. I already have more henchmen than I need, and I am probably not stopping yet.

I re-concur :) 

I plan to build the force up in chunks, each could feasibly be its own warband.  The orc is the first member of a subgroup that is eventually planned to become its own contingent in Dragon Rampant.  Twelve models - the base unit size on DR - is a Frostgrave warband plus two options.  It makes loads of sense to work that way.

Something larger is next on the list.  Probably too large for a FG project, but I cant resist...

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Dragon 25/03/16
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 04:30:17 PM »
So yeah, dragons are beyond the scope of Frostgrave really, but I couldnt resist.

The prospect of painting the old Ral Partha/Citadel Oriental Dragon for this project was just too tempting.

Its only a little dragon really, but its characterful.  I have thematic plans to tie it in with my Wizard too, so it isnt a wild deviation from course.

The Citadel "Dragonette" familiar was suggested by someone else for possibly including on the figures base, but I thought that the "Mama Bear" scenario possibilities that having it based on its own would bring would be a better option, so I painted it alongside.

The blog post is HERE for anyone interested.  As the dragon was also part of a group dragon project it also features on a collaborative blog HERE.

The next figures for this project are the magic users.  Im looking forward to painting them :)

Thanks for looking!

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
That Dragon is the bomb!!! Love the scenery too!

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 08:53:17 PM »
Everything about your war band is amazing. The mini's, the painting, the colors, and the terrain. Excellent work.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 09:50:46 PM »

The scenery makes everything look better.  Its all about world building after all :)

Thanks for the kind feedback folks!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:57:54 PM by cheetor »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Mate, that's f@*king brilliant! Love the colours! :-*

Offline GypsyBreath

• Assistant
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 08:26:07 AM »
Very nice Dragon! fits well with the rest of your minis!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Wow! Amazing work.