Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Test of Honour 09/05/17  (Read 21367 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Skirmish Gaming 12/05/16
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2016, 03:43:29 PM »
Great looking table set-up and miniatures too.Were there traders at the event?

There were a couple of stands set up by local retailers.  The event was primarily a boardgaming affair, with our games being the only miniature games taking place, so not much miniature sales etc going on.

The idea was that we would have a small area of fully painted and pretty decent looking games to show some diversity.  It also meant that we could piggy back the logistics and the like set up by the boardgame con organisers (who a couple of us know personally anyway).

Just before the event I got three more miniatures painted.  These three old Citadel and Marauder models were fun to add to the slowly expanding Shonen Knives (sorry about the blurry photography in places).

The hobbit ashigaru is probably my favourite of the three, although I am very keen on the old Marauder Dark Elf warhound.

The blog post for these guys is HERE.

I have primarily been working on some more terrain for the last month or so, so the next posts will likely be about the progress there.

The high kicking ninja there is new too, but I forgot to photograph him alone.  His tale will follow at a later date.

Thanks for looking!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Elementals-Cavalry-Cherry Blossom 05/06/16
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Work continues on this project, with a bit of a mixed bag of items this time.  
The links will take you to the relevant blog posts which have more info and photos etc.

First is an earth elemental that I plan to use as a "Daidarabotchi" in my games.  Its a fun big chunk of Reaper Bones plastic that I painted rather rapidly.  Its was fun to add it to the Reaper "Spirit of the Forest" that I painted in 2014 to use as a not-Groot.  I plan to add another earthy elemental type to those two to make a full Dragon Rampant unit.

The painting on the tree guy is better than on the rocky chap, but I spent significantly more time on that model, so its inevitable I suppose.

Next is a unit of "Yūrei Raidā": six undead samurai cavalry from "Slave 2" miniatures.  They didnt turn out quite as well as I had hoped, but they have a table presence nonetheless.  Quantity has its own quality in the case of these Yūrei Raidā I think.

Custom cards, character damage trackers and acrylic tokens are shown in the above image.  Dragon Rampant plays rapidly and anything else that makes the game run even more smoothly is worthwhile to me.  

Latex dirt tracks and cherry blossom were added recently too.

Im currently working on other items to add to this project, so I should certainly have some more to show here by the end of the month at the latest.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:32:42 PM by cheetor »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2016, 04:25:16 PM »
More wonderful additions - I am really enjoying this thread. Keep it up!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »
 Great to see new additions to the collection.

Undead riders look good.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Great stuff Cheetor! An inspiration to us all! :-*

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone (and sorry for the delay in response, real life is a bit higgledy piggledy at the moment).

Im working on more items for a project that segues into this one at the moment, so it shouldnt be too long before there are more related miniatures for show here.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »
Each new addition is WONDERFUL in its own unique way, but all are VERY WELL DONE!
I LOVE the Tree Spirit & the Rock Guy.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Dragon Rampant Gaming 09/03/17
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
I played a few games of Dragon Rampant last weekend.  It gave me a desire to paint a few more bits and pieces for the Shonen Knives, with cross compatibility for Test of Honour in mind too.

Im not sure what I will approach first, maybe some more TMNT, but I think that my force of samurai needs a few more, well samurai in it.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2017, 09:51:29 PM »
Some wonderful work here. My favourite things are the cherry blossom and those scary ladies in green dressing-gowns.

I saw Shonen Knife play live in London in the early 90s. They were supporting Chumbawamba and put on a very entertaining and enjoyable show. Made a lot of loud noise for three tiny Japanese women, too. That's got nothing to do with anything, but thanks for reminding me of that happy memory. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
Great to see you finding more ways to get such lovely figures on to the tabletop for some game time.
 8) 8)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
I saw Shonen Knife play live in London in the early 90s.

Shonen Knife played in Cork (where I live) almost exactly twelve months ago, but I ended up bedridden with a nasty dose of flu.

It was very disappointing.  I very much hope to see them at some point, to tick the box as much as anything else.
Im glad that the daft pop culture reference got you in the feels Plynkes :)

Some wonderful work here. My favourite things are the cherry blossom and those scary ladies in green dressing-gowns.

The cherry blossom is so evocative, its great for setting the scene.  I have a few other bits and pieces to work on to fill out the table further over the next while.  Atmospheric terrain is critical for gaming I think.  Essentially its more important then the miniatures I think. 

Great to see you finding more ways to get such lovely figures on to the tabletop for some game time.
 8) 8)

Although I dont think that I could manage to get my projects to the vast size that you achieve Mason, I reckon that 28mm mystical samurai will keep on giving for many years to come.  I dont see an end in sight for the project.

Test of Honour will be another chance to paint some of the items that I think that I should be adding to the force, plus from what I have read the simple system has enough bells and whistles to suit me rather well.  Fingers crossed!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Shonen Knives: Bamboo Groves 28/03/17
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »

I got some bamboo groves made.

Gotta have bamboo for duelling in.  Training montages are well suited to bamboo groves too.

The aquarium plant style plastic "bamboo" that I used (from an Ebay seller) can be tricky to mount, so this link shows how I approached it.

Test of Honour is the next game system that I plan to use these figures and this terrain with, although for larger games Dragin Rampant is still my ruleset of choice.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2017, 03:17:47 AM »
This is really inspiring. There's too much to like and comment on...
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
Nice! I always love the riot of colours in all of your stuff!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
Those are great stands. They work very well.